Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shitbox Autocross Soarer #7

Shitbox Autocross Soarer #7

So after i blew up my semi-getting-serious Soarer, life kinda got in the way for a while so it sat in pieces at my mates place as i didnt have the time nor inclination (ie, cbf) putting it all back together.
    Got kinda bored at missing out on bunky motorsport so eventually after doing some rally drive days which were heaps of fun, decided to get another car to thrash. THought about various car options but seeing as cunts were practically giving away Soarers by now and i had a shed full of spares and nice bits for them, picked up this for $1k

Bit more than i wanted to spend but it was licensed, had good wheels and tyres on and mismatched Supra coilovers. Oh and that kickass dorifuto-spec wing which was good for 20hp at least...

Coilovers were sold, wing went to mates drifter S13 where it belonged

Only negatives were it was pissing out power steering fluid and the factory air suspension had been replaced by the shitty coilovers which was a shame as it wouldve come in handy for future use....
    Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 10-12-16 at 05:12 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

First stop was to fix the PS leak, typically from the pump before it fucked the alternator underneath. Pulled pump out, replaced with a spare i had and made up a dodgy metal shield out of a coffee tin so if this one leaked it wouldnt get into the alt...

Stuck it all back in only to find it still leaked! Turns out it was one of the rack/cooler hoses and not the pump at all.... and then with a bit of use (guy i bought it off didnt use it much) it seems the hose or o-ring somewhere seals up and it stops leaking. Right, so thats sorted then....

So drove it around for a bit and couldnt help myself, it needed the coilovers and 4.08 LSD from the dormant track car to wake it up a bit... meanwhile said track car finally came home via another Soarer that i'd gained for the princely sum of $64. This was getting out of hand...

ended up swapping the whole rear end in from the track car, in the process did something about the subframe bushes as there used to be a shitload of clunking which i thought id tracked down to the nolathane bushes and spacers which wernt a great design and possibly were allowing metal-to-metal contact. Fucked them off and just filled up the stock bushes with Jenco 2-pack (great stuff!). Solid as a rock now.... but clunking was still there Think its a combination of rooted coilovers and super-vicious drift-spec Kaaz LSD. Anyhow, that shit can wait, at least i know the rear end isnt about to fall out of the car...

also accidentally lost a lot of interior and gained a race seat and wheel from teh track car, so i could go around corners without having to hang onto the wheel for dear life

Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 10-12-16 at 06:13 PM.

I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

I thought about one of these for RallyX, would be a bit like speedboat racing but on land.
    '93 6SPD T04Z UZA80 Supra
    '97 5SPD Corolla RallyX Shitbox

PF F1 SuperBru Tipping Champion '15 & '16

because series 1 V8 Soarers must be the only cars in the world that run better on the factory tune without the stock MAF, that was fucked off in short order... runs pig rich but the cats seem to have gone missing so wgaf...

Entered the Motorplex speedway autocross series with a few other mates, bunkys galore and shitloads of fun, its not quite wheel-to-wheel racing (well, supposedly) but if you have any kind of driving skills at all you can be competitive in sub-$1k Gumtree Specials. Mang on.....

Wound some height into the coilovers, track though was rough as fuck with them and 18" rims so needed to fix that....
    Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 10-12-16 at 05:17 PM.

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Did some tarmac khana stuff too, the Toyota club here runs a series and as the only regular entrant in my class i just have to turn up to win the season so times arent super important
    LSD makes the thing corner like no barge has a right to and it helps that i can quickly adjust the coilovers for smooth tarmac vs. rough dirt. Does better skids than a stock auto UZ should...

Missed that cone btw....

Got invited to of all things a Triumph Sports Club event at the Motorplex, pretty impressive field of various classics and some competition cars in mint condition, most of them pedalled pretty hard as well which was good to see. Needless to say, the bunky Soarer and my mates equally bunky S13 lowered the tone somewhat hahaha. Still got it home for a top ten finish out of 35 cars!

Before this the car needed more V8 noises so got teh old man to take it to his mates workshop to weld up a sidepipe because racecar. Unfortunately on the way back he got canary-ed by a cop, so the plates went bye-bye and it was trailer or permit driving from now on. Oh well...

Sounds better now but still needs more louds so thats a work in progress....
    Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 14-12-16 at 09:39 AM.

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Quote Originally Posted by Brad88 View Post
    I thought about one of these for RallyX, would be a bit like speedboat racing but on land.
    get one, weld up the diff and be sideways for days.......

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Awesome love it!

You do love those stripped interiors...

Will have to look into this bunky racing business, looks like a lot of fun and suuts my budget.
    1978 Opel Manta SR Berlinetta 1UZFE - Project
    2013 Opel Insignia OPC - Daily
    2011 Hyundai iLoad - Work
    2015 Skoda Octavia Scout premium 132TSI - Mrs

So for the next autocross decided to try out some rally tyres as the track is slippery as fuck especially after the water truck has been around...

this meant sourcing a set of 15" wheels which these Soarers originally came with, so for the significant investment of $200 i got these on the car

It still ran the stock brakes on the front but had the larger turbo brakes on teh rear which meant a bit of judicious clearancing was required on the calipers so the tiny wheels would fit

Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 10-12-16 at 05:58 PM.

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Quote Originally Posted by GTREA View Post
    Awesome love it!

You do love those stripped interiors...
    80kg of loungechairs not conducive to srs motorsport

Will have to look into this bunky racing business, looks like a lot of fun and suuts my budget.
    do it! Hardest part is resisting temptation to bolt $1000 parts on a $500 car. Oh well that shits' flown....

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Wannabe internet expert
    This is relevant to my interests. Love soarers purely cause they are dirt cheap rwd's with decent power and that combination is somewhat of a rarity. What's wrong with the old track shell apart from the motor?

What's the go with manual conversions for these, I assume Supra boxes can be mated to the old 1UZ?
    Last edited by Rthirty1; 10-12-16 at 10:04 PM.

Sweet, I miss autocross.. this would be a bundle of fun.

Track car needs an ECU, engine rewire, and the box put back together and that and the engine stuck back in. It will get there, one year. Its a lot lighter and has a bunch of race car-y things done to it which this bunky doesnt.
    Most straightforward way to manual these is with a donor factory manual Turbo Soarer but there are a bunch of other (cheaper) options now using either Toyota or Commodore boxes

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Happy to give you a hand on a few occasions if you need it. You live in the hills, yeah?

Lol hang on. Did the gold soarer towing the dark one cost sixty four dollars?

$24 rego transfer fee + a $40 coil to make it run

Alex: Thanks man, yeah in the hills, prolly wont be doing anything to it until the autocross season is done at least...

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

You guys should see how well this car is driven!!!! Sick rig.

Mate are there photos of the last event?

It goes alright hey! Rally tyres seem to make biggest difference to stopping and going
    Haven't seen any pics but dodgied up a camera mount for the next event

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

I'll have to enter the next one just to see this.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a Navara with the deadly ZD30

better be quick, entries close today ("officially")

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

How the fek do you find these mind soarers for cheap.

I want a licensed TT for next to nothing, plz halps!
    #teamtremolo
    Quote Originally Posted by brasher
    TJ is 99% African American.

To be fair, anything under 1 or $2k usually needs something fixed to run or is not licensed, gotta make the call whether its easy/worth it. There was a bit of luck involved in these two cars but bargains pop up on Scumtree/Facebook and parts are cheap as every second cunt is wrecking one

If i still had a really good '94+ one id actually be keeping it locked away as there will be sfa left in a couple of years as all the shitters disappear!

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Wannabe internet expert
    Its interesting how these are worth SFA when compared to other jap rwd sports cars of a similar era. Maybe it's the looks or the "fair" amount of weight in them stock? Would love to get a cheap one as a thrasher, seems most people are even happy with keeping them autos. Wonder if that's because the auto boxes are quite good or because the cars aren't worth enough to justify the work?

A34x autos are pretty decent for what they are, they dont break unless you really try or put loads of power through them without upgrades and better cooling

Before i converted the track car i ran the stock auto manualised and with a lockup switch, with nothing more than a bigger cooler for it and it took everything i could throw at it. Im not going to bother converting this car so it'll probably get these little mods and thats it

Found some pics of the last event here https://www.facebook.com/pg/artlineo...47292925513713

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Nice
    WWPBD

Quote Originally Posted by InsaneAsylum View Post
    first time i was in sydney, i asked the cabbie to tell a bit about the place. he said "this here oxford st, you see 2 man, they are poofter"
    Fuckwits Incorporated

Cheers

Next event coming up later this month, so there's a few things to do.

The last round was a great night and a heap of fun but neither of us got any really good laps so we were a bit further down the order than we would have liked. The car has plenty of punch and good straight line speed for this stuff but I kinda think the 215 rally tyres are being a bit overwhelmed in the corners as it's impossible to use much throttle unless pointing dead straight!

Don't really want to drop tyre pressures much more as if the track gets hell rough we might pull a tyre off the rim... Could try disconnecting the rear bar.... Hmm... At any rate I'll try pulling a bit more weight out, that can't do any harm.

I also grabbed a cheap pair of the larger front TT callipers to go with a set of rotors I have, to see if there's any chance they can be made to fit in the 15" rims like the rear brakes did. I suspect a bit of angry grinding isnt going to cut it (haha) this time but they were only $30 so no great loss if they won't fit.

It's all good fun but times are close enough in our group that we wanna be quicker...
    Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 04-01-17 at 01:12 AM.

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

I removed the rear sway bar completely from the Swift, made a big improvement in grip on the rough stuff.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a Navara with the deadly ZD30

Will give it a shot and see

Bigger brakes no chance of fitting on the front...bugga.

So dropped the sway bar and took some more interior out instead. And made a camera mount that hopefully will last more than 5 seconds!

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

So yep, no rear bar worked a treat, times were decent. Track layout was fast, we were hitting around 110 (with wheelspin) on the s/f straight. There was a rollover early on, a Pulsar hit a small hump and got up on two wheels, did a complete roll. The thing was already a wreck beforehand, amazingly the guys got it going again later...

Picked up a trophy for the round for coming 2nd in 2WD. The next round the club obviously decided to slow things down a bit as the course was a lot tighter, i thought it was going to be boring but turned out to be a blast, a lot of lock-to-lock wheel work!

Loads of fun as always, not only that but 4 of us are in the top 10 for the season out of a field of about 50 and the Soarer sits at the top of the 2WD class and 6th overall - too bad we wont take it out as i'll be out of the country for the last round!

Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 11-02-17 at 10:35 PM.

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

We've also decided in the spirit of not taking things too seriously the car needs a lot more ground clearance and a lot more rubber for the next series....

Last edited by perthdrivers.txt; 11-02-17 at 10:43 PM.

3x1UZ+1x2UR...

So a thing happened

These are roughly equivalent to 30" muddies, but wider. Need to get more height into it and space the wheels out a bit, but it drives

The back wheels were easy, needed nothing more than the guard lips rolled, the fronts needed a bit more work

Air suspension struts wouldve been handy as theyre pretty long at full height, unfortunately they had been removed so at least all the other air sus. bits can come out to give more space in the wheel arch

This space is normally full of suspension pump and pipes - not any more....

The veggie patch had to go

So need to get height into it, probably with spacers for the coilovers. Also can fit the bigger brakes on the front which it will need. And it really needs a short ratio diff now...

3x1UZ+1x2UR...