Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Compound turbo setup

Compound turbo setup

Hi PF.

just thinking out loud here, but i pose a hypothetical situation.

3.8 v6 commodore engine.

T2871 turbo as primary on 100% of the exaust flow. big single, or even dual if need be, external wastegate feeding a second much bigger turbo, like a T70 say.

but the output of the t28 runs straight to the throttle, no intercooler, quick boost/low rpm spool 8-12psi estimate, having the T70 run through an intercooler and blow into the T28 for mass top end compound boostings. up to roughly 20psi total boost.

is this feasible if put on an engine that could handle the boost pressure? ie, L67 bottom end or forged, head studs, etc.
    and will it net quick boost response? or will it get strangled from the small T28?
    thinking about using it for drifting, and not sure if i want a laggy big single turbo.

just throwing ideas around, speak to me oh grand performance gods

The small turbo will build too much heat without an intercooler and the small turbo will still choke it a bit. With 3.8 litres of the finest Buick could deliver in 1950, you can still spool a decent size turbo pretty quick. GT35 will light off pretty early, even step down to the biggest GT30 you can get on it.

If you're still keen on compound boost, use a complete L67 with a decent size turbo feeding it.

Maby try fitting a motor to your van first. Then start dreaming about 10,000hp builds.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

So how are you going to fit two turbos over the gearbox????
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    So how are you going to fit two turbos over the gearbox????
    Wut?
    caprice nugget.

Quote Originally Posted by jimmyg View Post
    Maby try fitting a motor to your van first. Then start dreaming about 10,000hp builds.
    To be honest I was trying to work out what to do with the t28 I have here that's likely gonna sit and rot.

It was intended to be twin turbo with two t28s but that would be super easy under the van, but less so in the commodore.

So can we continue to discuss compounding boost and talk less about my other thread, or I'd have asked in there.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
    The small turbo will build too much heat without an intercooler and the small turbo will still choke it a bit. With 3.8 litres of the finest Buick could deliver in 1950, you can still spool a decent size turbo pretty quick. GT35 will light off pretty early, even step down to the biggest GT30 you can get on it.

If you're still keen on compound boost, use a complete L67 with a decent size turbo feeding it.
    Would it be acceptable to feed the smaller unit into the cooler as well then? Or is it still on the small side? I'd estimate to be looking around 300-400rwkw

Quote Originally Posted by klampykixx View Post
    So can we continue to discuss compounding boost and talk less about my other thread
    no
    HR31 Coupe - RB20, Bilsteins, Cage and shit
    R31 Ti - Sun Visor, Venetian Blinds, Coilovers, Whiteline Bars, Wog Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

Quote Originally Posted by lysdexia View Post
    no
    but why

BOOSTFARKIN
    300-400rwkw with a mang won't be that easy...
    Go straight to LSx
    Your Chinese t28 would make a worthy paperweight if ever used... so I would not be to worried.

If you want to drift/ circuit racing a bogandore would not be my first pick especially with a mang in it.

Yeah I hate to say it, but your power goal is unrealistic with a commo V6. There is a guy with a commo V6 in, I THINK, a Morris 1100 or something of that nature, can't remember exactly, but he went a compound setup with twin T28s and twin GT35ish sized turbos and it only made mid to high 200s at 1bar boost.

Quote Originally Posted by Ben. View Post
    My goal is unrealistic.

This, this and this needs to be the OP's new sig. Hehe
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    300-400rwkw with a mang won't be that easy...
    Go straight to LSx
    Your Chinese t28 would make a worthy paperweight if ever used... so I would not be to worried.

If you want to drift/ circuit racing a bogandore would not be my first pick especially with a mang in it.
    Making 300+rwkw from an Emotec nowadays isn't all that hard. Not that it would be my first choice but I made about 380rwhp out of a dead stock one about 6 years ago. As long as u keep the revs to a reasonable level it can be made somewhat reliable. Using an l67 bottom with Eco top with cam and springs can do 500rwhp without too much reliability issues but for that money ur engine options are increased greatly.

Quote Originally Posted by Commotion View Post
    Using an l67 bottom with Eco top with cam and springs can do 500rwhp without too much reliability issues but for that money ur engine options are increased greatly.
    Is that swapping the heads or just the manifold?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    Is that swapping the heads or just the manifold?
    Either way works. Bung up injector holes in Eco inlet and run injectors in l67 head or swap heads. But then u might as well do mls head gaskets and then while heads off might as well port and modify for extra lift. Where do u stop? That's why I reckon turbo a $300 EcoMoo and be happy with the 350 odd rwhp and don't touch a thing. Have fun ripping skids and save up for a better motor.

So the motor in question already has lowered compression from stock, balanced and 40thou over bottom end. A turbo cam and matching valve springs.

I was thinking I'd step up to the genuine Holden L67 head gaskets and head studs before I go boost, and yes while apart I'd tidy up the ports.

I do agree that a single turbo would be 100% easier to setup. I was really just looking for a reason to use the t28 I bought for the 4cylinder.
    So based on that, is where I got my 300-400rwkw number from

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    I do agree that a single turbo would be 100% easier to setup. I was really just looking for a reason to use the t28 I bought for the 4cylinder.
    just go and throw it in the fucking bin or sell it, using wrong shit just for the sake of it usually costs more in the long run regardless of how many differents points it gives you.

or buy another one and put one on each bank, compounding on petrol motors serves no purpose whatsoever IMHO.

Ok thanks for the attitude, but I agree. I'll see if I can sell it or swap it for something useful.

Ok thanks for the attitude.
    Your welcome!

Yeah not to dampen your spirits, but I own plenty of tools and I have some spare timber, doesn't mean I should build a house. The reality is that you have one small, relatively cheap piece of a pretty big, complex system. It's easy to fall into the trap of "I have a turbo and a car, I should make a turbo-car", I've done it myself. Just put some skinny tyres on it and drift it as is?

Hi PF.

just thinking out loud here, but i pose a hypothetical
    So if someone was to build such a device as a compound setup for a moo, what would someone do, typical parts required/recommended and would it make big power or not much more than an equivalent single large turbo?

wtf
    Quote Originally Posted by oioioioioi View Post
    I've never said or implied everyone on that page was a deadshit - just that there's a concentration of deadshits there. Think of it like a mine, but instead of a rich vein of gold bearing quartz, it's a rich vein of spastic bearing facebook posts.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Any peanut who thinks they could have done it better from the comfort of their armchair or work desk is a genuine mong level potato.

So if someone was to build such a device as a compound setup for a moo, what would someone do, typical parts required/recommended and would it make big power or not much more than an equivalent single large turbo?
    maybe

It's almost like you people are scared to think outside the square.

Fuck me for wanting to have a conversation about something interesting.

Have a go ya mug.

Fuck this place with its knicker knotting and you're wrong attitude of late. Who cares, turbo selection may not be the best but hell give it a go, don't think it was mentioned this was a precision built supercar, or did I miss that part?

One thread people praise ghetto not quite right, next bag out a bloke doing the same thing....really?
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

More that he ignores all sane, sensible, hard earned advice from people who know stuff and then comes back with another hair brained fantasy that we all know will never happen.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

It's almost like you people are scared to think outside the square.

Fuck me for wanting to have a conversation about something interesting.
    There is a difference between thinking outside the square and trying to be different just for the sake of being different.

The former involves having an idea about how something might work, the latter involves saying "I have this thing which probably isn't right, tell me how to use it in a system I don;t understand and tell me if it will work but if it won't work don't tell me it won't work"

Is this going in a van?

No it's not happening in the van at all. It's staying stock v6 for reliability.

I wanted to talk about how it would be setup, if there's any benefits to it over a single big turbo of the same intended boost pressure of 20-30psi
    What items would be utilised in such a setup and what the engine would need to have to make use of it.

The 3.8 was the example because it's what I know. And I will eventually be turbocharging at least one fucking motor. Wether it's a single turbo setup or whatever.

It was mentioned that twincharge would go ok, but I was slammed for mentioning compound turbos. What's the difference?

Discuss so I can learn.

Please.
    Last edited by klampykixx; 07-10-16 at 08:47 PM.

I clearly started on the wrong foot with my suggestion that I might use the t28 I have.

The commodore will likely end up with a bigger single turbo but for now that's just a dream.

I was watching YouTube and it just seemed too easy to setup for it not to be more popular so either I'm missing something or its not what it seems.

Perhaps word your hypothetical question differently, maybe:

"Hey guys, is there any point to compound turbocharging a petrol engine? Kindly do the needful and revert. Lots of love, klamps"

It was mentioned that twincharge would go ok, but I was slammed for mentioning compound turbos. What's the difference?
    Please.
    a PD supercharger and turbo compliment each other, two turbos in series is all the bad points of a turbo but twice IMHO (and I will admit here that I was once convinced that twincharging would be shit because of reasons, but I'm a big fan of it now. largely because a PFer went out and twincharged a motor with great success). You would do it on a diesel where you want 11ty PSI of boost and lag isn't an issue, but not on a petrol motor.