Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: 427ci XD - The drag (in-and-out of shed) car

I know it's great to have goals but how about finishing the damn thing and just running it at the track. A moving target is hard to pin down and the suspense is killing me.

Then you actually get to enjoy it, considering all the pain you've gone through.
    Last edited by Greg Rust; 25-11-16 at 10:31 PM.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Yes this is true, which is exactly why I've decided to stick with what I've got, get the thing together and see what happens. I'm still dreaming of a Bryant crank, super high tech pistons with piano wire rings, some of the new Scott Cook race heads, and a sheetmetal tunnel ram reaching for the sky.. but I'm also well aware that it's just a dream right now

Something very wrong if u cant run low 10s or 9s . heck my vk ran 10.000@135mph with on 530hp
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

The number on the machine doesn't always equate to a number straight away on the track, manifolds, carbs etc always play a part. I've got a Blue Thunder split manifold that's been extensively ported and was done for an engine turning to 9k, and is probably a little bit big for my engine, air speed drops hurt on shift points. Also haven't got the right diff gears yet.. like I've said a few times, I'm not writing off a 9.xx but it's not going to happen first session like I'd planned before hand.

I'm trying to be quietly optimistic here but you cunts are driving me to Prostock numbers again

750hp is a lot!!!!
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Agree 750hp is fuckloads.

Wouldn't worry much about what it runs untill way after it's up & running reliable enough that you trust it..also after you've got bit bored with street skids lol
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

There's more to running a number than just throwing power at it. Get it running and then start the learning curve of making the car work. Racing an 11 sec car is more fun than talking about a 9 sec one. Adding power is easy to do later and you'll be doing it more than just once. If you get hooked on racing the whole car will evolve constantly and never be done
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    There's more to running a number than just throwing power at it. Get it running and then start the learning curve of making the car work. Racing an 11 sec car is more fun than talking about a 9 sec one. Adding power is easy to do later and you'll be doing it more than just once. If you get hooked on racing the whole car will evolve constantly and never be done

All of these things. I want the thing together so I'm working towards that, whatever it makes, it makes, I'll run the car and see where I can improve it as a whole before I just go throwing more horsepowers down its throat

Need to ring Johnny, see if I can get the car in soon at Monro Racecars for the rear housing to be measured up mm perfect. As much of a race car as it is, I don't want it sitting sky high just to fit the 275 radials under there. I'll find some pics of the housings he makes when I get home.. they're works of art, and my Courier will probably get one of his Hilux housings eventually.

Going to see Mr Toca when I'm in Brisbane next also, give him the pistons that I've decided to use, and the new manifold, so he can start porting the shit out of the heads to suit the manifold, and machining on the bottom end can start if he has the pistons. Still need to order rockers, so might try squeeze in some overtime during the Christmas period when most people go on holidays. Have time off for Summernats, was going to head down with a few mates but not sure if one car will be ready to reveal, or the other one ready to cruise

Well if you got Johnny on board , it will be sweet as .

Spoke to Johnny today, gonna try get the car done sometime in February. Chrome Moly housing, lightened 3.0mm wall tubes and Strange Pro-Race gun drilled 31 spline axles. I've just got to swap my 275 radials onto the rims, set it up under the car and give him all the measurements and offset of the brakes so he can order the axles and make the housing, then I'll drag the car around to his place and he can setup the pinion angle and ride height

For those who haven't seen his work..

And these are the Hilux housings, going to throw one of these in the Courier when I notch the rails in that.

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    3.0mm wall tube
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

The benefits of chrome-moly..

Yes , He does awesome work. Had plenty TIG welding done by him over the years.
    This project will be very nice , keep up the good work .

So he does the housings for Geoff at Race Products?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan

those fabbed diff's look shit.

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    those fabbed diff's look shit.
    So shit I'll probably powder coat it clear hahahaha

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    So he does the housings for Geoff at Race Products?
    Yeah he certainly does

Munro does top quality work! Awesome build mate!! Bring Fenno down and I will go for a roll with you lads in the wags!

...annnnnd on life rolls!

Quit my job up north at the start of the year for more time at home, planned to have a few months off and do absolutely nothing but that got thrown out the window when I discovered the condition my rental property was in, so I spent a few months working on that, then when money ran out decided I'd go back to work. Currently doing a cruisy FIFO job, good camp, not much lost time in travelling and most of all pretty good workshop and doods to work with.

Have given TOCA a little bit of cash along the way, along with a set of Callies rods and T&D rockers. When the rental renovations are finished ill be selling that house and dropping the money into my residential, as its a far better investment. I dare say the motor will cop a fair bit of love too.. with hope that it gets completed this year!

I did buy a set of Prostars in 15x10 with 3.5" backspace as well, as I figured custom diff width necessitated a set of billets for the street with as much dish as possible.

That's Sir Cunt to you... krisr's Avatar
    15x10 brostars with a 3.5 backspace do look nice and fat, I'm very biased though

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    If you can't appreciate that then you are more narrow minded than the most mulleted, flanno, thong wearing, thong slapping, 253 owning, southern cross tatted, fuck off
    we're full stickered, VB drinking bogan you'll ever meet

Yeah I haven't had a chance to test fit them under the guards yet, but its coming. I've got a new set of 275/60's I'll throw on there to measure the diff width properly.

Soooo who likes ups and downs and twists and turns...?

The XD is soon to be overtaken in the garage hierarchy, with the latest addition a certain candidate for the 427.

In saying that the XD will not be forgotten, with another engine already lined up thatís none too shabby either.. because after keeping the car for this long I couldnít bring myself to sell it, even at the inflated price I was offered a while ago, so I wheeled and dealed and shuffled some parts and wheels and whatever else I could sell to make the latest purchase viable. Enough about the mystery mobile anyway, thread when it arrives in a month or two.

Wowsers. You like a project.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Hahaha yeah sometimes I just canít help myself! But the beauty of the new plan is it will allow much more frequent use of the XD, and take it from all out drag to tough streeter.

Plus thereís always nitrous...

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Wowsers. You like a project.

PM sent re new project

So the drag car, has once again been dragged to a new home.. the block has now been prepped as well, and custom pistons ordered and have arrived. Pics when Iím back from work. In the meantime hereís one of its new residence..

stuffed in the corner is the other project that is now sidetracking me. Good thing about that, is itís going to absorb all the engine/driveline parts that have been deemed not quite enough for the XDís 427, and the goal of well over 2hp/cube for it. So side project will be 6-650hp 408 Cleveland with transbraked C4 before the year is out.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Noice

So the car made it out of the shed for a wash and clean out the other day, getting it prepped to pull the spare engine in the bay out as Iíll be using that block for the XWís 408

Pulled the backseat out and cleaned underneath, floors look pretty good apart from a few dents where it looks like someoneís jacked it wrong or dropped it off a trailer as thereís a couple in the sills too :-/

Might throw the Wilwoods on the front while Iím waiting for engine parts for the side project

Build thread on new project?
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Sports Sedan