Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Torana pro-touring build

Wont his lsa stand more of a chance being rear hump & good sump design?
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

So I have managed to find a few hours to get into the shed recently. While waiting for my custom front hubs to be made, I thought I would have a look at the rust situation. I started by unpicking the windscreen plenum and while there is some rust around the vent hole on the whole it's surprisingly good. One frustrating thing though is someone has put massive amounts of bog everywhere, even in places that you can't even see so it serves no purpose at all. I wouldn't be surprised if there's over 10 kg of bog in this car, everywhere I look I find it lathered on thick.

I continued uncovering a couple of other suspect areas and again, bog and lots of it. I think they were afraid of using a welder, it's kind of funny.

I plan on putting her on a rotisserie, so won't start welding any new pieces in just yet. Mainly because I think there's still a good chance I'm going to have to get it blasted which I was trying to avoid.
    Last edited by 355LX; 08-09-17 at 01:48 AM.
    Shitter LX hatch
    Perth, WA

Just cut it all out and do a proper tube chassis-sith lord voice
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Haha, oh mate you wouldn't believe how hard I've considered that. I've trawled over pictures of Art Morrison chassis and various other things but then it would snowball even further out of control.
    Shitter LX hatch
    Perth, WA

Whats going to turn up first, my hats and rotors or your hubs?

Quote Originally Posted by matty12 View Post
    Whats going to turn up first, my hats and rotors or your hubs?
    I think it's a safe bet it'll be my hubs, but for your sake I hope I'm wrong, haha.
    Shitter LX hatch
    Perth, WA

Title pending
    If you come replace the battery tray on my sedan (I have the piece) i'll rent you the rotisserie for a month.
    Location Perth Western Australia

Updates please?

I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Updates please?
    Yes please...

Sent from my HTC_0P6B using Tapatalk
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Not a great deal to report, was in the shed one night over the weekend which was the first time in months. Have just cut out some rust and made up some replacement sections but other than that just waiting on a few things. Front caliper brackets are being made, and also waiting on my rear rotor hats to be drilled out. Once they're done I'll be able to dummy rear caliper's for rear brackets.

Also have the wheels on order which are a 3 month wait. 18x10 front and rear, hoping there'll be more dish than the one in the pic.
    Shitter LX hatch
    Perth, WA

Coolness, Ill swing past sometime in the next two weeks with the xw during the test driving stage.

That would be souper.
    Shitter LX hatch
    Perth, WA

Title pending
    You still need this rotisserie ?
    Location Perth Western Australia

Holy shit.. this is gonna be silly

Man i hope you bought the R-disk version of the M1 Meisters for the front if you are going big brakes.. i had the 3 piece M1s in R-disk and they still fouled on my brakes (by 8mm!)

Quote Originally Posted by dattoman1000 View Post
    You still need this rotisserie ?
    Yes indeed I do. No idea when, will probably have to blast it before it goes on. Don't put anything on hold for me if you want to put your car on it though mate.
    Shitter LX hatch
    Perth, WA

Quote Originally Posted by yohoes View Post
    Holy shit.. this is gonna be silly

Man i hope you bought the R-disk version of the M1 Meisters for the front if you are going big brakes.. i had the 3 piece M1s in R-disk and they still fouled on my brakes (by 8mm!)
    Oh mate you must have been pissed, were you just trialing them or did you buy them? I went with the 0 disc for max dish. I borrowed a mates set of Meister S1's off his GTR which were 18x10 with O disc on the rear and they cleared my front brakes. Due to the offset of my disc rotor bells the AP's don't protrude past the wheel mounting face at all so caliper clearance isn't a big issue.
    Shitter LX hatch
    Perth, WA

Less crane lifting more Torana building

Quote Originally Posted by Greg Rust View Post
    Less crane lifting more Torana building
    Haha work has been rolling me hard, but I just so happened got back into the shed for the first time in ages yesterday. Focusing on rust repairs atm, but I've done some suspension and brakes stuff since last update. Have been super lazy with taking pics but will try to start taking some again as I go.

The 265s still look too skinny for the flares so once rego'd I might look at going to a 275 or 285 tyre.

I changed the steering shaft in the column for one out of a Kingswood because they are splined at the end instead of the cotter pin arrangement Torana's have. Fitted new roller bearings to the column and purchased some borgenson unis from the states so steering should feel silky smooth and positive.

I had Mcdonald Bros do a set of front lower arms only partially finished so I can do my own mounts for my coilover setup.

Example of the shit I'm having to mop up after the last clown had this shell.

Planning to try and do one rust repair each week, and keep doing some of the fab stuff in between. Will drop bits off to get diff built hopefully next week if work permits.
    Last edited by 355LX; 10-12-17 at 03:56 PM.
    Shitter LX hatch
    Perth, WA

Solid update. The flares look good.

Any ideas what colour or decals? Maybe you can get a Hatch Hutch made up.

Will most likely be Absinthe Yellow similar to below, have always wanted a yellow hatch.

As for decals will have SS front badge and the rear decal. Haha, not sure about the hatch hutch, probably the sort of thing that I'd get but end up never using.
    Shitter LX hatch
    Perth, WA

Diff build has begun. We have a local guy here call Phil Purser who is an absolute gun building diffs. He's done work for me for well over 10 years and never disappoints. I dropped my floater kit and some mounts to him on Monday, he looked fucked was talking about how snowed under with work he is and was going on leave Wednesday not returning until the 14th Jan. I told him no rush with mine, wished him a good holiday etc. Come Tuesday 11.00am I get a call from him, "Hey Dave, Phil here. Your diff's ready man." So with the next couple weeks off it means I will be able to make a start on my diff build which is great.

I have also bought a new compressor so I can do some sandblasting at home, my old direct drive 3hp just didn't come close. Just waiting on a mate to wire up the 3 phase outlet, and I've laid a little concrete pad behind my shed and will enclose it to protect it from the elements.

Shitter LX hatch
    Perth, WA

Good stuff and nice time of year to crack on.

I word of advice, I have a monster 3-phase/10hp/270ltr unit at my workshop & even that struggles moving enough air for media blasting.
    You'd be better off hiring a portable diesel compressor for the job.

Oh fuck! That sucks. I only need to do spots here and there so hopefully it is at least enough for that. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I needed an upgrade regardless as my old one struggled with my air tools anyway.
    Shitter LX hatch
    Perth, WA

Quote Originally Posted by 355LX View Post
    Oh fuck! That sucks. I only need to do spots here and there so hopefully it is at least enough for that. I guess I'll find out soon enough.

I needed an upgrade regardless as my old one struggled with my air tools anyway.
    Put a vsd on the compressor and you can turn it a bit faster.

Philbert still cranking out the goods!

Quote Originally Posted by Morcs View Post
    Put a vsd on the compressor and you can turn it a bit faster.
    Ok so now I've googled what a vsd is. I think I'd be too concerned about overheating or somehow fucking shit up.

Worst case I'll put my old compressor in parallel and see it that helps.
    Shitter LX hatch
    Perth, WA

For bits here are there just use one of those red 10 gallon tank sand blast kits, they work surprisingly well for what they are, and that compressor can keep up no worries.

Quote Originally Posted by 355LX View Post
    Ok so now I've googled what a vsd is. I think I'd be too concerned about overheating or somehow fucking shit up.

Worst case I'll put my old compressor in parallel and see it that helps.
    ( being a sparky helps with using a vsd lol)
    This will work also suggest getting more volume can also mask too small a supply especially good for larger rattle guns.

I have been using 2x 2.5 hp direct drive jobbies for a few years now and looking to upgrade into something larger and come to the conclusion I want the cunts out of my shed (noise) or get a screw type for nearly silent operation.
    I have a blast cabinet and it only manages to hold 40-50 psi on the reg
    Have one at work and you can have a normal conversation standing next to whilst it is running the ol piston one it replaced was ear protection needed to be any where near it.