Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Land Rover Disco 4

Land Rover Disco 4

Thought I might as well start a thread on our new TDV6 Disco which some good PF advice helped me buy.
    Pretty boring so far It's a TDV6 Graphite basically a base model. It has a few good options like the Rear Active E diff I think it's called, also has tech pack, a cooled centre console and blind spot monitor.
    So far I'm really happy with it we have done one decent trip with plenty of muddy dirt roads and dry rough dirt she's very bloody comfortable to travel in. Can't wait to do some proper 4wding in it.

I'm planning doing the following mods-
    A tune and exhaust although I don't want to ruin the travel comfort with noise. So far it's a toss up between a Genie stainless system or modifying the stock exhaust as it looks decent I could probably upgrade the dump pipes and piss off the cats.
    I've bought full length genuine roof rails that I'll intend to use with a Rhino Pioneer platform rack.
    I'll need to get some spot lights, although I want to look at upgrading the stock headlights to xenon ones as the stock ones are woeful.
    Not sure about a bull bar yet, I don't really want to but I hit too many roos.
    I'll probably run a dual battery setup for our fridge.
    I'd like to upgrade to DAB+ if it's not too hard the modules aren't too expensive.
    And window tint had to cancel my last booking because of rain, I think I'll do 35% on the front doors and 15% on the rest.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161009_224406.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	5.58 MB 
ID:	95553   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161009_224301.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	5.38 MB 
ID:	95554   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20161009_122702.jpg 
Views:	26 
Size:	4.25 MB 
ID:	95555  
    Last edited by Berger; 09-10-16 at 10:19 PM.

Nice one. $?

B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Nice to finally see some pics!

I did a factory DAB+ retrofit in a 2016MY D4 two weeks ago, not a big job at all really, and I've got all the parts you need in my stash as it turns out...

Retrofitting factory Xenons is also not too hard, but you need to get lucky finding second hand headlights, buying the parts new is very hard on the wallet. I'll keep a lookout for you.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals

Cool I already owe you a bottle of JD I'll drop it if next time I'm in sydney. Where is the best place to buy the DAB module and how much dash disassembly is required?
    I'm happy to pay a bit for xenons as spotties are going to be bloody expensive for what I will get and I'll be able sell the standard headlights. I came across some new xenons on ebay but it said they were only to replace xenons does that sound right?

Best place to buy the DAB+ module (and other parts needed) is from me because I have everything you need sitting in a box on the floor in my office!

No dashboard disassembly, everything is in the boot and in the roof cavity at the rear. Very similar to when I put DAB+ in my Freelander http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842552769 but the 2013 onward D4 uses a different antenna amplifier and you need a longer coaxial cable, which I have spare.

The 2016 D4 we did two weeks ago also got the upgrade to Meridian 825W Surround Sound at the same time, and we put factory TPMS in it as well.

As for the headlights, my understanding is that the connectors on the units are the same for Xenon or Halogen, you just need to edit the Car Configuration File settings to work with the Xenons instead. It's about a 30 minute job for the programming. There was a firm in the UK who was making some special cables for other Land Rover models to make headlight upgrades, but that was for putting later model lights into earlier cars i.e. Disco 4 headlights into a Disco 3 and so on. If you get Xenons from the same model year they should just plug straight in, it's only a programming matter which is not a problem, for me anyhow...

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals

Can confirm headlight plugs are the same. ��
    Sloth: [Sloff] Noun, like Skompa but with euro shitboxen, a large bearded person, with a penchant for cider and garlic pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    That's retardism cunt stop discriminating against me and my fellow retards.

Sloth FTW.

Well there you go then, it's just a matter of editing the CCF and plug in the Xenons...

Regarding the headlights, have a look at these on ebay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/222202243321

They are RHD bi-xenon lights. They are not "genuine" Land Rover ones, but they are made by Valeo, the original supplier to LR and are being sold as aftermarket ones.

I can get them for 431 each plus shipping out of the UK. They normally "retail" around 455 each, whereas the originals from Land Rover are something like 870 each...

Quote Originally Posted by Berger View Post
    I'm happy to pay a bit for xenons as spotties are going to be bloody expensive for what I will get
    What would you get? Best driving lights you can buy go for under a grand for the pair.

I was thinking about getting the light force HID and LED combos. What are you refering to as the best driving lights? Fyrlyts?

Jon loves his Hella Rallye's

They look pretty good they don't look like they have LED DRLs ate they a mid spec light? How much brighter are the xenons? I thought xenon lights were just a halogen incandescent light globe filled with xenon gas. Or are they a gas discharge light like a HID?

Land Rover Disco 4

Xenon = HID

And bi-xenon lamps have an actuated flap that opens when you put it on high-beam so you get the full xenon/HID illumination with no vertical cutoff.

They are bloody bright.

I have bi-xenons on my XJR, the additional halogen main beam lights can't hold a candle to them...

EDIT

The ones in the eBay link look identical to what's on yours now?

Yeah I thought they looked the same as well, that's good though definitely worth the upgrade if they are that much brighter. I'll PM or email you JN about getting the DAB stuff off you I should be up at the end of the month.

looking at these recently, what options are the hotness and how much should I pay for a 2013/4 one? (melb)

Quote Originally Posted by im_boostn View Post
    looking at these recently, what options are the hotness and how much should I pay for a 2013/4 one? (melb)
    I test drove a 2013 which is the first of the 8 speed zf I think, they wanted 63k still couldn't sell it for a while at 59k I was keen on it until I drove it and it didn't drive well By the looks of it the thing had a hard 59k km.
    I was looking at second hand SDV6 with under 20k km and they were about the same as my new one 80k ish the TDs like mine are missing a few things they should have like electrically adjustable seats.
    The options I had to have were Tech Pack for reversing camera, Meridian 380w stereo which I think they all have, leather is an option but they all seem to have it bloody nice leather to. Active rear diff option.
    The main things that make me kind of wish I'd waited and found a pre loved SDV6 is the electric seats, higher state of tune and Xenon headlights mine are pretty average.
    Read this thread http://www.performanceforums.com/for...-4-Recommended

I think we covered most things to look out for in the other thread.

Yours has manual seats? What??? Just the passenger seat or the drivers as well?

Converting a manual passenger seat to electric is not a big deal, I've done a couple of Jag seats from manual to electric, just need to swap the base frames with the motors, the back frame and cushions are the same. To be really sneaky you get a LHD drivers seat base and put it in the RHD passenger side for extra gadgets...

Headlights can be fixed like we said

I'll email you the details of the DAB+ parts/programming later.

No worries. Yup mine has full manual seats which is a bit of a pain at the moment cause I've got a fucked broken femur that doesn't bend very well, even our old 06 Territory has electric adjustment.

Triumph Rover Spares in Adelaide have a wrecked 2014 D4 HSE which would have electric seats in it...

http://triumphroverspares.com.au/pag...1690#viewimage

They know how to charge though!

thanks for the reply, yea i found the thread shortly after reading this one. didn't realise we had two 4x4 sub forums. Probably looking at a discovery sport at this stage.

Quote Originally Posted by redbucket View Post
    Jon loves his Hella Rallye's

Nah, FyrLyt fanboi these days.

What are you refering to as the best driving lights? Fyrlyts?
    Yep.

You could always buy the genuine spotlight kit for $1200...

VPLAV0019

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Triumph Rover Spares in Adelaide have a wrecked 2014 D4 HSE which would have electric seats in it...

http://triumphroverspares.com.au/pag...1690#viewimage

They know how to charge though!
    They reckon $850 each and they're apparently immaculate. I could cover them with my leather couldn't I?

Well that's much less than I expected from them, the electric bases as new spares are more than that.

What colour are they and what colour are yours? What you need to keep in mind is you also need the plastic trim panel that goes around the seat base that has the switches in it, if that's a different colour to yours then it's not going to be too helpful...

Yeah swapping the leather covers over is not a big job.

Can you get some pictures of the donor seats, also of the switches that are on them, and the VIN of the wreck so I can look it up? If it has memory seats you might want to grab a few more pieces out of it to make it all work.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJonWB View Post
    You've changed man.

Alright will do he said it was black and assured me that they were good enough to go straight into a new car.

for 1200 for the gen fogs, there are better options. ill dig up the make later
    Sloth: [Sloff] Noun, like Skompa but with euro shitboxen, a large bearded person, with a penchant for cider and garlic pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    That's retardism cunt stop discriminating against me and my fellow retards.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJonWB View Post
    I've never seen the FyrLyts in action I have been very happy with the two sets of Light Force lights I have had and wondered if there is really a need for HID or LEDs. I have Narva 225s on my ute now and they're bloody average. Hella definitely make a good light as well.
    I need to come up with a mount if I don't get a bullbar.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    for 1200 for the gen fogs, there are better options. ill dig up the make later
    Genuine lights are ZKW, considered OK but most of their products are built to OE cost requirements. Hella, Cidie/Valeo and Bosch are better.

I've never seen the FyrLyts in action I have been very happy with the two sets of Light Force lights I have had and wondered if there is really a need for HID or LEDs. I have Narva 225s on my ute now and they're bloody average. Hella definitely make a good light as well.
    I need to come up with a mount if I don't get a bullbar.
    If you have been happy with Light Force you would be bloody ecstatic with FyrLyt. HID and LED are a step backwards.