Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 70 series landcruisers

70 series landcruisers

Hey, I'm wanting to get a bit of background/general knowledge about 70 series landcruisers, for example, what the difference between 75/78/79 series is, what the engine options were, and all sorts of things like that, so I guess the first question is, how accurate is this wikipedia article? https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Toyota_Land_Cruiser_(J70) And is there any other good places to look for some general info?

Cheers, Gab

It's fairly accurate but things are different in different countries.

For Australia.

70/71 = SWB
    73/74 = MWB
    75 = troopy or trayback with leafs all round.
    76 = coil front wagon
    78 = coil front troopy
    79 = coil front ute and dual cab

Light dutys and overseas models throw in some different numbers and some overlapping ones. Eg pre 98 wagons were also 78s but we didn't get them here.

SWB and MWB came with 3F (4L I6 petrol), 3B (3.4l 4cyl diesel) and 13BT(direct injection turbo version of the 3B). Most in any sort of reasonable condition are imports which are 24v and miss out on suspension seats. There's base models and LXs, LXs get the suspension seats, carpet, elec windows, chrome bumpers/grill, altimeter/inclinometer ect. There's also light duty 70s (Bunderas) which have coil springs and Hilux mechanicals. They are all quite rare. There are a handful of HZJ73s in Aus but you'd be better off converting another model than specifically looking for one. They are unicorns anywhere in the world.

75 came out in late '84 and until 1990 had the 2h (4l i6 diesel). In 1990 they got the 1HZ (4.2l i6 d) which also had a smaller front diff.

98 they got the coil front, bigger CVs, 1HZ got the R151 gearbox which is relatively unreliable (easy to swap for a H15x though). Utes got a slightly longer cab, longer wheelbase and no more fold down windscreen. The HDJ78/9 was also released, this is the 4.2TD and to many is ultimate model which is reflected by their silly prices.

2007 onwards we got the current V8 models.

Dunno if you know anything about Toyota model codes but it goes like this. Lets say we have a HZJ78, the first letter or (in this case) 2 come from the engine, a 1HZ. J is the letter for the landcruiser family of vehicles, 7= 70 series, 8 = coil front troopy.

So HJ75

H = 2H engine, J=landcruiser, 75 = 70 series leaf front troopy or ute.

There's not really a lot between all the non turbo diesels, they're all slow but the 1HZ is the best. 3Bs don't have as big of a rev range as the 6s and the 2H is just plain old and getting harder to get parts for, though it's easy to swap in a 12H-T. You can buy anything for a 1HZ including brand new engines from Toyota and quite a bit of aftemarket stuff. Contrary to popular opinion they all take to boost quite well but I'd rip the head off and do the precups. Plenty of people running 30psi+ in all of them these days.
    "Max, they're shooting at us!"

"Not only that, but they're also speeding!"

In before post about me being here.

Get a cayenne.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

i need more letters
    There's also ones with PZ engines (5-cyl diesel based off 1HZ apparently). I've seen a couple of SWBs for sale with them.

Any one know much about the new ones? I would love a wagon (Workmate) and there seems to be a few MY16 for good prices. I think they had a safety update late 2016 so I assume the one's for sale are pre update. Have they fixed the oil issues and a few other things over the past few years?

drive them for work, the 4.5l turbo V8 Is shithouse compared to how it should be, especially in contrast to the beastmode V8 in the 200 series. has LESS torque than a 4 cylinder 2.8L hilux. and drives like crap. WTF.

sounds like you're reving the tits off it at 100km/h on highway. needs another gear.

basic as fuck, no power anything. a few year old prado is a better car in every way.
    Last edited by burn is weird; 30-01-17 at 03:13 PM.

Oo___oO

Opens
    I often wonder why people buy a 76 wagon over a 200 series. Fuck me, for 10k more you get twice the car , literally. Same said for top line prado @ 90k. A vx 200 can be had for 5k more, and again its twice the vehicle. The 70 series have their place, and have minimal competition in the market. The lastest update (end of 2016) see's them with a taller 5th gear, gay auto locking hubs, and more safety shit
    Diseasel 80 series with 100 series

Because some people like to hose their interiors out?
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Opens
    Italics? Buy a gx 200 then

Main changes to the new car are a bigger chassis on the single cab only for ANCAP crash performance. All of them get a bigger bonnet bulge and DPFs and shit but otherwise same donkey chassis in the others. Also other odds and ends but that's the big stuff

And don't forget the narrow rear axle, 3" narrower or some shit.

Bundera version also came with a 22re (2.4 petrol).

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    That hasn't changed with the 16MY update I don't think. But yeah 50mm wider per side at front
    Last edited by lukevl; 01-02-17 at 11:09 AM.

Total shit. Buy anything else.
    Sloth: [Sloff] Noun, like Skompa but with euro shitboxen, a large bearded person, with a penchant for cider and garlic pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    That's retardism cunt stop discriminating against me and my fellow retards.

Would only ever buy one if a farmer or a tradie that needs something heavy duty, IE minesite work.. For regular tradie work/cruising/4x4 don't waste your money. They're overpriced, way underspecced, and rough cunts.

Opens
    A cut down 200 series is the go

Quote Originally Posted by irsa76 View Post
    That's for the mini tubs...

Excellent info from @sideways as usual. I would suggest that if you're intending to pick up any of the cars you would test drive all of them as close as possible to each other so that you can feel the differences for yourself. The actual feel of the car would be the most important factor for determining whether you'll get it or not

I could possibly get a 2016 wagon for high 40's. I would prefer this over a similar aged Defender (already owned) which would be around $70k.
    These are $65k new so a big saving.

Anyone watch 4x4 overlander on YouTube? The pommy bloke that did a heap of vids in Africa but has moved to Perth for 3 years.

Bought a dual cab 79 and started kitting it out, discovered that it came from factory 300kg heavier than tare so he's trading it on a troopy to do more of a pop top build rather than the slide on he was planning. Its not bad if you can handle his voice.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Quote Originally Posted by T T Celica View Post
    A cut down 200 series is the go
    Considering how much some people throw at 79s to make them livable/useable this isn't as stupid as it sounds. That said, it depends on your intended useage, for most people a cutdown 200 would be fine, but those who really use their trucks hard would probably be better off in a 79.
    If I had the coin I'd be reasonably happy to drop the $160k on a ready to roll Patriot campers 200 supertourer, Creative conversions 200 dual cab with camper canopy on the tray and all the good bits. Sounds expensive until you learn a basic Creative 200 ute is $120k, GXL diesel. And doesn't come with all the bars, twin winches, lights, canopy etc.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    In before post about me being here.

Get a cayenne.
    Im only 5 mths late but did Lol. strangely you where the first person that came to mind.
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Funnily enough, I just did as well.

anyone had anything to do with a rear coil conversion for the 70's?? jmacx and now superior make them. hard to find something wrong with a 76 wagon with coils....

Providing you overlook the drivetrain, ergonomics, practicality and aesthetics you mean?

I have a vdj79 work car that gets replaced pretty often, the currant one chucks a CEL every time I do the highway speed limit and I have never gotten over 1000km out of the 180L fuel capacity.

Absolute shitboxes, no good as a 4wd and the only thing they do well is carry a heavy load on poorly maintained dirt roads. If you don't want to carry a heavy load on shit roads then I would avoid one like the plague.

Quote Originally Posted by lukevl View Post
    Providing you overlook the drivetrain, ergonomics, practicality and aesthetics you mean?
    Still better than a defender.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

7x series 'Cruisers are all shit.
    They take utilitarian design to extreme levels and as a result are fucked to live with but people make-up ridiculous excuses to justify owning them and pay $60k++ for the privileged.

No electrics is stupid but bearable, but the ergonomics are fucked.
    Having your knees are pressed against the dash if you're tall in a modern "full size 4x4" is a joke.

And the 4.5T V8 is beyond underwhelming. The Hilix/Dmax/Triton are half the capacity with more torque, more power and better on fuel.

I prefer driving manual, but people are paying $20k to companies like Marks 4x4 for an 6L90 6-speed Auto conversion? What the fuck.
    Last edited by RMX; 27-03-17 at 03:32 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkicker View Post
    How many blowjobs to pay off that debt?

^^^ This pretty much sums up 70 series. My mate has a dual cab 79 and carries on about it like it's the world's best 4wd. Dead set it is like stepping back in the 80's when you hop inside and drives like it from the 80's too. Can't fathom why people justify and pay so much for a poorly equipped, outdated and uncomfortable vehicle.
    The customer.

Seem to see more high spec builds than you did on the previous 70 series, but that might just be the scene these days.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah