Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Postie Adventure bike.

Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    I know right, how awesome is that fucken bottle opener!
    Haha. The bike of so many uses.

I've been searching for posties since seeing this to
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Chairbourn ranger! Mike Lowrrryyy's Avatar
    Got home this arvo. Did around 500klms most of them on dirt. I’m knackered but an awesome trip. Will do a write up when I had some rest. Some pretty funny shit happened.
    Quote Originally Posted by S View Post
    I just want to apologise for some of my shit talking back around page 5.

done any mods yet ?

beauty in the eye of the beholder something something :

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ct90-post...sAAOSw44BYjZnK

Postie bikes take most engine upgrades you can buy for the chineeeeee mini bikes. Have ridden a pretty fun ct140
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

reminds me of this story. epic read
    http://advrider.com/index.php?thread...ed-dot.460631/

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    Postie bikes take most engine upgrades you can buy for the chineeeeee mini bikes. Have ridden a pretty fun ct140
    i put a lifan 150 in mine when i had it

and the biggest front sprocket i could get, did 125km/h on the gps and wheelies easy

but was a prick to start and didn't run the electrics so i had to charge the battery every day so the indicators would work

was fun till i hurt my knee trying to start the bastard

Opens
    Ride report not loading.

i have one at home which has a slightly modified atc125 crank in it. even got excited and fitted the efi setup from a cbr125. haven't ridden it with efi yet, but the 125 setup was a massive improvement power and torque wise. a cheap oko racing 26mm flatslide and a bigger header pipe is awesome too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Skompa View Post
    The throttle linkages jammed on the CDs in my old Triumph 2000 and stuck it at WOT.

I didn't realise for about 15 mins as it never broke the speed limit.

Getting ready for the next ride. Anyone happen to have an XR250 tank for not drug money?

Quote Originally Posted by SugarDaddy View Post
    Ride report not loading.
    i feel this needs requoting for relevance

Yeah sorry I’ll knock something up tomorrow night. Some funny shit happened.

First instalment. while I’m here.
    Some back ground.
    So my mate Blackness or Blacky that I do this with is also the same bloke I used to race downhill with and the same bloke I did/do the trike adventure rides with. “70cc” trike rides for 50 to 70klm’s at night in the mountains. Blackness is a champ. I’ve been mates with him for a bit over 20 years and we’ve seen some shit together. Whilst we see some of things differently about the world we are very similar blokes. We love a good adventure and you don’t let your mates down when they are counting on you. If things aren’t going to plan you just keep going. You might get the shits with each other now and again but you understand thats the case don’t take it to hart, just have a laugh after your tantrum and keep going. This will become apparent later in the story.

Prep.
    So Posite bikes are like the worlds smallest ute. You can carry shit with them and if you look after them they just go and go and go. Even when shit fucks up on them they just keep running. Bikes been upside down for 30 seconds running in mud? No worries.
    We worked out a plan that I would take most of the food and Blackness would take the beers. He also packed a little food and I packed a bottle of Bundy rum just in case it got fucking cold. So another words we over packed. But whilst we have both done a shit load of time in the bush you have to just figure some shit out as you go.
    He had the little stove and I had the pot. Sleeping gear was pretty sparse. I took a basic small canvas swag with lightweight sleeping bag and hiking mattress.
    We both had most of our old motocross gear and D.H race stuff so we decided on the D.H boots as they are 11ty more comfortable that MX boots and allow you to walk like a normal person along with MX pants and Nylon riding jackets. You can wear that shit for days get it dirty as fuck then just hose it out when you get home. Couple of pairs of jocks,socks and t-shirts done.
    We knew we would need to carry extra fuel as the stock tank is only good for 150klms and with the extra weight we factored it to be more like 120 to allow for a margin of error. IE we would both hold it flat everywhere trying to race each other and being cocks. I had another mate “He who can weld” fab me up a 5ltr jerry can holder and Blackness had a pair of 1ltrs fuel containers mounted inside PVC pipes on is forks. This gave us a fuel range of about 220klms each.

As per the previous page this is what it looked like ready to roll.

Note thongs mounted to top of esky. Best.Thing.Ever at the end of a long day.
    Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 30-03-17 at 11:41 PM.

So the morning of the trip started slowly at 10am. Meeting at my place with the plan to ride about 100klms to the base of the Barrington’s fill up the extra fuel containers grab a beer from a pub, quick bite then hit the road. Our rough plan was to get to Lady Well at some point. There was a little rain about but fucks given was at an all time low. It could of been snowing cats and we would still of been hitting the road. Both of us had had a stressful few months and just wanted to fuck off to some place without people. The less people the better. In fact the less of everything the better. Just 110cc of labouring Honda fury a camp fire and some time to clear your head.

A quick check of our shit and we hit the road. Quickly working out our top speed had gone from 80kph on flat ground to about 70kph. Hills equaled around 50kph and big hills? Big hills equaled 20kph. It was going to be a long trip. We pretty much knew this was going to be the case so had planned on taking every back road we could so to stay out of peoples way and we have no need to rush.
    Anyway we got about an hour from home (20 minutes by car for normal people) and as we where passing though Maitland the left sole of Blackness’s 510 D.H boot falls completely off. I had fucking tears in my eyes as he pulled up at a set of lights with some kind of demented anklet on and a white sock on the ground. We decide to look for any kind of shop thats open on Australia Day rather than have to return home. Now Maitland is full of annoying one way streets and other stupid stuff that old towns have not built to take cars but we are on Postie bikes. This means you can more or less do whatever the fuck it is you want. So after ignoring every traffic sign and riding down several footpaths we found a K-mart open. We park up and I watch Blackness walk in to the shops like homeless person who was enthusiastic about motocross but had poor choice of footwear.
    After what seemed like a very long time Blackness came back out sporting a very taste full pair of blue upper white soled $25 dress dessert boots. He now looked like a motocross enthusiast who might also drive an MX5 by choice. He knew I would find that shit funny as fuck and it was.

We got back on the road and headed for East Gresford. It rained on us a fair bit but it was still warm and it was just fucking ace to be on a bike with no solid plan other than returning home in 2 or 3 days. A not so short time later we got to the pub grabbed a beer and a packet of chips. Turns out the only servo in town was closed so we decided to head up to a managed camp ground about 30 minutes out of town to catch up with a mate was staying there and see if we could sponge some fuel off him.
    Unfortunately he couldn’t help us but he did have cold beer so we drank a couple whilst working out a new plan. We didn’t want to risk going to far into the hills but fucked if we wanted to stay in a camp ground either. One of the blokes thought the manager of the grounds might help us out so we stopped in to see him on the off chance he had some spare fuel. He was helpful as fuck as soon as he saw the postie bikes. We soon learnt every one loves you on a postie bike. Even more so when you have them packed to the hilt. After some digging he found a half full jerry can of fuel that we used to top the bikes up with. He was more than willing to give us the fuel but I managed to give him $20 and thanked him for his time.

Saved for editing
    Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 31-03-17 at 12:42 AM.

Opens
    Loving it so far.

yep sounds good so far - triumph in the face of adversity type stuff

Excellent read so far. I can imagine the laughter re the boot!

Haha fkn awesome adventure so far

We now had more or less full tanks but no spare fuel so we thought we would head up into the foothills for a look around and to find a place to camp for the night.
    This was our first taste of dirt. What we had come for.

There was a light dazzle when we hit the hills but that kept the dust down nicely. As I said before Blackness and I used to race DH together so a race would erupt every other corner. Anyway after a bit we found ourselves in proper rain at the top of a mountain ripping skids out of every corner laughing like children. We pulled up for a bit of a rest and discussion about setting up for the night. Right at this point on a random road in the middle of bumfuck nowhere two cops on WR450’s come around the corner. I’m not sure who was more surprised them seeing postie bikes along way from where postie bikes normally rome or us seeing cops out and about on a very random trial. We pulled up before they arrived and they pulled up next to us. The first words out of the first cops mouth? “Ha fucking awesome! I love postie bikes!”. We told them about our plans and that because we had no spare fuel we might head back towards town and make camp for the night. They offered to catch up with us and give us their spare fuel but we assured them we would be conservative and not take any risks running out. Because postie bikes have no trip better I’d been taking photos of the speed’o any time we had put fuel in. Long story short the cops were really good blokes and I have to say it great being able to have a chat with them without any static what so ever. We just talked tails and gave them a run down on the set up we had.
    Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 01-04-17 at 12:09 AM.

After not being able to find a decent spot on the mountain we rolled down the hill to look for some shelter from the rain and make camp. Seeing as the river was at an all time low and the dam was at 20% we decided to camp under a bridge next to the river like trolls. The moment I got off my bike the mother fucking right sole comes off my 510 DH boot. I was looking at it like what the fuck cunt then looked up to see Blackness with a huge shit eating grin knowing there wasn’t a K-mart around these parts and his blue dress boots now looked pretty fucking good right about now. I wrapped the boot up in hopes, prayers duct tape and zip ties.
    I was now the homeless motocross enthusiast.
    Unfortunately there wasn’t much wood around as it gets picked up by people staying at the camp grounds but that was ok by us. A quick feed a few beers a rum before bed fucken ace. We talked shit for a couple of hours and just enjoyed the sounds of the river. I was asleep about 8 seconds after getting into the swag.

Next morning we got up cooked some bacon on a little fry pan and made some percolated coffee in my little kettle. I don’t give a fuck how light we should pack good coffee will make any morning better. We packed up and headed back to East Gresford to fill up and head into the mountains proper.
    No sooner had we pulled up at the servo and the bloke behind the counter rushes out see us. I’m thinking wonder what the problem is. Nope “I love postie bikes” as soon as we get our helmets off. We fill the bikes then the jerry cans up whilst old mate has a chat with us and insists we have a coke and look at his BSA. Right at this point Blackness asks if there is a Vinnies in town we might be able to get a pair of boots from. Without skipping a beat old mate looks at my shoe back at me as says follow me in the ute boys I’ve got heaps of shoes something will fit. Before we could answer he is in his ute driving down the road.
    The servo guy. Just drives off from the servo. What strange land is this?

Anyway we get on our bikes as quickly as we can trying to catch up. We follow him to his place a couple of minutes from the servo he pulls up yanks to garage door open and grabs a basket of shoes. As you do.
    I go though them finding the holy grail of Adventure bike boots. A pair of white Addias 3 stripers. I didn’t get a photo of them but I did of the busted 510’s
    Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 31-03-17 at 08:56 PM.

By now the temp had changed very much warming up. We decided to get serious about getting up to Lady Well for a swim and a beer over lunch. We could only do one thing. Hold it flat everywhere. So pretty much what we had been doing the whole time.

There was a bit of traffic on the road so we kept a keen eye on our mirrors puling to the left to let people past. Again we didn’t cop a single bit of agro from holding people up. Just the odd toot of a horn and a thumbs up. Once we got to Lady Well we found it to be over run with bogans yelling at Ethan and Kayla to “Stop fucken around splashing and chucking rocks”. We decided to roll up the road a little have some lunch and go for a dip.

We pulled up a K or so up the road in an area that stated no camping. No sooner than had we got the pot to boil a State Forrest ute pulls up and two rangers get out. First words out of their mouths? “How awesome are postie bikes!” We have a good chat to Mike and Dave who again are top blokes and offer us some advice on out of the way not exactly kosher camping spots but they would tell the others to turn a blind eye. They had also run into the same cops we had and offered us fuel from the back of their ute. We told them we had filled up and it wasn’t a drama. We had turned back etc. They asked if they could take a photo for there Facebook page and offered to send us some maps when they got back to the office. To their credit they did as a week later 4 maps turned up at my place.
    The shot off the State forrest Facebook page.
    Note the white 3 stripers under my bike and I’ve just noticed you can almost make out Blackness’s blue boots.

We love the variety of visitors to our forests. Martin and Paul from Newcastle were testing out their trusty "Postie Bikes" at the Allyn River, Chichester State Forest, over the Australia Day period. These bikes were kitted with knobbly tyres, high-vis panniers (original AusPost of course) and plenty of dehydrated food!
    Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 01-04-17 at 12:18 AM.

After lunch we headed up the road a little more to a quite swimming hole they had told us about. We busted out a couple of beers and swam around for about 90 minutes.

The time is now midday and Blackness and I settle on a plan to pull up riding stumps at around 2pm kick back and do fuck all. This was incorrect as it would turn out. We weighed up our options on the map and decided to head toward Dungog get some more ice for the beer then head back into the hills around Chichester State forrest to camp.

By the time we had done that and gotten back to the dirt it was around 3p.m. We started looking around for a spot to camp and just couldn’t find good flat ground off the beaten track. After looking at our map we found what we thought was a back tack to the far side of the dam. It looked like it had not been used for years.

As it turns out it indeed had not been used for years. Thats because it was a track that instead of twisting and turning to go up and down the very very steep hills it just went straight up and straight down them. The going was hard, very hard. It was slippery as fuck with huge ruts and and fallen trees. I’ve been riding dirt bikes for a bit over 37 years and it was hard work. Easier on a real dirt bike but it would of still been tough going. The soft slippery clay meant you had to control your skid down the hill but once it got away from you it was like ice and you’re a passenger. I crashed 5 or 6 times. At one stage we had to unload the bikes and lift them over trees we just could’t ride over. After about 3 hours we made it out to the other side.

Only to find ourselves in the same main track that leads you into the forrest. 3hrs of hard graft to be back as square one and still no place to sleep. After some more dead ends and washouts we found what looked like a disused quarry. Fuck it that will do. At least it had some wood for a fire.

After a couple of beers and a rum this was fucking magic.
    Last edited by Mike Lowrrryyy; 01-04-17 at 12:22 AM.

Great adventure and felt like I was along for the ride.
    2017 Ford Ranger XLT (Jeep Wrangler recovery vehicle)

Quote Originally Posted by Monza View Post
    I've never considered myself the type of guy to eat arse but I am currently reviewing that policy

To be continued...

LOL at the rangers and facebook page - fame!

i also found out that old boot glue fails on the soles -was hiking and the sole came off - had to cut up a tent nylon stay and wrap around the sole and boot and walk about 20 km out :
    Last edited by 9triton; 01-04-17 at 09:23 AM.

Haha, this is fucking awesome!

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Fucking awesome. Am now off to gumtree postie bikes.

Epic adventure is epic.

Get a two for one deal Andy. I'll get my licence we can also do shenanigans
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Well Australia Day weekend is coming up fast so we are planning our next trip. We've done a few other weekends and started to reach a point where the postie bikes just don't have the range needed. They are awesome things but we want to do some longer trips and covering 600klm in a day at 60kph isn't exactly feasible over a weekend.

So the postie bike is off to gumtree. I've listed it without any of my bags or racks so if any of you blokes want a set up bike or bags let me know.

The bike I've replaced it with is a really well thought out and built WR450 that has everything I need to just jump on and do a Simpson crossing. 500klm range, extra 2.8ltrs in the oil system etc.
    I'll post a thread on it when I pick it up over the weekend.

Fuck you Uncle. You made me buy this:

Haha!