Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Starter motor voltage drop

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    Well no it's not a single cable.
    He's not running the earth from the battery, he's only running the positive and everything earths via the chassis. Your advice about using a multimeter to find how much drop is occurring in each part of the circuit is spot on, but it seems to be getting ignored.

Quote Originally Posted by aerobrick View Post
    He's not running the earth from the battery, he's only running the positive and everything earths via the chassis.
    Right but the connection from the battery the chassis and then through the chassis and from the chassis to the starter are all points for voltage drop. The current flows around the whole circuit.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

As is being eluded to here - make sure the earth is good - just as important as the +ve. As Shonky said - there is battery to chassis, chassis to engine crossmember/gearbox crossmember, then through whatever mounts you have and onto the block/gearbox/bellhousing. (everything is painted - so its very easy to have high resistance taht way)
    If in doubt a quick check - grab a set of jumper leads and put 1 or both (pending on if they are cheap chinese shit) from teh -ve terminal to a bolt holding the starter on, then try cranking. Just be mindful about the jumper leads - the real cheap ones are tits useless hardly any wire - and heaps of insulation, you want ones have heaps of copper/wire to handle the current
    Ideally you could have a cable from battery to the block - same size as the +ve

BOOSTFARKIN
    Dunno how relevant but last time I pulled my motor down I found arking marks on crank rods and bearings I put it down to the earth bolted to head rather then block. When it went back together I since added a couple more earth's one going directly to the starter mounting bolt.

IMO a few more earth's on the motor is probably a good thing to do after checking battery is ok.

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsballs View Post
    Iíve been using unleaded to start it cold. Hundred ml down carb
    Too much, most of it will be cleaning the bores.

Try half that and leave the glass jar in the sun for a while, keep reducing amount until you have the least amount of petrol you can.

Or use aerostart instead.
    I'd rather put a 253 than efi

How much timing advance are you running? Retarded timing helps start cranky basterds. Does your msd have start retard feature?
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.

E85 with comp likes full timing. Last engine wouldnt start with a retard and the msd 7531 default was -10degs and never worked
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Have you measured anything yet?
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    One problem with that is most have electronic load testers you need a carbon pile load tester to be sure.
    Fucking load of shit. "Electronic" load testers measure the internal resistance of the battery, which is a more consistent indicator of current capability than a dodgy old load tester. And a lot safer too.

Quote Originally Posted by mondo2000 View Post
    Fucking load of shit. "Electronic" load testers measure the internal resistance of the battery, which is a more consistent indicator of current capability than a dodgy old load tester. And a lot safer too.
    So explain how batteries pass on snap-on load testers but then the old auto sparky I used to work with gets the old carbon pile tester and bam it fail's.
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

explain to me how a battery just off the charger and still warm passed a carbon pile load test, then failed on the electronic tester. when left to cool it failed on the carbon pile tester too. they each have their strengths i guess.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

Quote Originally Posted by briney View Post
    explain to me how a battery just off the charger and still warm passed a carbon pile load test, then failed on the electronic tester. when left to cool it failed on the carbon pile tester too. they each have their strengths i guess.
    You are right about that but my grandad taught me to never test a battery just after a charge.

good advice.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

My battery tester is from 1982 and glows inside when you hit the switch
    I find listening to how the thing fucking cranks as a better indicator of battery condition

Car starts fine even with lower voltage. Crank trigger was a little out, once i centred it, zero issues
    Its shit and lifter and gearbox has a rattle so its parked up till i can be fucked
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Car starts fine even with lower voltage. Crank trigger was a little out, once i centred it, zero issues
    Its shit and lifter and gearbox has a rattle so its parked up till i can be fucked
    I would still wire the MSD straight to the battery if it were me. I know it is not a critical issue but that is just how I roll.

Quote Originally Posted by briney View Post
    A battery just off the charger will have "surface charge" on the plates. This is indicated by the voltage steadily falling with no load applied to the battery, after a short while the voltage will stabilise giving a more accurate indication of the state of charge.. You can see it with a multimeter, it can be about 0.01V drop every few seconds. A sophisticated electronic tester well detect this surface charge and apply a small load to remove it, then test the battery again.

Quote Originally Posted by mondo2000 View Post
    A battery just off the charger will have "surface charge" on the plates. This is indicated by the voltage steadily falling with no load applied to the battery, after a short while the voltage will stabilise giving a more accurate indication of the state of charge.. You can see it with a multimeter, it can be about 0.01V drop every few seconds. A sophisticated electronic tester well detect this surface charge and apply a small load to remove it, then test the battery again.
    Surface charge is advised to be left on it's own for half an hour but a quick trick in the auto industry is to flick the head lights one for a while to get rid of the surface charge but as an example trojan batteries recommend waiting the half hour.

What kind of shit ignition system doesn't work at 10.5 volts?

I think your problem is elsewhere.

Msds are notoriously fickle.
    Retard Honour Wall.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    Rob Sloth Young did i ask for your opinion? no. i only want it for a paddock bomb. go play with traffic.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    you stupid fucken imbicle.
    Quote Originally Posted by Fondles
    your are a fucken idiot of the highest level.

Quote Originally Posted by Salim Mehajer View Post
    Msds are notoriously fickle.
    Just read the msds for the msd.
    xw Falcon 393 full race cam, NGK spark plugs.