Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: The 2018 Toyota fridge

is delicious
    Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    They lose about $5-7k on an Australian built $30k Camry and make about $40k on a $60k Lexus ... why would they even want to sell any Camrys other than to honour the contract Australia had with the Middle East at the expense of Lexus sales, even if they sold 11-12 extra Camrys for each Lexus they didn't sell?
    Fixed for correctness.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by smellytofu View Post
    Fixed for correctness.
    I was projecting to November this year, when they won't suddenly introduce a whole bunch of Chasers with Toyota badges.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

But 11.5s 0-100 is bordering on dangerous, how can anyone claim that is even approaching interesting? I mean if your priority is ICE apps & pointy headlights, doesn't a Corolla (universally considered to be dull) already fulfil all your excitement needs?
    The run of the mill dual cab being sold nowadays is 10sec+ 0-100km/h.... yet most owners seem to think they own a sports car. Weird.

Do they? My ute is slower than ever since I stuck 33inch muddies on it but im still held up constantly by slow drivers.... and I dont speed, I just want to do the speed limit.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

It should also be electronically blocked from clogging up the freeways by driving 20K's under the speed limit.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    These new imported Camrys have arrived. There styling is pretty out there. Why they didnt take this opportunity to change the model name ill never know.

It Places the lotion in the basket!

Why would they want to change the name of something that's been so successful for them in being what they want it to be?
    Although they can probably piss Aurion off, everyone thinks it's a Camry anyway.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Hey bigshipengine - what is the overall feel of them? Are they the bland cardigan mobile of old or have they got some new dark edgy character about them? They sure dont look like the fridges of old.

Quote Originally Posted by BiH View Post
    Hey bigshipengine - what is the overall feel of them? Are they the bland cardigan mobile of old or have they got some new dark edgy character about them? They sure dont look like the fridges of old.

Aren't they already selling these here?
    It's not just a mild facelift?

Saw a few in the states last week. They look like an angry fridge. Much better lookers than any other camry.

The Aurion can become the Camry SL/R.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

I saw a (TL Magna) SLR3500 on the road yesterday ... so unfortunately, that's already taken.

is delicious
    Why would they want to change the name of something that's been so successful for them in being what they want it to be?
    Although they can probably piss Aurion off, everyone thinks it's a Camry anyway.
    Takes big dollars to get brand name recognition. The Aurion experience was just that. Big dollars to try differentiate it to a V6 Camry and heck even the Yaris took some time to wrangle grandma out of their Echo.

We cunts and other motoring enthusiast would have heard of a Chaser but ask your parents what a Toyota Chaser is.

Quote Originally Posted by BiH View Post
    Overall look and interior is a step forward but havent driven any yet just saw them lined up in the yard. It may be an illusion but it looks bigger to me.
    As far as why change the name, there are people that wouldnt even consider a Camry because its a Camry. Changing from Kingswood to Commodore didnt seem to affect Holden and change from Corona to Camry seemed ok as well but theres a younger generation that wouldnt dream of owning a Camry. But a new fully imported Toyota *insert name here, may be semi desirable. Or not?

The royal penis is clean tremolo's Avatar
    It looks like a Camry wearing a gimp mask

Why is there a 3 page thread about Camrys on PF?

Why am I posting in it?

Haha fair description. Why are there more threads about which SUV to buy than performance cars also?

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post
    It looks like a Camry wearing a gimp mask

Why am I posting in it?
    Because you're as nostalgic as the rest of us for the days when they were made here.
    You know, last Monday.

Quote Originally Posted by tremolo View Post

Why am I posting in it?
    I have a theory that in time it will be shown as the best production car ever produced in australia
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ

That depends on your criteria ... I guess pretty obviously.

Everything except performance probably
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    Haha fair description. Why are there more threads about which SUV to buy than performance cars also?

Because most of us know at least something about performance cars. Have no idea about SUVs though...
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Why would they change the name of a well established, and top selling globally, global model?

To try and sell more.

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    As far as why change the name, there are people that wouldnt even consider a Camry because its a Camry.
    Yeah but there are more who would only buy a Camry because it's a Camry.

Changing from Kingswood to Commodore didnt seem to affect Holden
    I'm pretty sure that's what gave Falcon the top-seller spot for a few years?

and change from Corona to Camry seemed ok as well
    Corona as sold here (post shovel-nose at least) was a terrible car, though. It's hard to imagine in hindsight, but a TN Magna was a revelation compared to a Corona; they needed something to push their newness & not-Coronaness.

Quote Originally Posted by takai View Post
    Because most of us know at least something about performance cars. Have no idea about SUVs though...
    Best left that way ...
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 06-10-17 at 06:58 AM.

Falcon outsold early Commodores because of the size difference. Not because of the name.

Changing the name to Commodore also made sense because it was quite a different type of car, and they were trying to push the aero'ness of it. Big glass shaped headlights, woooo!
    And Kingswood had, what, 10-15 year's worth of history?
    Camry's been a top-seller for 30 to 35 years, and it takes an expert to tell the new one from the old one; there's no point to rebranding when you're at the top of your game & pushing the same stuff, plus quietly hoping to avoid buyer backlash from pulling out (I'm sure the Camry enthusiast forums are already full of diehard Australian buyers all saying they'll never buy another!!).

Lol, I know Camry owners who have always said they were made in Japan. Only Jap built Camries we got was the very first liftback model in the early 1980s and the first V6 model, every other Camry until this week was built here.

nearly ready to trade in my '97
    "And I know that arseholes grow on trees but I'm here to trim the leaves" Peeping Tom, Mike Patton