Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Fridges

Damn that sux, and i was just about to just get an Ebay job

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/NEW-40L-P...0AAOSwYmZXIXOg

That looks like its basically a Waeco...same compressor?
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

How are these?? Really dont wanna spend over $600, then I need to get a slide.
    http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/40L-Elect...IAAOSwIgNXp1AQ
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Me personally,
    Wouldn't get anything other than an Engel or Waeco.. based on personal and mates experiences...

I understand the cost.. but it's something that you don't want to shit itself... no matter how good the warranty is, the hassle of having it die on you and have to take it back and fuck around with it will make you want to burn it....

Ohh, and no matter what you get - get one with a Thermostat that lets you actually set the temp and then the fridge.compressor starts and stops to maintain that..
    Some fridges (some Engel models included) have a dial from 1-6 (or 1-10 etc) and you set it where you think, then adjust it up or down using a thermometer. So, in summer, setting 2 "might" be 4 degrees, but in winter, 2 "might" be -2 degrees (based on ambient temperature etc) - That annoyed the absolute shit out of me when I borrowed a mates Engel. So I made sure I bought one with a REAL thermostat.. (ie, set the actual temp you want)

+1 for proper temperature control, didn't know any came with anything else, given my cheapo yumcha compressor has one.
    Parramatta Eels, 2009 Premiership rightful winners.

There's only (mainly) a couple of different compressors getting around, danfoss and the other one which no one rates.

come down to melbourne in a few weeks for the 4x4 show. apparently on the sunday arvo they have ripper deals so they dont have to cart the shit back to the shop.

fuckin hope they do. i might be able to get the missus over the line for a fridge this year
    Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 08-08-16 at 08:42 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

In my group of family and friends there is at least 6 40l Engels, the youngest being mine at 12 years old, the oldest is about 25 years old. All of them still work after countless trips, and even failing out of utes at speed.

They just go forever, and you get used to the dial temp setting in no time, it isn't rocket science.

Thanks guys!!
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Quote Originally Posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
    There's only (mainly) a couple of different compressors getting around, danfoss and the other one which no one rates.
    Danfoss is a commonly used rotary compressor and the other one is Sawafuji swing compressor as used by Engel.

http://www.roadtrucker.com/engel/eng...-technical.htm

I'm really happy with my Bushman, very versatile.

I'd have an Engel otherwise but the tall, skinny load shape shits me a bit. Plastic Engel is great value for money with BCF specials. It might cost a bit more than yumcha ones but you can't argue with oz wide service and proven reliability.

Depends how/where you're mounting it but I bought all the bits to make a slide and ended up solid mounting it. I thought I would want the slide with the way it's mounted but I don't miss it at all. Less rattles and space taken up is always a tick in my books.
    "Max, they're shooting at us!"

"Not only that, but they're also speeding!"

Thanks, bushman look nice!

Got a friend that can hook me up with the Ironman 4x4 fridge, they look the goods..no? I dont think I want to stretch to Waeco or Engel, too far over budget. Then I gotta factor in a slide, plus I want to buy a winch hehe
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Wow, so I bought one of those Primus fridge/freezers 80l? a few years ago for cheaps. Other than never having a decent battery to run it, it's been good. I like the wireless temp cigi lighter guage so I can keep an eye on temps while cruising down the road. I'm going to test it out at the end of the month on a remote camping trip, fingers crossed hey.

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    My FIL bought a 50l Waeco with cover for $700 from Anaconda, just got to wait for the sales/find a good price somewhere and get the local shop to price match.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Quote Originally Posted by GKA View Post
    Wow, so I bought one of those Primus fridge/freezers 80l? a few years ago for cheaps. Other than never having a decent battery to run it, it's been good. I like the wireless temp cigi lighter guage so I can keep an eye on temps while cruising down the road. I'm going to test it out at the end of the month on a remote camping trip, fingers crossed hey.
    Is yours a single or dual compartment ?? My mate took his back and got his money back as he was well and truly over it. Has not bought another yet - and as he is not heading away on another big trip for at least 6 mths - I think he is going to wait..

Mines the dual, must have bought it 3 years ago now. Maybe they changed the design since? Mine is stainless steel with red plastic

Quote Originally Posted by nine2nine View Post
    My FIL bought a 50l Waeco with cover for $700 from Anaconda, just got to wait for the sales/find a good price somewhere and get the local shop to price match.
    Yep, just saw the sales, going to get the CFX-35, still $840 but its the newer model and i guess ill have local support if shit goes wrong.
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Go the cfx over the cf, muuuch better rep for reliability.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

While we're on fridges, what are the insulation bags like? Are they worth getting?

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Yep, they work well.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Thanks lads, picked up the CFX-35 tonight, feels pretty solid~!
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Went to the 4x4 show today, ended up coming home with a techni ice 95l. Fuckin monsterous thing. So hopefully it lasts the distance. Feels solid enough.
    Got to meet roothy too! Top bloke
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

I've got a 110l evakool fridge I bought in 2008. It's basically an icebox with a fridge unit bolted on the side. I liked the fact that when the fridge eventually dies I can still use it as an esky as opposed to the engel/waeco option. Also I've done a boat building course and I'm confident I can repair the evakool gelcoat if I ever need to! Compared to other makes it takes up a bit more room with the packaging of the fridge unit however as it sits on the rear seat (I have no kids ha!) it automatically clearances itself for airflow due to the shape which is very convenient. I don't have to worry about blocking the airflow.

I grew up with one of the original (1982?) green engel fridges, it's been around Australia a few times and at last check it is still running. It was a toss up between the engel and the evakool when I chose the evakool. I didn't like the plastic fantastic of the 110L waeco in 2008.

The evakool has been everywhere, and it's never been off as it's a beer fridge when at home. it was $1300 in 2008 iirc.
    GTE23 - Collecting parts - Packed away in the farm container
    UZA28 - Collecting parts - Packed away in the farm container
    JZS47 - Sold to buy first house
    LN65 - Awaiting 1KZT dual transfer 4.88 electric locker transplant
    YN65 - Drive car and eventual cabin donor

Picked up this Dometic CFX95DZW yesterday, fucking big bastard but nopics wanted a separate freezer and with 2 near teens we'll need a every liter of it's capacity. Fits nicely in the frogbox, it's longer than the esky I used before but I also used a second smaller esky which would sit between the big one and the back seats, I did have to move the LH and center seat forward about 20mm though.

Can still close the boot cover, which I didn't expect. All though the blind stops one of the lids opening, the larger compartment as you would expect, but not an issue. And yes there is a power socket behind it, properly rated and ignition switched.
    Last edited by irsa76; 12-11-17 at 05:57 PM.

Irsa, those big nuggets look to have a better venting arrangement than the smaller ones allowing you to make use of the space that you need in front of because of the seat slope and behind because of the boot opening - is this the case or is there other vents elsewhere?

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    I'm looking at one of these

http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Waeco-...ew-list-anchor

So, how long will they take to flatten a car battery? Will they go overnight and be able to start the car next morning?

Sorry, fridge rookie
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    I'm looking at one of these

http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Waeco-...ew-list-anchor

So, how long will they take to flatten a car battery? Will they go overnight and be able to start the car next morning?

Sorry, fridge rookie
    I've been running a fridge in my Jeep Grand Cherokee overnight since I got it, starts up fine in the AM but if im not using the car until later that day i'll stick a solar panel (80w blanket type) on it to be safe.

it really depends on the car / strength of your battery, if you only want to run a single battery best to get one of those dual purpose ones which do both deep cycle / start battery type and stick the solar blanket on it if you aren't driving that day or in the AM.

Because the industry is huge, _everyone_ will tell you that you need to run dual batteries and sell you expensive chargers/boxes/etc etc for them but it's not true.

The good fridges include voltage cut off switches.

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Cool, thanks for your help
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Quote Originally Posted by MartyHusseinXF View Post
    Irsa, those big nuggets look to have a better venting arrangement than the smaller ones allowing you to make use of the space that you need in front of because of the seat slope and behind because of the boot opening - is this the case or is there other vents elsewhere?
    Only 1 vent, so I can stuff small/soft stuff between it and the back seat. There's about 25mm between the vents and the tailgate when closed, which because of the shape of the inner boot trim you can't use anyway as it curves to a small shelf below the window. I'll probably swap the lid hinges around so the open from the center of the car, at the moment they open from the outside which is abit of a pain, I'll see how it works as is when we go to Melbourne for Chrissy.
    Not worried about the battery draw in this thing as it'll only be used when travelling, and will be connected to mains power at caravan parks. Next car is likely to be a Multivan which will have dual batteries.

Chuck, I found Anaconda to be cheaper than BCF, not by much but rather cash in my pocket than theirs. In saying that, found out this arvo tent world would have been even cheaper, same fridge as mine plus the cover for $1519, I paid $1499 for the fridge.
    Last edited by irsa76; 12-11-17 at 09:12 PM.

Neat - that's the setup I want then, they (the one you bought) end up taking up far less space than you'd normally consider compared to other fridges, as on most you need to give space on both sides for the ventilation to work.

As long as your just running the fridge anything thing with a healthy battery will run it overnight and still be able to start the car. If you're utilizing the factory cig sockets it's worth checking the volt drop, mine was almost 3v less than the battery voltage with no load!

Nopics had a CF40, the inside is a really tall and skinny shape that would shit me if I had to use it often. If you're just using it to take drinks and stuff to the beach then it'd be fine but if you were touring/filling it and using it every day then I'd look into something more convenient.
    "Max, they're shooting at us!"

"Not only that, but they're also speeding!"