Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast

Thread: Fridges

Forgot to mention when I got the thing home I plugged into the mains and tested it, went from 20*C to -22*C in both compartments in under 2 hours which I thought was pretty bloody good. Granted that's while empty in a 24*C room but was still impressed.

Holy crap that's big

Ps. got the 40L Stirling one from Aldi personally
    no complaints
    basically a re-branded/knockoff Primus
    (same Danfoss BD35F compressor as the Waeco CF50)

was $499 with a (gay looking) blue bag
    2003 GU PATROL
    1992 R32 GTST SKYLINE
    1986 4WD HILUX

"How about we rename it Domination Day and tell them to shut up or we'll finish the job. Then maybe negotiate back from there?" - Mr Ed

Quote Originally Posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
    Because the industry is huge, _everyone_ will tell you that you need to run dual batteries and sell you expensive chargers/boxes/etc etc for them but it's not true.

The good fridges include voltage cut off switches.
    Most fridges will be OK for maybe 24hours but a dual battery setup just makes life so much easier and if you've already spent 1.5k on a fridge another $500 isnt so bad and can be more easier than solar.

I run a Dometic/Waeco CFX65DZ but remember that everytime BCF run Waeco/Engel specials Anaconda will beat it by 10%. Huge savings.

Yeah, I've set mine to shut off at 11.8V. At the moment I'm using the OE rear power socket, the next car will have a proper power socket installed.

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by docile1 View Post

I run a Dometic/Waeco CFX65DZ but remember that everytime BCF run Waeco/Engel specials Anaconda will beat it by 10%. Huge savings.
    The anaconda manager I spoke to today said they won't beat "club member" discounts from bcf (which is the way bcf does it's sales)
    "Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Maybe he's trying to call your bluff?

BCF had Waeco CFX65DZ's on special for $999 with a free cover about 5 months ago and my local BCF didn't have any so i asked the bloke at Anaconda if they price matched and provided there was still stock at at least 1 BCF in Perth they were happy to do so. Then old mate pointed to the big sign at the front door that said they beat any advertised price by a further 10% and i walked away with the updated CFX and cover for $900

One big thing is that i'd look at an anderson connection over the standars cig socket plug. Its ok for general road use but for 4wding it just comes loose.

Probationarily unbanned
    Quote Originally Posted by docile1 View Post
    One big thing is that i'd look at an anderson connection over the standars cig socket plug. Its ok for general road use but for 4wding it just comes loose.
    I originally had my Waeco setup on an Anderson SB50, but these days I run a Deutsch DT. Even a big fridge like the CFX95dz draws under 10 amps so is well inside the capability of the DT-series connector and they're a lot less bulky than an SB50.

That said, I think I've got enough adaptors to plug my fridge into anything from the space shuttle to a 1850s steam train.
    Don't worry, thats just the self-preservation instinct, in my experience you can safely ignore it.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    The anaconda manager I spoke to today said they won't beat "club member" discounts from bcf (which is the way bcf does it's sales)
    Maybe not for normal retail customers, but the Anaconda club member price was cheaper than the BCF club member price. I also prefer dealing with my Anaconda store over the BCF one. As an aside, last time I was in my local BCF they had deleted a shit load of products/very little actual stock.

Quote Originally Posted by hotgemini View Post
    That said, I think I've got enough adaptors to plug my fridge into anything from the space shuttle to a 1850s steam train.
    lol
    2003 GU PATROL
    1992 R32 GTST SKYLINE
    1986 4WD HILUX

"How about we rename it Domination Day and tell them to shut up or we'll finish the job. Then maybe negotiate back from there?" - Mr Ed

Oops, so because the CFX95DZW is a big bastard, it just made looking for a new car a tad bit harder. Looks like I'm going to have to drag the bloody thing with me when I take an Everest for a test, along with some tools to pull the handles off it since I was told today it's a tight fit in an Everest.

Heads up to anyone with a Dometic fridge, they have an issue with the 12V socket failing fairly quickly. Mine tested OK when I got it, but then sat for a month until last saturday when we loaded it up for a quick trip to Melbourne for Christmas. Found out 5 minutes after we left home my phone couldn't connect to the fridge, so I can monitor temps etc, fridge wasn't powering up on the 12V socket. Tested the car socket and it was working, mind you this was at 6am so no one open. Made it to Wodonga where we tested another cable, still dead. Ended up having to buy a Dometic can inverter and powering the fridge off 240V in the car. Now to wait for the approved repairer to reopen so I can get the thing in to be fixed, covered under warranty. Apparently it's not an uncommon failure, dry solder on the socket. Just a PITA to fix as they have to pull so much of it apart to get to it.

Probably a different issue but those cigarette lighter adaptors are always bodging out, my fridge has an issue with voltage cutout using them but runs great with an anderson connector.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

There's a setting where if the voltage drops below one of 3 set levels the fridge will cut out, but will still power up. I did set mine to low, cuts out around 11 volts iirc. I'll be running an inverter in the new car anyway, although haven't decided if I'm going to run an outlet to the back where the fridge will live since the inverter will live under the driver's seat so it's close to the second battery. I hadn't thought about the Anderson plug idea, I'm planning on fitting a high current one on the towbar in the future just hadn't thought about one inside.
    I'll probably be lazy and just keep running the Dometic inverter I've got for it, worked well. Really should get the fridge cover though, probably would have kept it cool longer since I couldn't run my cargo cover, fridge sits under the cover but it got in the way of the suitcase because all the crap I took down. Hence needing a bigger car.

Oh yeah, a little tip I noticed in the manual, yeah I read it because that's what I do, try and fill the otherwise empty space with bottles of water/ice bricks so the fridge isn't trying to cool air. I chucked probably a dozen ice bricks in mine and considering it had no power, but was down to temperature when it was loaded, everything was still cold after 4-5 hours when I was able to get it working again.
    Last edited by irsa76; 30-12-17 at 03:48 PM.

Yeah the more thermal mass the better. Going from 12v to 240v and back down to 12v is a waste of electrickery though. Mini anderson or a high current hella plug (forget the name but look like a cigi plug but better) would be much better.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    There's a setting where if the voltage drops below one of 3 set levels the fridge will cut out, but will still power up. I did set mine to low, cuts out around 11 volts iirc. I'll be running an inverter in the new car anyway, although haven't decided if I'm going to run an outlet to the back where the fridge will live since the inverter will live under the driver's seat so it's close to the second battery. I hadn't thought about the Anderson plug idea, I'm planning on fitting a high current one on the towbar in the future just hadn't thought about one inside.
    I'll probably be lazy and just keep running the Dometic inverter I've got for it, worked well. Really should get the fridge cover though, probably would have kept it cool longer since I couldn't run my cargo cover, fridge sits under the cover but it got in the way of the suitcase because all the crap I took down. Hence needing a bigger car.

Oh yeah, a little tip I noticed in the manual, yeah I read it because that's what I do, try and fill the otherwise empty space with bottles of water/ice bricks so the fridge isn't trying to cool air. I chucked probably a dozen ice bricks in mine and considering it had no power, but was down to temperature when it was loaded, everything was still cold after 4-5 hours when I was able to get it working again.
    Inverter etc is a waste of power but if you are only using it when the car is running it probably doesn't matter too much, check the watt/amp rating on your cigarette lighter plug, even the better ones are too low.

Anderson 50 amp connector for fridge internally is pretty standard due to how shitty the cigarette connectors are / by default they don't have the wire thickness / too much voltage drop.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

Forgot to update this, the fridge wasn't the issue, Dometic changed the 12V plug to one that has a ring around the top which prevents it from fully seating in the accessory socket. Not going to worry about it until I get a new car, not worth messing around with the current one.

Im new to this stuff.

So if I have a 100AH battery

and the fridge is a 55l that drains at 0.16kwh which is 16wh which is 1ah?

Is that correct. So technically I have 100 hours before I kill the battery if it isnt charged?

Pretty open ended depending on ambient temp, actual consumption, how full fridge is etc and how deep you want to discharge the batt.

Most guys seem to be ok with 1 100ah and a 200w solar panel running just a fridge. Depending on sun etc.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Last edited by da9jeff; 20-01-18 at 04:54 PM.
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Cheers Da9jeff

Okay my GU patrol has one AGM Deep Cycle 100AH 780cca Battery at the front. The previous owner has made the rear Cigarette Socket straight to the battery as live so can use without the key.

So im thinking when I go to Fraser Rather than run dual battery up front.

Just have a battery box 100ah at the back. Plugged into the cigarette lighter port. Then fridge into that battery box. so It uses the battery box battery power. During the day when I drive around I will charge up the battery.

Would this be okay?

If you do that make sure you put a diode on the car socket so the battery box doesn't back feed into the car's electrical system. Made that mistake with a jump pack in a break down van I was building, we pulled the power for the socket from a ignition switched power stud under the dash which we thought also powered the ECU.

Would the batter box do that though already? I would assume the battery box has a plug just to charge itself? rather than feeback

Thanks Irsa

I'd never assume anything, the jump pack was plugged in via it's charge cable.

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    You can only run a 100ah battery down 50% or so, so count on less than you think. A normal 50-60l fridge will 'typically' go 3 days on a full battery.

As for your idea, just buy a $20 solenoid 100amp soleniod off ebay, and chuck it in the engine bay and run new thick cable to the back with an anderson plug. Then plug second battery into this when your using it. You want to be able to carry the bulk of the alternators current to the second battery when driving otherwise charging is too slow.

Best option is to put a permanent second battery under the bonnet using the same $20, then running a thicker cable to the back into a distribution block. This will then allow you to run multiple ciggy ports and lights etc permanently off the second battery.
    Last edited by nine2nine; 20-01-18 at 07:49 PM.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    I'd never assume anything, the jump pack was plugged in via it's charge cable.
    Thats a scary one. Better to be safe than sorry .

Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    You can only run a 100ah battery down 50% or so, so count on less than you think. A normal 50-60l fridge will 'typically' go 3 days on a full battery.

As for your idea, just buy a $20 solenoid 100amp soleniod off ebay, and chuck it in the engine bay and run new thick cable to the back with an anderson plug. Then plug second battery into this when your using it. You want to be able to carry the bulk of the alternators current to the second battery when driving otherwise charging is too slow.

Best option is to put a permanent second battery under the bonnet using the same $20, then running a thicker cable to the back into a distribution block. This will then allow you to run multiple ciggy ports and lights etc permanently off the second battery.
    Isra and nine2nine you mean something like this..

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/UNIVERSAL...wAAOSwaZdZw2BV

Previous owner has something going on under the engine bay. Ill take pics tomorrow.

Yeah thats the one. I just picked up power off the wiper motor, so key on = batteries connected, and key off = batteries isolated. Been like that for many years.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929

So those two electric points must be going to the back two Cigarette/anderson plug ports as the guy mentioned

https://ibb.co/dvUUob
    Last edited by DR GTR; 21-01-18 at 07:48 PM.

Are they just auto-resetting circuit breakers?

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929

Yeah thats the one. I just picked up power off the wiper motor, so key on = batteries connected, and key off = batteries isolated. Been like that for many years.
    Thankyou for all the advice mate. Much appreciated too. You explained it well.

Are they just auto-resetting circuit breakers?
    Sorry I have no idea what they are