Page 18 of 41 FirstFirst ... 814151617181920212228 ... LastLast

Thread: 1979 Valiant CM Regal 'Survivor' Thread

You'll have your revenge at the end of the day when the rate of progress exceeds my budget and I have to spend months loooking at a 99.9% finished car in my garage.

Having said that, more progress!

Swaybar back in the right way:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2147.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	659.8 KB 
ID:	105484

And the last panel to be in bare metal, the dash, is just going back together:

Name:	IMG_2153.JPG 
Views:	18 
Size:	693.7 KB 
ID:	105485Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_2150.JPG 
Views:	15 
Size:	835.4 KB 
ID:	105486

Still waiting on word back from Street Elite for colour. Hopefully only a few weeks and it will be in the booth.

Given it's being painted shortly it's time to make a couple of the interior design decisions.

Here is the original interior. They were pretty shit, lots of plastic, brown and fake panelling.

Name:	ShitboxArrives08.JPG 
Views:	17 
Size:	104.9 KB 
ID:	105487

Given it's crap and I sort of drowned it a couple of times, plus the fact one of my patients runs a Hot Rod upholstery business and loves this thing, the plan is to throw the whole lot out and start again. The original seat frames will be used and that's about it.

My wife loves the Mustang Palamino combo, so I was thinking of painting the dash the palamino brown and sorting the rest out later:

The only issue there is we'll probably have to paint the steering column the same and somehow change the colour of the vinyl wheel (though I could always use a Mustang Motolita I suppose, they still make them).

It absolutely has to be brown and I'm after something comfortable with a bit of character - the seats will all be leather and new doorcards, handles and winders used. Should probably go electric, but I want my daughter to experience wind up windows at least once in her life!

I'm loving this colour combo with the tweed inserts:

I figure that will probably work with the palamino anyway, though the other option is to do the dash body colour.

Any thoughts appreciated!

Opens
    White exterior, brown interior is awesome.

You want the interior as close to a gentleman's club atmosphere as possible.

And by gentleman's club, I mean the big chairs, cigars and brandy balloons, not sticky carpet, cheap chairs and poles.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Iím wondering if I can fit a fold down walnut burr minibar in the rear centre armrest.

Yes, yes you can, it's only a little extra money to be spent.....

Steering wheel go to the usual US suppliers.

I'm with PXL2656, but hey, it's your car and your Wifes money

Are you going with a bench or buckets and console?

Btw, the seats in the Streetmachine pic look like TMI seats:http://www.tmiproducts.com/

Keeping it bench, six seaters all the way.

Iím thinking something with a diamond pleat centre and tweed inserts somewhere!

Are you going to bolster up the seats a bit?

Nothing will be saved from the originals except the frames, and they will be powdercoated. They'll pretty much be rebuilt from scratch and have actual padding added.

I've stalled this thing in a river and been stuck in it while water went halfway up the door cards - nothing is salvageable! Though I will sort of miss the smell, weirdly enough.

Found the Gopro footage of us drowning the thing in 2011 hidden on my NAS. It's pretty boring, but at least explains why I need a new interior.

Excuse the crap quality and editing - no point watching anything before the 4:30 or so mark:

Rescued at the end by a fellow PFer, though I can't remember his forum name!

This was the first and shallowest of three rivers that day. The second one we really fucked up on, and filled it up to waist height.

Turns out the stock CM intake looks like it goes into the top of the wheel arches but actually has hidden ducting down to below the headlights. Badness.

This is great motivation for me to do something with my XD. Loving reading progress on this.

There was a neat looking $400 ZK Fairlane I was going to look at the day after I bought this, it could have turned out very differently!

Part of me wants to do a Barra/Widened snowflake/half the RRS catalogue XD next, but most parts of me are like 'fuck that'. I'm doing a brand new build next time, I hope to never see rust again.

Still waiting for word back from the painter unfortunately, no progress!

Welcome to my world...... 🤣🤣🤣

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    There was a neat looking $400 ZK Fairlane I was going to look at the day after I bought this, it could have turned out very differently!

Part of me wants to do a Barra/Widened snowflake/half the RRS catalogue XD next, but most parts of me are like 'fuck that'. I'm doing a brand new build next time, I hope to never see rust again.

Still waiting for word back from the painter unfortunately, no progress!
    Where are you guys finding old stuff like this cheapish? I'm trying to find a doner Ford (pre 82) for all the left over bits from the Mustang and I'm struggling under $10k.

In my case, 2010...

Gumtree was always the best bet back then - though the Valiant was off Carsales.

Paint is allegedly happening in two weeks, provided it doesn't rain when I try to get it towed down from the coast (unseasonable wet weather in 3,2....).

In positive news - the guy I bought the mounts off did quite well in Drag Challenge to give me some inspiration:

https://www.streetmachine.com.au/eve...llenge-weekend

Considering he's running similar spec in a taller diff at least I know what sort of skids it'll be capable of. I'd be happy with low 12s, to tell you the truth. The more I drive an actual fast car on the road, the more I want this to be just a cruiser.

The cover photo on one of the Valiant groups at the moment has a hardtop with the same wheels that have been sitting in my garage for three years...

Mine are grey but otherwise identical, doesn't look as bad as I was half expecting. Though the brown also looks temptingly good...

Hurricanes? General Lee style!

They will look good on the old girl.

So is this painted yet????

American Racing Vectors!

Hopefully moves shops next week, but in this build always take a random number and double it.

Oh and from Marv's thread about fuel tanks.....

There are a couple of mobs that do the big tank with twin filler options if you want to lose pretty much all your boot space and spend even more money to outdo me in overcapitalising on an old Valiant

I'm hoping to keep it underfloor, there's a master plan that would leave me with an AW11 and Fraser Clubman to carry stuff and I need the boot!

I'm a bit worried about reusing the current tank given how may rocks we hit with it.

Well best to upgrade to the 160 big tank replica then, just to be sure that the tank will be fine....

And buy a cheap ute to carry shit in....

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Purple View Post
    I'm a bit worried about reusing the current tank given how may rocks we hit with it.
    Itís a valiant it will be fine. Never personally seen a fucked tank.

Quote Originally Posted by mopar lover View Post
    Itís a valiant it will be fine. Never personally seen a fucked tank.
    I have. Our old wagon when I was a kid copped a hole in the tank. It was patched with a 1/4" plate across the bottom of the tank.

It's probably more about at the cost to repair the current tank and convert it to EFI, vs whole new custom baffled stainless thing. While I see the obvious benefits of the long range tank, not sure having a range of 1100km+ in a weekender makes it worth it! Though that would admittedly hold a lot of E85...

It'll be easy enough to make the decision when we're looking at the old tank off the car.

It's these moments I sort of miss the advantages of the parts availability of the Mini - where an off the shelf new stainless tank was $180!
    Last edited by Mr Purple; 30-04-18 at 09:18 AM.

No interest in a factory style EFI ready tank? I have one on the way, was about $7-800 with a pump and all the bits once landed.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

There are only a few cars that have that kind of aftermarket support, Cam. CM Valiants aren't one of them.