Thread: Roof top tents

Roof top tents

Looking at getting a roof top tent in the future, for some over night/long weekend type camping.

What brands are good?

Are they practical for a little one? Have a 6 month old so he will be about 1 when we get away, is it practical climbing up there with him? Never been in one so not sure how safe they are, can you seal them up when in it to stop him potentially getting out?

Cheers cunts.

What are you going to put it on?
    With a young child I'd rather be on the ground for safety.

I need more cylinders! nine2nine's Avatar
    Been using an ebay for around 5 years now. They are plenty safe enough with a frame up there and can be fully zipped up, zero chance of falling out. I would use one with a 1yo. They are 2.4m long inside so kid could potentially sleep at feet or head end.

Projects:
    '90 2jz-gte 929
    '02 twin-locked TD42 GU Patrol

Yeah, I personally wouldn't with a toddler / young kid.
    Once they start getting mobile and work out how up unzip the screen/door, there is nothing stopping them from falling the 2M to the ground...

A Couple in our 4WD club had a young girl and they used to have to padlock (think suitcase luggage lock) from the two zips together as their daughter would start trying to escape. Was a PITA when they needed to get up and down to check on the kid whilst it was sleeping (still early and we were all around the campfire etc) or when they went to bed and locked themselves in. Used to hear his cursing of an early morning looking for the key when he was dying to get out for a piss ha ha ha.

They had a generic looking ARB one

Will be on a prado, so decent height.

Maybe an awning tent or just a plain old tent, unless you want to be off the ground for security. Can you rig up a bed for everyone in the prado with the rear seats folded down?

Looked at that but it wouldn't work, little guys still in a baby seat so taking that out each night and moving everything into the front each night to set up some kind of bed just isn't practical.

Awning tent or just a good old tents the way to go I think. Will have an awning so might look into the awning tents.

interested in this too, throwing something on the roof racks for a bit of camping - anyone got suggestions on brands? are there cheap chinese ebay ones?
    Last edited by Stix Zadinia; 26-01-17 at 08:08 PM.

My dad has one of these on his Hilux.... he's not the type to buy anything without lots of research... does Simpson Desert trips etc

http://www.jamesbaroud.com.au/

I know nothing about them but if you have any questions I could ask him lol
    "Speed has never killed anyone, suddenly becoming stationary... that's what gets you." - JC

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post
    My dad has one of these on his Hilux.... he's not the type to buy anything without lots of research... does Simpson Desert trips etc

Those RTTs look the goods! Pretty exxy at $4,200 though (without any accessories)
    Last edited by StanM3; 29-01-17 at 01:27 PM.

Lots of blokes with the 4wd supacenter ones. At $695 you can really go wrong. Next step up would be the darche brand. All made in china anyway (including most if not all of the name brand ones)

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily: Honda Civic EK1 Hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	a.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	183.7 KB 
ID:	97650

Had this on the old jeep then packed it away for 5 or so years. I now have a 2 yr old boy, so I wacked it back on the pajero, and he loves it. Took him a day to master climbing the ladder by himself. Run 12volt lights and power up there, so we have lights, and at night, he can watch movies in there. I found it so much easier and sturdy than a tent. Trying to set up a tent while trying to control a 2 yrold solo is a bit of an ask. Also have to bring extra bedding, doonas, pillows. In the rooftop, I can leave all that in the tent, and its ready for next time.

The longest part is getting the outside cover off, the tent itself is up quicker. Regarding the zips thing, my boy soon worked them out too, but easy fix. I just smashed a fishing snap swivel on the zips on the outside layers. So he can open the canvas windows if he wants, but cant open the fly on the windows, and same with the rear door. Only if I'm a few meters away at night, do I bother putting one on the main door.

Had mine 7 years now. Has stood up to bulk. Pretty sure its a sahara off ebay. $800 delivered from over east to perth, including the drop down awning tent. Made in south Africa for the army. 5/7 Would camp again.

That looks cool, nice set up.

Quote Originally Posted by Shell View Post

These certainly look the goods