Page 17 of 18 FirstFirst ... 7131415161718 LastLast
Results 481 to 510 of 540

Thread: FWD Commodore

  1. #481
    Tycoon Donald Trump's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2015
    Location
    Off White House
    Posts
    689
    Quote Originally Posted by MexicanBatman View Post
    Maybe if they offered a 10 year warranty they might sell one or two
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    7 year warranty 7 year capped price servicing. It's an appliance
    Commodore & Equinox to now get 7 year warranties

  2. #482
    PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    The Crime Zone
    Posts
    30,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    Would you sway a market though?
    To be honest, I'm actually trying to work out why someone in the market for a car which I have no interest in would or wouldn't buy one.
    I'm guessing at the motives of others!
    But if someone bought a Captiva ... or a Cruze ...

    GM hasnít broken into the euro market at all
    Really? Astras seemed pretty common over there, and Opel have been around forever. What're you referring to, they've had bad sales? Wonder if it's a result of pushing all that Daewoo stuff reducing their cred(eg. Lacetti & Chevrolet branded stuff)?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

  3. #483
    bitch lasagne Bob Vegana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sonova Beach
    Posts
    6,240
    GM were big sellers in Europe for a long time.

    They're fucking nowhere these days though.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewdles View Post
    In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

  4. #484
    Look behind you... Milkman Don's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Location
    look behind you
    Posts
    3,055
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vegana. View Post
    GM were big sellers in Europe for a long time.

    They're fucking nowhere these days though.
    This was more my point and Captiva Forg mentioned it too, they had success with Opel for many years yes but then they tried to send in the Chevrolet badged Korean junk and that failed miserably. Now the frogs own Opel so is a good indication that GM have seen the end
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

  5. #485
    aka SpaZdA (tm) mondo2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,340
    Does the ZB Commodore have the ECU in the engine bay like the Cruze? If so I might go down to the local Holden Stealership and "accidently" spill a super sized Coke in the engine bay. Hopefully the detailer will pressure wash the engine bay and kill the fucking thing.

  6. #486
    bitch lasagne Bob Vegana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sonova Beach
    Posts
    6,240
    What a bizarre thing to say.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewdles View Post
    In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

  7. #487
    Ellis Juan mizone's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Western Australia
    Posts
    4,168
    Quote Originally Posted by mondo2000 View Post
    Does the ZB Commodore have the ECU in the engine bay like the Cruze? If so I might go down to the local Holden Stealership and "accidently" spill a super sized Coke in the engine bay. Hopefully the detailer will pressure wash the engine bay and kill the fucking thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vegana. View Post
    What a bizarre thing to say.
    I've been meeting a few Cruze owners, or should I say former Cruze owners. All are like this towards Holden now. They (Holden/GM/Gheywoo) have a real issue amongst the general populace thanks to the Korean stuff.

    Oh and Captiva owners. Geez they got but hurt when their diffs let go and took out there gear boxes or the engine died. Then wrecking yards offered them $2k for cars six months out of warranty. You think these people will buy another GM product?

  8. #488
    Registered User irsa76's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2011
    Location
    Queanbeyan
    Posts
    9,243
    Lol, my SIL, you don't want pics, tried to trade her craptiva in on a new Kluger. She was offered $3k at the most, she claims 1 dealer reckoned they wouldn't take it as a trade at all. She's now trying to sell it privately.

  9. #489
    PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    The Crime Zone
    Posts
    30,102
    Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    I've been meeting a few Cruze owners, or should I say former Cruze owners. All are like this towards Holden now. They (Holden/GM/Gheywoo) have a real issue amongst the general populace thanks to the Korean stuff.

    Oh and Captiva owners. Geez they got but hurt when their diffs let go and took out there gear boxes or the engine died. Then wrecking yards offered them $2k for cars six months out of warranty. You think these people will buy another GM product?
    I don't believe that even the majority of people who'd buy a car which was demonstrably shit bought & were burned by a Daewolden!
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

  10. #490
    aka SpaZdA (tm) mondo2000's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    1,340
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vegana. View Post
    What a bizarre thing to say.
    It was said in jest.

    Innovative Mechatronics are doing a roaring trade in exchange Cruze ECUs. A lot of them have been killed by washing the engine bay, sometimes even with just a garden hose.

  11. #491
    PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    The Crime Zone
    Posts
    30,102
    ^ It's going against the design intention. Chevrolet never expected a Cruze buyer to wash their car!
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

  12. #492
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Jul 2003
    Location
    Adelaide
    Posts
    3,576
    We are (well up till now) a Holden based fleet at work - various flavours of commodores depending on manager status , commodore wagons for most city sales reps, 2WD dual cab Colorados for the sales reps who want/need them and 4WD Colorados for the country reps who need them.

    The car policy is currently being re-written to cover the post-"real commodore" environment and the rumour is a mid-size SUV like Equinox is the front runner for wagon replacement. The new Commodore is not on the consideration list.

    They trialled diesel Captivas a few years ago. One engine block replacement, one engine mount replacement and a diff replacement from a sample size of three cars under trial was enough to stick with commodores (at least until they stopped making them).
    Yes we Chemistry

  13. #493
    bitch lasagne Bob Vegana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sonova Beach
    Posts
    6,240
    The Euro GM stuff, like the Insignia, Astras, Vectras, and SB/XC Barinas weren't too bad. Not quite as nice as VAG stuff can be, but most people were pretty happy with them. The new Commodore certainly falls into that catagory. I wouldn't lump the ZB into the same realm as the Captiva and Cruze. I'd be surprised if there was much Daewoo in them at all. VF's electrics were pretty much Korean-sourced.

    If Holden had stayed away from the Korean shit for their passenger cars, and focussed on the Opel stuff, their brand image outside of Commodore would be a lot better.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewdles View Post
    In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

  14. #494
    PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    The Crime Zone
    Posts
    30,102
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vegana. View Post
    I wouldn't lump the ZB into the same realm as the Captiva and Cruze. I'd be surprised if there was much Daewoo in them at all.
    [sniperoo]
    If Holden had stayed away from the Korean shit for their passenger cars, and focussed on the Opel stuff, their brand image outside of Commodore would be a lot better.
    Yeah, I think everyone that's commented on the Daewooness is talking about dissolving of the brand reputation, notsomuch comparison to the Insignia.
    Although the SB Barina and TS Astra were a tad disastery ... TS's were nice enough to drive that Holden sold heaps & then the electronics all broke ...

    As for that Daewooishness ... a Daewoo was, after all, a 20yo Opel platform built of cheaper materials than the original and (sometimes) with new panels hung on the outside. So it's more like there was Opel in the Daewoos than any Daewoo in an Opel.
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 08-03-18 at 12:00 PM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

  15. #495
    VW Service Bloke Sloth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    3,668
    I loved my xc barina.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty! View Post
    I like cars. Cars are cool.


    I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

    robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

  16. #496
    Registered User FioriGuy's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Western Isles
    Posts
    993
    Edit: out of sync
    Last edited by FioriGuy; 08-03-18 at 08:05 PM.

  17. #497
    Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    9,263
    Curiosity got the better of me as I went by my local dealer today so I dropped in for a look. I was the only person doing so.

    Looked at the RS, which is theoretically the SV6 replacement. It didnít grab me much. It looks ok in a nothing-extraordinary kind of a way, with the wagon being much less good looking than the VF equivalent around the back.

    Inside itís...okay? Again, nothing special. The lower spec models have a pretty ordinary cloth trim that would make you want to upgrade to a leather trimmed model, but then youíd be paying more and the value equation starts to undo itself.

    Seat/pedals/wheel relationship was hard to get right. The wheel felt miles away and too high, but any lower and youíd block the instruments. That might just be my leg to torso ratio though. Windows are shallow and it felt hard to see out of and a bit claustrophobic.

    Seats were soft and not well bolstered or particularly wide.

    Basically, a VF SV6 is a nicer place to be.

    At least the space is decent. Slightly less rear room behind me than a VF but all right for most people. It wonít take three across the rear too well - thereís a big transmission hump, probably the same one as the AWD models.

    I thought about taking for a drive but really couldnít muster much enthusiasm for the idea. So I didnít. Maybe thatís unfair and it drives really well.

    I really did try to keep an open mind but it didnít grab me. And I admit had a moment of feeling a bit offended actually seeing the Commodore badge on the back. It doesnít look or feel like one.

    I came away wondering whoíd be interested in it. Most people will ignore it and buy an SUV. Sedan buyers who donít care about cars will buy another Camry. Enthusiasts will buy a Stinger or a used VF.

  18. #498
    Registered User Falc&Send's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Nations Capital
    Posts
    2,960
    Pretty average review on drive.com.au

    https://www.drive.com.au/new-car-rev...ew-117470.html

    Though itís comfortable enough on the road, the new Calaisí steering isnít on par with the previous-generation machine which offered better balance and genuine potential for driving enjoyment.

    Our test car wasnít quite right, exhibiting a disconcerting clicking noise within the body when working the steering while parking or manoeuvring at low speeds. Holden said the issue was caused by a pre-production part that shouldn't be an issue in models sold to the public.

    Though it may be a one-off gremlin, there are a few mis-steps in the new model including a manual over-ride for the automatic transmission positioned the wrong way around - previous Commodores asked you to pull the gearlever back to shift up, but the new model takes the opposite approach, one that differs from what you might find in its new Equinox SUV.

    Verdict

    That might not sound like a big deal, but it speaks to the position Holden has found itself in today. While rival brands such as Toyota or Volkswagen offer cohesive ranges with a consistent approach to driving controls, Holden machines scraped together from around the world take a variety of approaches reflecting a piecemeal showroom.

    Itís hard to assess the new Commodore as a stand-alone model free from historical baggage attached to the outgoing model and its role within the local car industry and Australian culture.

    The previous-generation Calais and Calais V won plenty of fans at Drive with an endearing mix of interior comfort and on-road composure inviting you to drive from dusk until dawn.

    That isnít the case with the new model.

    Itís a smaller, more tech-focused and fuel efficient model with an entirely different character to its predecessor.

    No longer a unique-to-Australia proposition, the new Commodore is just another competent-if-uninspiring sedan.

    Setting nostalgia aside, the test example Holden provided was not a great car.

    Time will reveal whether this particular model was an outlier, and whether the new-generation ZB Commodore will be welcomed by Australian drivers.

    Though the Insignia is one small step of progress for European Opel and Vauxhall customers, it represents a giant leap of faith for loyal Holden supporters.

  19. #499
    Hooroo! Nitephyre's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2002
    Location
    ormeau@gc.qld.au
    Posts
    6,789
    They really should've just dropped Commodore or Holden altogether and let the brand go out with a small amount of respect left.

    | 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

  20. #500
    CNGAF rowdytoot's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    hotel vast horizon
    Posts
    9,978
    Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    Curiosity got the better of me as I went by my local dealer today so I dropped in for a look. I was the only person doing so.

    Looked at the RS, which is theoretically the SV6 replacement. It didnít grab me much. It looks ok in a nothing-extraordinary kind of a way, with the wagon being much less good looking than the VF equivalent around the back.

    Inside itís...okay? Again, nothing special. The lower spec models have a pretty ordinary cloth trim that would make you want to upgrade to a leather trimmed model, but then youíd be paying more and the value equation starts to undo itself.

    Seat/pedals/wheel relationship was hard to get right. The wheel felt miles away and too high, but any lower and youíd block the instruments. That might just be my leg to torso ratio though. Windows are shallow and it felt hard to see out of and a bit claustrophobic.

    Seats were soft and not well bolstered or particularly wide.

    Basically, a VF SV6 is a nicer place to be.

    At least the space is decent. Slightly less rear room behind me than a VF but all right for most people. It wonít take three across the rear too well - thereís a big transmission hump, probably the same one as the AWD models.

    I thought about taking for a drive but really couldnít muster much enthusiasm for the idea. So I didnít. Maybe thatís unfair and it drives really well.

    I really did try to keep an open mind but it didnít grab me. And I admit had a moment of feeling a bit offended actually seeing the Commodore badge on the back. It doesnít look or feel like one.

    I came away wondering whoíd be interested in it. Most people will ignore it and buy an SUV. Sedan buyers who donít care about cars will buy another Camry. Enthusiasts will buy a Stinger or a used VF.
    Saw one on the road today. Looks like a slightly bigger camry, beige beige beige Sounded wheezy and asthmatic as it slurred through the gears to keep up with traffic..

    Saw a Kia stinger not long before. Much more presence, but in a late 90 bad body kit kinda way...

    1998 MX5 - Ohlins DFV coilovers, Roll bar,15 x7.5 Konig Litespeeds, Mania Intake
    2014 Colorado LT - Oversized Whitegoods. Kid/bike/track hack/horse hauler.

  21. #501
    Wait what? sirhsv's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2002
    Location
    Brizvegas
    Posts
    5,958
    Saw one of these on the road today too. One of the lower spec models in silver. Thought it was a Peugeot or some random Euro til I saw the Holden badging.
    Sutherland Shires #1 Escort? is that like being the 4th best prostitute in Kazahkstan?

  22. #502
    VW Service Bloke Sloth's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2013
    Location
    Victoria
    Posts
    3,668
    Black vxr at the island today driven by 25 year told hipsters....
    Quote Originally Posted by Marty! View Post
    I like cars. Cars are cool.


    I'M NOT A HOOKER BUT 20 BUCKS IS 20 BUCKS...

    robslothyoung - follow me on insta.

  23. #503
    Registered User
    Join Date
    Sep 2010
    Location
    Adelaide, SA
    Posts
    1,464
    Quote Originally Posted by Bob Vegana. View Post
    The Euro GM stuff, like the Insignia, Astras, Vectras, and SB/XC Barinas weren't too bad. Not quite as nice as VAG stuff can be, but most people were pretty happy with them.
    I assume the italics were accidentally left off this comment. The Euro Holdens are appalling buckets of shit, almost without exception.

  24. #504
    Registered User PXL265's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    Location
    Brisvegas
    Posts
    1,957
    Have to agree with that.

    My most shameful vehicle purchase was for my previous nopics, an Astra convertible for her.

    Whilst we traded it at three years, and mechanically nothing went bang, it had shittier plastics than the AU ute I had at the time.

    In thinking back, my ZG Fairlane had better plastics and felt more solid.

    Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

  25. #505
    bitch lasagne Bob Vegana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sonova Beach
    Posts
    6,240
    Quote Originally Posted by BigJonWB View Post
    I assume the italics were accidentally left off this comment. The Euro Holdens are appalling buckets of shit, almost without exception.
    The early stuff was garbage, but I reckon mid-00s onwards, they were reasonable.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewdles View Post
    In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

  26. #506
    Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2007
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    9,263
    I know thereís many horror stories, but my Astra gave no trouble over 180k of ownership, and my Vectra only started to when it got to 9-10 years old.

    The Vectra was a miserable driving experience but a good appliance.

  27. #507
    PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    The Crime Zone
    Posts
    30,102
    ^ There's probably a guy, one single person, who's been driving his twincharged Golf 118TSI since he got it new & doesn't know why all the negative press because his has been perfect ...
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

  28. #508
    Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2010
    Location
    Wollongong
    Posts
    7,412
    So i was just at Wakelings in CTown and they have sold zero of these shitters yet...
    Was at Hunter Holden the other day and they've sold 80. Every single one to a rental company.

    Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

  29. #509
    bitch lasagne Bob Vegana.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    Sonova Beach
    Posts
    6,240
    Local dealer, which is under Wakeling umbrella, sold one earlier this week.
    Quote Originally Posted by brewdles View Post
    In short, some cunt at test and tune had a 250cc honda turning to 11ty and it sounded porn. Do that.

  30. #510
    Registered User FLI355's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney
    Posts
    3,231
    How many VFs did the sell a month? I reckon it'll be probably a 70% reduction in qty maybe more?
    CAD Automotive Paint Correction

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •