Thread: Boss kits

Boss kits

Haven't played this game before - momo steering wheel.

Is a boss kit a boss kit? Eg get one to suit your car and it will fit any wheel (ie. Are aftermarket wheels an industry standard bolt pattern? Or does it have to be momo specific?)

Usually manufacturer specific - e.g Toyota / Nissan etc
    Quote Originally Posted by lickmyleftone View Post
    I'd do things to her that Tripper hasn't seen.
    As seen on Tinder : "If a Vegan does Crossfit, which one do they mention to you first?"

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Shifty View Post
    Is a boss kit a boss kit? Eg get one to suit your car and it will fit any wheel (ie. Are aftermarket wheels an industry standard bolt pattern? Or does it have to be momo specific?)
    pretty much, yes. most kits I've met have two PCDs drilled, "6 X "small" which is MOMO/FOMO/MUMU and 6 X slightly bigger which is autotechnica (or someshit) etc.

hope your horn wiper and blinkeroff works, the last one I bought (admittedly it was the cheapest one I could find on ebay) needed the horn ring spaced off the boss and extra bits glued on to cancel the indicators.
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 29-10-16 at 12:39 AM.

MOMO should have 70mm PCD (same as OMP, SPARCO etc IIRC) .. Few others like NARDI have 74mm

Resurrecting this thread cause I want an OMP wheel now.

Trying to find a Boss kit to suit my car is proving a bit shit. HKB make them for the previous model mazda3 but I can't find one that lists itself as being compatible with my car. 2010 (BL) Mazda3 MPS.

Not sure if the fitment is the same between models but are there any stores or manufacturers that people can suggest I try? If it's only the electrical connections that differ then I can handle that. I just need something that bolts up straight and can take the from there.

I had the same issue with the Suzuki, no one had a listing for a current model Swift. You just need to get the spline count and diameter right. Pull your steering wheel off, count the splines and measure the diameter, then get the vendor to advise if it's the same as the previous Mazda 3.

FWIW, I found that the early model Suzuki spline was the same as the late model.

Yea cheers mate, I will chase that up. I've sent some emails off already but that kind of detail helps answer those things.

Think there is 2 maybe morethat vary slightly.

First obvious one is some wheels 12 bolt others 8 or some crap.

From 70's-90'early 90's cars supposedly take same kits.

Only had one fuck up on me that's with a vp where it chewed out the brass tab & ring for horn destroyed blinker assembly
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Is it splined or tapered hex. If hex I should have something kicking around from our maz 2 race cars.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

It's a tapered hex.

While we're on the topic, anyone got a suggestion on MOMO vs OMP? I am leaning towards the OMP one just because the center cap will make the king bolt easier to access to swap them out for track days but it's damn hard to decide.

Quote Originally Posted by gtrboyy View Post
    Think there is 2 maybe morethat vary slightly.

First obvious one is some wheels 12 bolt others 8 or some crap.

From 70's-90'early 90's cars supposedly take same kits.

Only had one fuck up on me that's with a vp where it chewed out the brass tab & ring for horn destroyed blinker assembly
    6 or 9 hole. 6 hole comes in 70 or 74 mm pcd

Suzuki Mighty Boy / BEC Rear Mid mount Suzuki 1150cc 450kg Hillclimber [in the build]

Yeah my mistake.

Ugly piece of shit wheel using now has extra holes never counted it.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Quote Originally Posted by Reedy View Post
    While we're on the topic, anyone got a suggestion on MOMO vs OMP? I am leaning towards the OMP one just because the center cap will make the king bolt easier to access to swap them out for track days but it's damn hard to decide.

Your car is registered, right? I would go for the OMP, just one nut to swap over the steering wheel. you going to get a quick release as well? QR has made my life so much easier, getting in and out of the car, working on the dash, great vehicle immobiliser.

Edit: don't forget to isolate the battery before you pull the airbag out. You don't want that accidentally discharging.
    Last edited by Sprinkles; 19-09-17 at 08:29 PM.

Yes it is, I don't plan on using this wheel much outside of track days tho as the OEM wheel is fucking COVERED in buttons and those will be a pain to go without. But yea, just to make it easier to swap out will be a winner. Not to mention I just found the OMP one for $100 cheaper than anywhere else I've found it so unless I can find the momo one for less than $250 I think the OMP one has just won out.

The Boss itself looks like it's actually the same as the older model only the wiring comes in at 6 o clock instead of 12, so that can be easily fixed by just rotating the boss 180 degrees, not that it'll be connected to anything other than maybe the horn if I cbf.
    Last edited by Reedy; 19-09-17 at 08:42 PM.

nope got nada, ones for the old Maz 2 cars were thrown in the bin, woulda been no good anyways as I made them for a quick release, that I made.

New Maz 2 racers have an off the shelf boss, albeit for quick release but are off the shelf, I'll find out where they came from.

So far I've got a Works Bell and HKB kit available. Online stores don't make it easy to find compatible parts for anyone who doesn't own a goddamn Nissan.

for 2014 mazda 3 (tapered hex) works bell 922S.

How about for a 2010 model? I am currently looking at the 920S part.

2014 is the model that came after mine.
    Last edited by Reedy; 19-09-17 at 09:35 PM.

No idea, need to measure the tapered hex to check, I aint pulling my wheel off.

but a google of "works bell 2010 Mazda 3" shows this result.

http://www.crossoverauto.com/crossov...oducts_id=1004

Yea I just stumbled on that myself a few minutes ago - bit of a gamble but I might just order one and see. Worst case I just flog it on ebay.

Thanks heaps for the help mate.
    Last edited by Reedy; 19-09-17 at 09:41 PM.

So I ordered a Works Bell 920S kit from RHDJapan and they actually delivered a 922S so that part has obviously superseded the 920S. My guess is its the same part with some extra wiring to fit newer cars. The websites make it much harder for you because they use standard images of a product that has a completely different spline design so you really have no idea if what you're ordering will work.

Cause the kit sure as shit comes with a lot of different wiring harnesses to connect the horn and airbag bypass resistors. Half of which don't fit my car.

Side by side and bolted together.

I also got a 25mm spacer to go with the boss and wheel, this put the height of it almost identical to the OEM wheel. It is definitely needed as without it your hands get crowded out by the indicator/wiper stalks.

Horn and airbag bypass connected up.

I was correct in assuming it was the same fit as the previous model Mazda3, only spun around 180 degrees as the wiring comes in through the bottom rather than the top. The indicator cancel holes fitted up perfectly too.

Finished.

Driving feels awesome. I won't be using this anywhere outside the racetrack tho so while day to day driving isn't all that relevant the D shape isn't the best for doing 3 point turns with. The smaller rim (370mm down to 320mm) adds a bit of steering weight and allows for quicker movements and it will eliminate the problem I have when I bump buttons and make random phone calls while racing out on track. Main downside is probably that the gauge clusters are slightly obscured by the smaller wheel but it more than makes up for that by the fact I no longer bang my knees on it every time I Heel + Toe.
    Last edited by Reedy; 04-10-17 at 09:15 PM.

Looks good.

Keep an eye on the screws that go into the boss, ours (I think) stretched after a while, as they had locktite and witness marks, the witness marks showed the bolts had not rotated, but a small amount of play developed, and each bolt took a quarter turn to nip it back up and eliminate the play.