Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst 1234

Thread: Performance Street Tyres

What about the Yokohama Advan V105
    http://www.yokohama.com.au/Tyres/ADVAN-Sport-V105.aspx
    They get decent reviews. Not an R-spec like the AD08R.
    If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

AD08R are not r specs. Tyres considered to be r spec have a tread wear rating below 100. Eg. 80. AD08R have a twr of around 180 I believe.

I find it so difficult to fathom why so many people dont understand the difference between R spec and road tyres.
    I know the lebbo tyre companys push it wrong but on here I think people should know better.
    I told them I once raced cars (total lie ) pissed them right off I will think of something bigger.

turbosurfer

Quote Originally Posted by HSV Senator View Post
    Thanks for the responses guys, I was heading straight for the Michelins but keep hearing a lot of good things about the RE003. I have Bridgestone S01 on the car now and dont rate them but also have Pilot Sport 3 on the Lexus and probably want a better tyre then that for the Monaro. I am really only interested in dry grip while having the tyres as quiet as possible, longevity and wet weather performance don't matter for how I use the car. So it does seem that the Michelins are still the better choice for me.
    PS3 seem better than Re003 to me unless you prefer a slighty stiffer sidewall
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    I find it so difficult to fathom why so many people dont understand the difference between R spec and road tyres.
    I know the lebbo tyre companys push it wrong but on here I think people should know better.
    Manufacturers putting r everywhere in the name of the tyre doesn't help either. AD08R, rsr-r, rs3 etc.

Quote Originally Posted by E30is View Post
    PS3 seem better than Re003 to me unless you prefer a slighty stiffer sidewall
    Interesting, I won't be going RE003 then!
    Holden Monaro CV8-R
    Lexus IS250

Quote Originally Posted by GHZ28 View Post
    Latest 2017 UHP tyre tests from Europe, for their Summer, seem to be rating the PS4 as the best allround
    tyre. http://www.tyrereviews.co.uk/Article...-Tyre-Test.htm Have a look at that one,
    and also look at the other tests. Unfortunately the RE003 is not a "rated" tyre in Europe and misses out
    on many of the tests.

We are selling a lot of the PS4s now, I have them on two of my cars, and they are a noticeable improvement
    in noise and wet performance over the PS3s. We also sell a lot of RE003s and users seem to come back to
    buy another set.

My ute has PS3 on the front in 235/40R18 and PSS on the rear in 265/35R18. This has been a great
    combo for the past year, but will be replaced with PS4 when the time comes.

I personally think the PS4 is a good allround choice, and so is the RE003, but the
    PS4 is quieter by far. Too new to have a personal idea on mileage though.

In the interest of full disclosure, I own a Jax store.
    A lot of good info in here, thank you.

My local tyre place thinks I can fit 245/40/18 on the front of my Monaro despite it being lowered. I was told this couldn't be done but also in this area I doubt they do many Holden cars so they may be wrong. However if true that does open the option of running Pilot Super Sports. Having used them yourself, do you rate the Super Sports more highly than the PS4?
    Holden Monaro CV8-R
    Lexus IS250

Quote Originally Posted by barrintom View Post
    Had a set of Conti Sport Contact 5. The grip in the wet and dry is really good, but tread life/wear isn't great.
    I've got them on my M3 and I thought they were bloody marvelous on the track. No idea about the wet as I've not really pushed it in the wet.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I've got them on my M3 and I thought they were bloody marvelous on the track. No idea about the wet as I've not really pushed it in the wet.
    Very true. I was very surprised how well they gripped. Had them as road fronts on the turbo taxi. Even in only 245 they gripped like shit to a blanket but were gone in a few thousand kms. Can't remember exactly. Will use again for the M140i as road tyres. They won recent motor test and are brilliant in the wet too. Tread wear rating should be 80. Didn't test on durometer but they were soft. Continental have a lot of very similar sounding tyres and assume we are talking about the same one.
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4

Continental Contact Sport 5 is what I have.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

About to do another track day in the M3 and as I've sorted a few issues will probably press on a bit more. All my track experience has been with slicks and semi-slicks. Anyone know what I should be aiming for hot with these Conti's? I figured maybe 35psi hot, starting from 30. Thoughts?

Throw some slicks at it, it will be easier, and quicker......

How long have these been available for? Anyone tried a set yet?

I'll be up for a new set soon so its time to do a spot check on prices and performance.

(Prices are via Tirerack with a crude conversion into $AU since Australian retailers still don't know how the internet works.)
    All prices are for a 225/40 R18

Hankook RS4 - $225 per tyre - My RS3's have lasted longer than I expected and performed great. For the right price I wouldn't hesitate to buy a set of these.

Yokohama AD08R - $226 per tyre - My lap times with the hankooks were identical to these, Yokohamas wet performance is quite a bit better better, sidewall flex is less communicative than the hankooks but I still really like the AD08 overall. They might be a similar price at Tirerack, but everywhere I have priced these in Australia the Yokohamas always cost way more (Tyresales.com.au has them for $328 so they can gtfo). Noisy as fuck too.

Bridgestone RE-71R - $227 per tyre - Americans think these are the tits but Americans also think that Autocross is motorsport. Since Yokohama/Hankook seem to have the Aussie market I never see these tyres on cars that are worth paying attention to so don't know what to think.

Michelin Pilot Sport Cup 2 - $350 per tyre - Euros maz out over these tyres all day every day. Porsche can't be wrong with their choice of OEM tyres but these things cost an arm and a dick. I really want to try out a set but I want a bit of evidence to justify the price tag first. Will probably wind up being $500 per corner.

About to do another track day in the M3 and as I've sorted a few issues will probably press on a bit more. All my track experience has been with slicks and semi-slicks. Anyone know what I should be aiming for hot with these Conti's? I figured maybe 35psi hot, starting from 30. Thoughts?
    Nobody replied so I ran 35 hot. Robbo at Norwell confirmed that's about right for a non-semi street tyre.

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Impressions?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

anyone used the new Michelin pilot sport 4? they are supposed to be alot better than the pilot sport 3 as the 4 are more of evolution of the old PS2 unlike the PS3 which were evolution of the PE2
    Last edited by E30is; 03-09-17 at 10:59 AM.
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    I'm having a set of them installed tomorrow, Pilot Sport 4S.

Have heard many good things about them, hopefully they are worth the expense.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

I ended up getting the PS4 (can't get the PS4S in 18"). I haven't had them on too long but they are a decent tyre, better than the PS3 that are on my Lexus. They are quiet and comfortable but not really grippy, although I'm yet to venture to the track to fully confirm that
    Holden Monaro CV8-R
    Lexus IS250

Just got a quote for Pilot Spot Cup 2's for $360 per tyre in 225/40R18. At that price I just might give them a go for science. Will they be $120 per tyre faster than the Hankooks tho, that is the question.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Impressions?
    Missed this. Pretty bloody decent for what they are and what they cost.

Missed this. Pretty bloody decent for what they are and what they cost.
    Thanks!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

(TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    I'm having a set of them installed tomorrow, Pilot Sport 4S.

Have heard many good things about them, hopefully they are worth the expense.
    How did you end up finding the PS4S? I've found that the PS4 are a bit soft in the side wall and not grippy enough for my Monaro but do ride really well and are quiet. I would expect the PS4S to be just as well behaved while not having those downsides.
    Last edited by HSV Senator; 05-11-17 at 12:13 AM.
    Holden Monaro CV8-R
    Lexus IS250

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Short answer is, they are awesome.

Longer answer is I don't have a back to back comparison of them in this particular car, as I did few other changes to it as well as tyres.

Before;
    5 year old Pilot Supersport about 80% gone and rock-hard, zero traction
    Open diff and stock suspension.

After:
    New PS4S, Quaife LSD and new/better springs, shocks, and a few other suspension pieces changed.

The car was only on the road once with the new tyres and open diff, and it was obviously better, but I can't give you a detailed review.

But it's pretty bloody awesome now.

They are the most expensive tyres i've ever bought, and the best performing ones too.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Short answer is, they are awesome.

Longer answer is I don't have a back to back comparison of them in this particular car, as I did few other changes to it as well as tyres.

Before;
    5 year old Pilot Supersport about 80% gone and rock-hard, zero traction
    Open diff and stock suspension.

After:
    New PS4S, Quaife LSD and new/better springs, shocks, and a few other suspension pieces changed.

The car was only on the road once with the new tyres and open diff, and it was obviously better, but I can't give you a detailed review.

But it's pretty bloody awesome now.

They are the most expensive tyres i've ever bought, and the best performing ones too.

Thanks mate, its good info. Your car sounds very well sorted now!
    Holden Monaro CV8-R
    Lexus IS250

I ended up getting a deal that I was pretty happy with for a set of Cup 2's. Will be hitting Wakefield Park on Wednesday to see what's what. Problem is my car also has a new turbo upgrade so lap times might be a bit hard to compare, but i'll report back on the feel and cornering speeds either way.

3 for 4 deal for Potenzas inlcuding RE003s until Christmas.

(TM - AVENGE)

S001s should be included in it too. RE003 not available in my sizes so considering them instead. Jax Web price for 3 though is only marginally cheaper than a set of 4 x PS4S from tyresales (who don't appear to have the 3 for 4 Bridgestone offer).

What about RE070's, still my go to tyre in 225/45/17

Quote Originally Posted by MZ21 View Post
    What about RE070's, still my go to tyre in 225/45/17
    They're Potenzas so yes but it would have been quicker to google.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    I ended up getting a deal that I was pretty happy with for a set of Cup 2's. Will be hitting Wakefield Park on Wednesday to see what's what. Problem is my car also has a new turbo upgrade so lap times might be a bit hard to compare, but i'll report back on the feel and cornering speeds either way.
    How were the Cup 2's?
    BMW M140i daily.
    Honda Odyssey.
    FG XR6T ZF - Road registered 410rwkw Circuit car.

Wakefield 1.07.386 (Street Tyres 1.08.8) Marulan Short 43.4 SMP GP 1.48.1 Winton 1.35.4