Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: S15

S15

Dear PF

I thought Id post this thing up to hopefully give me some renewed motivation to actually do something with it.

Near couple years ago I bought this from Dimi:
    http://www.performanceforums.com/for...ec-2-2-stroker

Obviously heaps of fruit, fresh engine with everything, decent box, diff, brakes, ECU, you name it. So I looked at it and figured that Id just buy it and throw it over onto E85 and make bulk HP, too easy right? More on this in shortly.

Was making about 290rwkw on very conservative boost on pump when I got it. After a prolonged negotiation with Dimi on the purchase price, the drive back from ACT way became a 5 hour bumper to bumper affair due to a motorbike fatality. That said, it was a great way to get accustomed to the car, sitting in bumper to bumper traffic with air-con on was actually bearable & the car was composed.

I punted it around for a couple of months on the street before I decided that Id go down the path of getting it powered up with my initial plan of E85 conversion; which in my mind was bigger injectors, fuel pumps & a tune. Nice easy and cheap exercise. Decided I would grab some parts from PJ and get (the best) the boys at Advance to get it done.

Things quickly escalated & ended up with the below. For those who want to learn from my lack of mechanical knowledge this is what you require if you want to do an E85 conversion on a S15 properly:
    4x 2200cc Injectors & external coils
    These didn't fit with standard intake, so a new Plazaman intake manifold & throttle body to suit
    Intank Fuel Pump, Multiple External fuel pumps, swirl tank
    Surely thousands of kilometres of expensive fittings and braided fuel lines
    A metric shitload of things I don't remember like AF ratio gauge/sensors

Did about 1000km cycling it around on the street on a E85 base tune (over the course of a couple months which was exceptionally painful, no positive boost really!) while it cleaned itself out and once this was done got it down to JEM for a full tune.

Got the call from the boys down there 24 hours later who were quite concerned indicating that there had been an internal engine issue whilst starting to build some decent boost into it (I think at the time it was about 400rwkw @ 30psi @ 6000rpm) managed to bust several rockers so it was onto a trailer over to Advance to get sorted before taking back to JEM.

Shortly thereafter the tune was done and the final result below just shy of 450rwkw (or 600rwhp) at 34psi of boost.

Finally all back together and running properly realised it isnt a great street car in terms of being able to use the power; however if youve got the testicular fortitude it is exceptionally exciting (frightening) for an OPH run. With 235 street tyres full throttle isnt really an option in any gear on anything less than a perfect dead straight smooth road which really adds to the experience. Seriously comes alive on a 3rd gear onward roll!

Figured this wasnt the place to test it and went to Powerplay in 2015 in pleb class, only really got 3 runs out there and to be honest it was boring as fuck waiting around for another run. It also became enormously massively clear after a few stints down the main straight with zero traction that Id need to do more around the setup if I was to in any way get any practical use out of the power.

Sat on this thought for a few months before taking it in for more:
    New set of adjustable TEIN suspension (set nice and soft in the ass)
    Set of the new MT S/S 255/60/15s on Z32 rims (with rear guards rolled to suit)
    Spare full set of S15 stock wheels for the sleeper look!

What an amazing difference that made!

Id put it down to the combination both the suspension and radials at the same time (with proper alignment) that led it to be massively more stable under any hint of throttle. On the street with the radials up to temperature on a decent surface you could get full traction in 2nd and beyond. With this new found confidence it was time to put it to the test.

So Powercruise 2016 (in a garage the only way to go!).

Throughout all of the sessions the car was flawless. Plenty of tough cars to cruise with and roll on with but so many lunatics. Alternated between the radials and the street tyres for the duration of the few days, what was clear is that without the radials it really wasnt worth trying to drive fast. Took it to the strip for one of the sessions and what was also even clearer is that I had no idea how to drive.

Last time I was there was 2005 in a standard R32 GTR and I ran a 12 with a broken oil pump, so I was a little bit disappointed to run a 16, a 14, then a 12. Apparently you need to let the tyre pressures down on radials in order to achieve traction. I rage quit well before someone pointed this out, and I was unable to diagnose a misfire off the line at the time (subsequently sorted later as noted below).

Still, it was a heap of fun and there wasnt a single mechanical issue all weekend despite our garages looking more like a mechanical graveyard than a garage. Ive already paid for a garage next year.

Post Powercruise took me 3 months to drive it again and I had a couple of little problems:
    A) realised the pissy little Oddesy battery despite being on a drip charger really wasnt up to the task, infact it was dropping charge at idle and therefore explained why it wouldnt hold revs off the starline at WSID! The fix was a decent sized proper battery, relocated to the boot.
    B) Drivers side power window motor died (a genuine car problem!) PS: This is fucking expensive to buy a OEM one for future reference, lucky to get a hookup.

Subsequently, the car is all together and running as good as it ever has. After sinking all the money and time in the world into it I realise I should probably never sell it as I wouldnt get 50c in the dollar, so Im in for PF group buy on a shed for storage to start a Grand Turismo garage so it sits somewhere other than here.

But I should probably drive it more. That is my csh, thanks for listening.
    Last edited by Morgs; 19-08-16 at 09:48 AM.
    Find your Freedom
    Home Loans | Investment Portfolios
    www.FreedomFunding.com.au

Click here for deal for PF Members

600rwhp S15 - For Sale
    C63s AMG
    AU Falcon Wagon (no gas)

Nice car.

450rwkw out of a SR20 is............. fucking hell
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Rick seemed to go well at Powercruise would have liked to give you a run but too many boosts all too late you were off lol . Planning on venturing out to the drag strip again?.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    450kw? Yeeha! Sweet.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

But more importantly how does it compare to a vu Maloo?

Also, nice car. Just saw a very similar one here in Nagasaki and allowed the follow up on why nopics should get one

Sent from my GT-S7275Y using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by 7HEAVN View Post
    Rick seemed to go well at Powercruise would have liked to give you a run but too many boosts all too late you were off lol . Planning on venturing out to the drag strip again?.
    At some point I'd say so mate. It should have a decent time in it with the right driver behind it!! (I.e. not me)

How's your going now??
    Find your Freedom

600rwhp S15 - For Sale
    C63s AMG
    AU Falcon Wagon (no gas)

Clean looking s15 and fantastic power result. Looking forward to seeing what it can do next time at the drags since you sorted the little problems.

On the plus side, it's not on its roof.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Very cool. 450kw is excellent power!
    Do you run a flex sensor or is it just straight E85?

I'd like to finish the E85 swap on my SR20 but haven't had the time.
    I also want to run it on flex fuel.
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Broads says do a skid.

Quote Originally Posted by piss98 View Post
    There's always one jerk. 😂

Opens
    Came for upside down car image, left dissappointed.

Seriously, good to see you still enjoying cars Rick.

450kw is stout!
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatboy View Post
    And i'd still fuck Betty....

Quote Originally Posted by Morgs View Post
    At some point I'd say so mate. It should have a decent time in it with the right driver behind it!! (I.e. not me)

How's your going now??

Sold in on mate got a decent offer as the car sat with the 2 piece rb26 block lol I was never in love with the car to be honest apprantly the new owner is going spool 3.4 should make it a better thing . Slick it up and get it out there mate has some decent gear behind it including a r33 box right?.

Quote Originally Posted by TJ View Post

Seriously, good to see you still enjoying cars Rick.

450kw is stout!
    Lol I think that joke will live with him for ever on PF.

Quote Originally Posted by 7HEAVN View Post
    Sold in on mate got a decent offer as the car sat with the 2 piece rb26 block lol I was never in love with the car to be honest apprantly the new owner is going spool 3.4 should make it a better thing . Slick it up and get it out there mate has some decent gear behind it including a r33 box right?.
    Far out, at least you're out... what next?

Rear end has everything it needs to get it down & the box is a rebuilt RB25 box so no excuses!

PS: I would expect that if I sold this one it would also end up upside down so by not selling this one we avoid chapter 2!
    Find your Freedom

600rwhp S15 - For Sale
    C63s AMG
    AU Falcon Wagon (no gas)

Far out, at least you're out... what next?

Rear end has everything it needs to get it down & the box is a rebuilt RB25 box so no excuses!

PS: I would expect that if I sold this one it would also end up upside down so by not selling this one we avoid chapter 2!
    No idea mate I'm trying to stay away but I will end up buying something soon it's inevitable .

600whp in a Silvia hahaha

That sounds pretty fucking dangerous, good work

I've still not driven this since I posted this thread so I figured I should probably buy a friend for it so it isn't too lonely

Find your Freedom

600rwhp S15 - For Sale
    C63s AMG
    AU Falcon Wagon (no gas)

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Cool

The 450rwkw, was that still with the 35/66?

where is this group buy garage? I need some storage lol

Quote Originally Posted by piss98 View Post
    It took 9 posts?!?! I am disappoint.
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

I've still not driven this since I posted this thread so I figured I should probably buy a friend for it so it isn't too lonely

more details please!
    Quote Originally Posted by doods189
    Will throw in around $3000 worth of reptiles and acc as part payment and maybe if partner let's me a 50in plasma 3d tv

Good choice Rick!
    CAD Automotive Paint Correction

Nice mate

Fuck decent powers out of the sr and great looking sleeper
    DJ's don't need sigs

Still no skid pics...
    Panzer Wagen

M-Cars follow the idea that power should be felt & not seen

Quote Originally Posted by andymac View Post
    still no skid pics...
    qft

ALLMTR: Yeah - still with that old thing. It really needs to be replaced with a precision which would no doubt make more power and come on quicker, but I don't think I'm bother to change it unless investing into a dogbox to go into the thing as well. RB25 box is unfortunately the limiting factor to actually making the most of the power.

Bought the VF GTS as a daily driver in a quest to rid the world of fossil fuels. It is a bone standard 6 speed manual. I'm not sure if I'm enjoying having a manual or not, its great out of traffic though. First impressions after a week on the road aside from a giggle at the fuel bill are that the manual box/clutch is a little agricultural but I suppose it'd need to be, I'm going to keep it stock forever.

Noted on the skid pic feedback, I'll get onto that at some point....
    Last edited by Morgs; 22-09-16 at 06:24 PM.
    Find your Freedom

600rwhp S15 - For Sale
    C63s AMG
    AU Falcon Wagon (no gas)