Thread: Back to basics MK Patrol shorty

Back to basics MK Patrol shorty

So a few months ago the Delica novelty wore off and I decided I wanted another proper 4WD. I sold it and the MR2 and 120Y to fund another Patrol or Landcruiser. I was looking at GU or 100 series petrols - mainly because their only diesel options worth considering are overpriced, but somehow I ended up with this old beater instead.

Behold the 1985 MK Patrol Shorty in all its glory! Leaf sprung, points & carby complete with manual choke! 4spd box - how many gears do you really need?
    Arguably it's best feature is the world's largest quarter vent windows.

I had an earlier model '81 MQ shorty as my first 4WD so I have a soft spot for these old things, and we all know by now I have a sickness for old Datsuns anyway... The G160 MQ/MKs are very basic, light, and reasonably capable. The shorties are a fun little thing. I wouldn't consider a 160 LWB - just don't have enough character to make them worthwhile imo.

This one has a rebuilt L28 petrol six that sounds nice with the extractors, and keeps up with traffic no worries. Being a later model this one has a few things my previous shorty didn't - powersteering, air con (at least in theory), LSD rear, full instrumentation, and it's a wide wheel pack with factory steel flares and sidesteps. It's got the basic vinyl interior, but that's fine by me - sweeping out dirt and sand is quicker and easier than vacumming, and you don't have to worry about getting carpet muddy.

I did all the boring stuff like swivel hubs & wheelbearings, all new bushes, draglink, shocks, all fluids, a few new hoses, and a couple of rust repairs in the floor, then messed around with it a bit. Turned out it already had 2" Ironman springs - found the part number on them while messing around removing leafs from each pack to try and make it ride smoother and flex better. Unfortunately, that also made it list to one side pretty badly, so I ended up putting them all back in. They choppy ride is just part of their charm, afterall...

Obviously, I had to put 33" muddies on it, which hit the factory flares in a few places, so I threw some garden edge flares on and went and tested that again - flexes surprisingly well:

That was all good apart from the garden edge flares warping in the sun after a week or so which annoyed me - they don't make it like they used to. Looked like all those poorly fitted rubber flexi flared shitboxes that I hate, so I got some 2" shackles, refitted the factory steel flares and trimmed the edges where needed - it all just clears even when off-roading. I've had it out at Nanango and Bellthorpe so far and it goes pretty damn well. Not at good as the old GQ, but it keeps up with my mates' Jeep, locked Disco, Paj and Prados both with front lockers. The slippery rear works well and it's a hell of a lot of fun on the tracks. Shorties are definitely more fun.

This is it all cleaned up after last weekends dusty trip through Bellthorpe - got a bit carried away and polished the old heap

Looks very nice. I do like the old stuff.

looks fantastic!

i'll always have a soft spot for these, my old man had an SD33T ute. body was absolutely fucked, but it was 100% unstoppable.
    HR31 Coupe - RB20, Bilsteins, Cage and shit
    R31 Ti - Sun Visor, Venetian Blinds, Coilovers, Whiteline Bars, Wog Stance.

Quote Originally Posted by Mr Jones View Post
    Farmer its all about how you cut them up, like a dead hooker jigsaw puzzle.

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    this is so cool, brings back some memories

my olds had a MQ with the SD33T was a beast, best parts chaser car tower road tripper ever. especially for me and my mates trying to build cars with no money.

could not stall the thing even if you were on mars

will watch with interest.
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Yeah the SD33T is a good old donk. I'm still sorta keeping my ear to the ground for a decent condition turbo diesel 5spd shorty...

Nissan made an LD28 diesel donk thats got a ton of tourqe,
    Not sure if they were avaliable here but we used to get them in NZ imported used from japan.
    They were pre ecu days so you could throw them in anything...as we did

We didn't get them here, but the cranks are popular with Z guys for building 3l strokers. So they're probably rare and and pricey these days.

It's come up pretty good with a polish Hazza. Any love for a black bar/side steps?

I'm undecided between keeping the oldschool alloy bull bar or making a small tapered steel bumper. Their blunt front end looks pretty good without a bull bar I reckon, so I'll probably go that way.
    Sidesteps would definitely tie in better if they were black, but they're chrome plated which makes it a bit of a pita. Could just paint them and throw some wide black grip tape on the top I suppose. Probably the easiest option.

I need a rear tyre carrier too. You can see from all the bolts on the back that it had the factory swing-away spare/jerrycan carrier originally, but the factory ones have all rattled to death and they were pretty ugly anyway so we'll make something up for that too.

Wouldn't mind painting the canopy red as well, but that might be getting a bit carried away...

I'm amazed that it appears to be relatively rust free.

Love it man!! Well done.
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Wannabe internet expert
    Man that things pretty damn clean for an old patrol, love it.

Did you sell the 120y? That thing was awesome.

Nissan's answer to the MWB Landcruiser.. And they did a pretty good job with it too....

Far out that's clean. You find some pearlers H
    DJ's don't need sigs

I like these busses . Good pick up.

That's pretty damn cool

I drive past a similar shorty going home every day.. white, lifted with 35's... I reckon it'd go fucking anywhere...
    Quote Originally Posted by thecrackfox
    I wanna put you in a dress and hurt you...

Apparently back up for sale already according to Facebook?
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Yep, the novelty/nostalgia wore off when I needed to go to a chiropractor last week after a day out at Kennilworth in the old bus lol
    Back to the original plan of using the funds from selling all the other cars to buy a nice, boring, comfy, soul-less GU... put a deposit on a 2003 4.8 yesterday.

$4500 if anyone's interested.
    Last edited by hrd; 01-12-16 at 09:49 AM.

Got a deposit on Saturday, and it's getting picked up this morning

Bought a 4.8 GU on Friday and took it up Nanango stock route where I took the old red one recently. That old MK went places the stock GU can't even think of, and was way more fun doing it. I broke a few plastic bits and pieces proving that lol. I was wishing I had the MK all day on those tracks... Obviously a little lift and decent rubber would make the GU better than the MK, but the old bus was a bit of a surprise packet for everyone that saw it go. I'm really annoyed I have to sell this one - more than any other car I've sold since my RZ Supra. But my back/neck just can't handle the choppy ride on road. Off road it rides the big bumps and stuff OK, it's just the constant rocking/choppiness on road that seems to be what does my back in.

But on the upside, the GU rides and drives great. Far more civilised, but totally lacking the fun of the old bus. Didn't seem too bad on fuel on yesterday's run either.
    Last edited by hrd; 05-12-16 at 06:50 AM.

What are the realities of going for a bit of fun up in the hills relatively close to us mate?
    I used to frequent either LMP or DI every other weekend, but haven't for years. I do miss the bush stuff in particular.

Getting a bit thin on the ground close to home. Nothing at Mt Mee anymore. It all got washed away in 2011 and closed off. Mt Tamborine had some fun stuff too but that's all closed now. And Ormeau is dead as far as I know - I haven't been there for several years now.

Bellthorpe on the way out to Kilcoy is the closest, but when we were there a few weeks back the best stuff was blocked with a big fallen tree after a fire. There's still some stuff in there to do but.
    Nanango stock route is a nice drive. It's about an hour and a half away. Starts at Benarkin and goes to Nanango.
    Kenilworth about the same distance away. Some fun stuff in there. Nice country too.
    There's some stuff around Jimna too.
    I'll let you know about our next one. You're welcome to come along mate. I know one of our crew is keen to go to Kenilworth. He missed that trip with us a few weeks ago, so we might go back there soon.

Tb48 is your friend
    Check out my shit for sale on facebook:
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Junk-...25870327473735

Quote Originally Posted by hrd View Post
    Getting a bit thin on the ground close to home. Nothing at Mt Mee anymore. It all got washed away in 2011 and closed off. Mt Tamborine had some fun stuff too but that's all closed now. And Ormeau is dead as far as I know - I haven't been there for several years now.

Bellthorpe on the way out to Kilcoy is the closest, but when we were there a few weeks back the best stuff was blocked with a big fallen tree after a fire. There's still some stuff in there to do but.
    Nanango stock route is a nice drive. It's about an hour and a half away. Starts at Benarkin and goes to Nanango.
    Kenilworth about the same distance away. Some fun stuff in there. Nice country too.
    There's some stuff around Jimna too.
    I'll let you know about our next one. You're welcome to come along mate. I know one of our crew is keen to go to Kenilworth. He missed that trip with us a few weeks ago, so we might go back there soon.
    Cheers mate, keep me in the loop please. The Nav will be fairly hopeless and easily damaged I'd imagine but if I can avoid the latter it might light the spark again to get something a little less valuable and more capable.

Quote Originally Posted by fatz View Post
    Tb48 and boost are best friends
    Fixed