Thread: turbo changes and vic roadworthy's

turbo changes and vic roadworthy's

hey guys, turbo's on my GTR are toast. was hoping to convert to a single anyways, but being unreg'd, ill have to get a roadie.

spoke to my usual roadworthy guy, and he said straight out no way. so that was the end of that.

however i was reading the NCOP rules, and they reckon you can change turbo's up to 20% bigger without re certification.

so does anyone know what the go is?

TIA
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Surely some acl heat sheilding would avoid the roadie guy even knowing the single was there?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by MRMOPARMAN View Post
    hey guys, turbo's on my GTR are toast. was hoping to convert to a single anyways, but being unreg'd, ill have to get a roadie.

spoke to my usual roadworthy guy, and he said straight out no way. so that was the end of that.

however i was reading the NCOP rules, and they reckon you can change turbo's up to 20% bigger without re certification.

so does anyone know what the go is?

TIA
    it looks like the 20% applies to power output, not turbo size (no idea how you would determine that anyway. weight? how many nokias you can fit in the inducer?) and that might cause you problems as an RB26 puts out more than 120% of its rated power from the factory.

what state are you in? that's probably more relevant than the NCOP. I don't have any solid experience but from NCOP https://infrastructure.gov.au/roads/...jan2011_v3.pdf page 31 and 31

I've smalltexted the bits that don't apply to your case, but the two normaltext examples still need LA1 or LA2 certification.

The following are the options for certifying turbocharger and supercharger installations:
     A turbocharger (or supercharger) installation does not require certification, if the
    installation is available as an option from the original vehicle manufacturer. All vehicle
    components that were supplied by the manufacturer as part of the original specification
    for the turbocharged vehicle must also be fitted.

A turbocharger (or supercharger) installation can be performed under Code LA1 only if
    the original engine was supplied with a turbocharged option and a non original equipment
    turbocharger (or supercharger) is fitted that does not increase the original most powerful
    engine power output by more than 20%.

A non original equipment engine with its turbocharger/supercharger may be installed
    under Code LA1 provided the power output is not 20% more than the most powerful
    optional engine offered by the manufacturer for that vehicle model.

 A turbocharger (or supercharger) installation can be performed under Code LA2 only if
    the original engine was supplied with a turbocharged option and a non original equipment
    turbocharger (or supercharger) is fitted that increases the original most powerful engine
    power output by more than 20%.

A non original engine with its turbocharger/supercharger may be installed under Code
    LA2 if the power output is 20% more than the most powerful optional engine offered by
    the manufacturer for that vehicle model.
    All other turbocharger and supercharger installations will require certification under Code LA3.
    also going from twins to a single will mean you have to comply with

When exhaust systems are modified, proof of compliance with the relevant ADR or in-service
    vehicle rule is required (refer to Code LT4 - Noise Emissions Test in Section LT Test Procedures).
    toast as in fucked or don't work very good? i'd say the easy option would be zip it together as per factor and then make sure you don't fit a single after it is registered.
    Last edited by Roadsailing; 16-01-17 at 08:53 PM.

nah, they be fucked. hopefully i can piece one together out of the 2 and use it on my rolla later.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post
    it looks like the 20% applies to power output, not turbo size
    well my plan was to jew out and make my own manifold, and use an FG falcon turbo.
    so 206kw to 235kw (tell the cunts its a BA turbo lol) = 114%

factory turbo's are worth lizard tanks. might have to go that way fro rwc then change again later.. but what a fuck around!
    Last edited by MRMOPARMAN; 16-01-17 at 08:58 PM.
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Surely some acl heat sheilding would avoid the roadie guy even knowing the single was there?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    probably get away with it if it was a GTST. but because fucking complicated TT enginebay, its real obvious going single.. especially since theres no other option than go high mount.

Just go to kmart place to get rwc. In and out 30mins
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

I was going suggest something like above, go elsewhere. I had no problems with the Torana that has many mods, some legal, some should have an engineers for and they didn't care.
    I did tell them it was for club permits so they may have been more lenient

Ebay turbo rebuild kit for the T28's, cheap and easy.

they are trust t517z's. so fairly average turbo's in the first place, and the impellor is fucked on the front turbo (havent got to the rear yet)

so imho its the perfect opportunity to get something modern, if i can pass the RWC dilemma.

ill have an ask around. been 6 years since i was in the trade. hopefully i can find a lenient contact round here.

Pollitically incorrect
    x2 for kmart auto.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

yeah i get what you guys are saying. look for young fucks that barely know what a GTR bay looks like.

there is one Kmart tyre and auto in bendi lol. not sure if they do roadies.. but i can guarantee it will end up on its roof on the test drive!

might have to pop in and ask them

Thought I'd add my 2c here. Larger turbo's technically aren't a roadworthy issue. They're an epa issue which can become an engineering problem for you. Find a roadworthy tester that will pass the car on the fact that it passes roadworthy requirements (noise, height, safety items etc) then go to a quiet VicRoads place to play it safe.

2 weeks ago I drove through a VL with a 6boost high mounted GT42, big plenum and all the associated gear. VicRoads didn't look twice. Just checked the engine number and that was it.

Just buy some -8's or something and be done?
    CISCOKIDS
    The Gentlemen's Club
    Midnight Rocker

Quote Originally Posted by vlsv88 View Post
    Thought I'd add my 2c here. Larger turbo's technically aren't a roadworthy issue. They're an epa issue which can become an engineering problem for you. Find a roadworthy tester that will pass the car on the fact that it passes roadworthy requirements (noise, height, safety items etc) then go to a quiet VicRoads place to play it safe.

2 weeks ago I drove through a VL with a 6boost high mounted GT42, big plenum and all the associated gear. VicRoads didn't look twice. Just checked the engine number and that was it.
    Im in NSW, but had a similar experience, blue slip (which is for NSW unregistered cars, so the more thorough inspection) didnt give a fuck about a big single, rosejointed suspension and stuff like that, just had to quieten it down and have a closed intake.
    this signature intentionally left blank

One of those things in Vic, you may get lucky but if you get the wrong idiot at Vicroads they can bend you over.

I had a huge argument with a young head wobbler who inspected my old dr30. He claimed it couldn't be rwc because it didn't have a crash pad on the factory steering wheel.

Then he leant on the exhaust manifold while looking for the engine number. While they tended to his burns his supervisor quickly checked the numbers and got me my plates
    Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars

Vicroads, im not worried about.

Roadworthy guys that won't pick the shit out of it are.

Not so much of a problem yet, as after nearly 8 months im still pulling the shitter apart lol.

I know rwc guys in Narre Warren who are flexible. Might be far for you

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

if your fully stuffed i can do it at work. but im in morwell.
    Sloth: [Sloff] Noun, like Skompa but with euro shitboxen, a large bearded person, with a penchant for cider and garlic pizza.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    That's retardism cunt stop discriminating against me and my fellow retards.

Quote Originally Posted by Sloth View Post
    if your fully stuffed i can do it at work. but im in morwell.
    Thanks heaps mate, location is no worries. Not sure which way i go with it yet, but if i go single ill let ya know for sure!