Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Find a F (nopics) a decent 4by $15k budget

Find a F (nopics) a decent 4by $15k budget

Ok a good mate of mine is an artist. Is moving to alice to buy an art gallery.

She wants / needs a 4by.

Loves the look of landrovers and early cruisers.

Must have a/c or enough left in budget to fit it.
    May do bigger trips every now and then.

Space for 'art' etc useful.

Advice on petrol vs diesel appreciated. Is a practical chick but not much mech knowledge. Cheers kents, find me something cool.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Hilux man..

Art Gallery = Landover Defender.

I'll happily help her with any vehicular and cockular requirements.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Freelander 2, it's more Volvo and Ford than Land Rover but has the image she wants.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

60 Series Cruiser
    Quote Originally Posted by The Property Guru
    don't haemophrodites generally have tiny wangs?
    Quote Originally Posted by oxy View Post
    No, that's asians
    A80 Supra
    80 Landcruiser

Just sold my BJ73.. would have been perfect for her.. Brand new Air con too.. - worked perfect....

Quote Originally Posted by MR-PUNANNY View Post
    60 Series Cruiser
    I reckon this is the go or bj73.

Where do I look for them? Southo whered you sell yours?
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Opens
    80 series, hand down.
    Diseasel 80 series with 100 series

Sold mine on Gumtree, -

BJ73 or BJ74 if she is after diesel
    FJ73 for Petrol

100 series (probs only petrol for that price)
    r51 pathfinder (petrol or diesel)
    left field suprisingly good car - WH grand cherokee (5.7 or diesel)
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Mid-late '90s Troopy can be had around that budget. Nothing else short of a, large, van can match them for hauling stuff. The 1FZ-FE one go pretty well, most seem to be on LPG as well. Down side is pretty crude, even by 20 year old car standards.

Prado 90 or 120. Petrols are reliable but thirsty. Diesels are reliable (most injector failures would have happened by now if they were going to) but slow until you get to the D4D.

Alternatively

http://www.carsales.com.au/private/d...-4393386/?Cr=2
    No. Driving an esky along the footpath will be the end humanity. This must be stopped.
    "Lol!! The son of satan will rideth thine esky, wearing nought but the beater of wives and the double secured half sandle, and he will wave his hands in great mirth ushering in the end of all mankind"

Some of those that work forces are the same that burn crosses.

Also auto only. Good suggestions. She is getting a loan this week, Sydney based but not necessity. Yeah i reckon either an 80 or 100 series, or diesel prado

Noone said Pajero?

Just don't get the NP diesel... Injector pump failure big $$ (although, if recently done, not much else goes wrong).
    NS+ have same motor, but pump is 1/4 the price (common rail change I think it was), though can have DPF issues..
    But I think they can be gotten around...
    Petrol ones are cheap as chips though (and damned reliable in every way including fuel wastage).
    10k gets you all the trimmings: http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/reser...in-/1131228987

Course, arty, old school landcruiser is cool..

I'm intrigued to know which gallery she's buying.

Given it's Alice I'd steer toward a Cruiser troop carrier. A 75 series with a 1hz.
    Troop carrier is great for transporting large stretch canvas and also fits lots of people in the back.
    Last edited by Marlin; 28-11-16 at 08:45 PM.

Registered User Panda I give no fuck's Avatar
    Does she actually need a 4x4 or do you both assume main road of Alice is a tough truck challenge? Fact she wants an auto screams soft roader, therefor useless.

Just get her a VS commo n put an aborigional flag sticker on bumper so it doesn't get stolen
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Z View Post
    If TK told me to close my eyes and bend over, I would.

Auto only?! Ohhh forget it then, just get a van or a commo or falcon whatever then....

Mechanical 'Tard Cliffordcliffs's Avatar
    Nvm
    Last edited by Cliffordcliffs; 28-11-16 at 09:26 PM. Reason: Stupidity
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

since when has auto only meant soft roader? autos are better for offroading than manuals.. not that it matters in this case.

and being alice springs, im guessing long distance driving is involved? which in that case, a 7x series landcruiser is the last place you would want to be.
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Pollitically incorrect
    A bit left field, but:

circa 1999-2000 2.8 diesel non turbo hi lux crew cab.

hatefully slow, but change the filters every 10k or so and they never ever die... at least not to my knowledge. Only ever known peeps with a manual, so no input on the auto.

Sat on 95-100 they are reasonably frugal too. NFI on how good the A/C is, but the one I had the pleasure of driving worked in vic summers.

Will get a cracker for well under 10 I would have thought.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    since when has auto only meant soft roader? autos are better for offroading than manuals.. not that it matters in this case.

and being alice springs, im guessing long distance driving is involved? which in that case, a 7x series landcruiser is the last place you would want to be.
    Simce if you are in the red centre, you can either go about your life in anything a hyandai excell is capable of or you actually need a real 4 wheel drive.

And autos are better for offroading than manuals? Not to start a war but assume this is a point you have hard faught and one with other cyclists at a coffee club on sunday mornings

Ps. Im drunk and am fully intending to start a war

lol at Panda you neva sin the todd riva in flood eh bro???!!!

Yes shes a girl
    Yes she drives auto
    They'll be heading out to remote communities a fair bit
    She needs a 4wd. Troop carriers are a cunt of a thing. Have drive a heap of kms in them on and offroad. 80series or even prado will do the big kms comfortably and reliably I reckon.

Pajero not a bad suggestion, I don't know about the dirt roads in the nt. In regional qld and wa the pajeros we used to run would look great and were fairly reliable and very comfortable but would shake itself to bits over lots of rough dirt (think 200000kms before major shit needing fixing in the pajs) vs 350ks for the toyotas

Drunk Panda can be a bit of an asshole.

Quote Originally Posted by Panda I give no fuck View Post
    And autos are better for offroading than manuals? Not to start a war but assume this is a point you have hard faught and one with other cyclists at a coffee club on sunday mornings

Ps. Im drunk and am fully intending to start a war
    Yes and No.

I have owned both. Manuals are more rewarding, but autos have a lot of advantages in terms of capability.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    lol at Panda you neva sin the todd riva in flood eh bro???!!!

Yes shes a girl
    Yes she drives auto
    They'll be heading out to remote communities a fair bit
    She needs a 4wd. Troop carriers are a cunt of a thing. Have drive a heap of kms in them on and offroad. 80series or even prado will do the big kms comfortably and reliably I reckon.

Pajero not a bad suggestion, I don't know about the dirt roads in the nt. In regional qld and wa the pajeros we used to run would look great and were fairly reliable and very comfortable but would shake itself to bits over lots of rough dirt (think 200000kms before major shit needing fixing in the pajs) vs 350ks for the toyotas
    How much space does she need?
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    This was fucking funny, proper belly laugh from me!

You will struggle to get a decent low km 80 series that isnt drug money these days. And 100 series is heaaaaaps better in terms of economy and comfort. With the prices of 200s coming down fast, shouldnt be hard to get a nice cheap 100 series (i would expect).

Another option.. 4.8l GU. They would be in between the 80 and 100 in terms of comfort, so not bad, and have that bulletproof drivetrain. Only come in auto so all good there.

Get a RAV4 or something similar. Fuel costs $0.80 more a litre then Sydney and you have to use premium fuel or fuck your car using opal.