Thread: Do the wastegates on these manifolds actually work or should I weld them up?

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar

Do the wastegates on these manifolds actually work or should I weld them up?

I'm guessing they won't work at all as the flow is going the opposite direction but is there any real world feedback on it?
    Other option is wastegate of turbo.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Have used similar on a 2JZ with a 50mm gate and GT4294. Held 14psi fine.

The wastegate manual puts a big X through them but they work, not ideal at boost control but they do the job.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Just needs to hold 20psi on a 2jz. Thinking about cutting pipes off, die grinding tiny holes to the size of tube, then welding back on?

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929

The way they point will mean SFA to the pressure differential when the waste gate opens. High pressure flows to low pressure.
    Mmmmmmmmm beer.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    You had one fucking job, Imran. One. Now look, there's Flibberty Gibbets all up in here, seeing straight through your ruse. One. Fucking. Job!

It will be fine. Most manifolds are at a right angle off the collector. 90% work fine.

They're absolutely fine. Gas doesn't follow the inside radius......
    Quote Originally Posted by Bosshoggett View Post
    If your planing to drive this on the road and enjoy it, id suggest a second opinion, someone with a history in Australian Rally or Fink River . If your just playing dyno comps. Then ok

Cheers. I'll tidy it up a bit and give it a go. Prefer to have the wastegate down low.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929

Typically it should work. I did come across a freak 2j motor once which wouldn't control boost. Gt3582 with 1.06 rear housing and old TS 50mm gate. I ended up modifying the manifold twice. Cutting out part of the wastegate pipe and grafting on a second to open up the port on the side of the collector. Still wouldnt hold boost and kept spiking. Then milled down the point in the collector and welded in a plate so that some of the flow from the ports closest to the motor could make their way to the wastegate. Would only just control boost with the help of timing. Even with wastegate disconnected and turned around venting to Atmo. Shooting flames out the gate and still was spiking. Ended up making new manifold and mounting gate on housing and no problems with boost then. That damn car has made me quite careful about how I mount gates now.

I ended up selling that modified manifold to someone and never heard of it having problems so figure it was the motor. The turbo used to spin crazy fast with car idling, more so than any other car I've seen before or since.

I've got it now, bought it off Ron few years ago.
    Still have it on the 2JZ in my cressida, no issues with it or the funky turbo (3582 with a t04z comp wheel according to the turbo shop)
    Last edited by dnegative; 08-11-16 at 05:38 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    I've had problems holding boost when the WG was taken from the inside of the radius.

These, being on the outside, should be fine.
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Twin scroll manifolds seem to be fine with retarded gate placement but merge collector single entry are nothing but trouble. Gate on housing fixes this. *cough 6 boost*

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    David Fraser - Automotive Historian!

Quote Originally Posted by bigmuz View Post
    You can't polish a turd but you can put 600hp in it and laugh your fucking arse off coming past someone sideways at Powercruise.

Yep I'm a massive fan of gate on housing. Some people get all precious about modifying housing as they can't sell it off if they rage quit but I recon do it once and do it proper.