Thread: 3D printer guru's help me spend coin.

3D printer guru's help me spend coin.

3k usd to spend.

plug and play ABS printer single colour with big print footprint (A4 box has been asked for)

What to buy ?

Any thoughts on the Lulzbot Taz 6

https://www.lulzbot.com/store/printers/lulzbot-taz-6

http://store.3dprintingsystems.com/up-box

Highly recomend this printer. The latest model usues wifi also. Best bang for buck when quality, repeatability matters. This answers your other question Fondles. Post print requires little work. removal of support material and very very little hand finishing.

Is that the one you use, looks like it ticks all the boxes and comes in well under budget.

That's a fair bit smaller print volume than the Taz-6 though. When you say A4 box you mean 5 ream box of A4?

Given up on the Tevo or is this for work?

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    That's a fair bit smaller print volume than the Taz-6 though. When you say A4 box you mean 5 ream box of A4?

Given up on the Tevo or is this for work?

Its for work, the A4 thing was mentioned when I asked for the budget, I told em to up the budget to 50k if they want that kinda volume.

I do like the Taz build size but the UP looks like it would be more suited to work as an overall machine as it is straight out of the box designed/refined to print ABS, or so it claims.

Still got the Tevo but not yet done a print, new motherboard arrived about 2 weeks ago but ive not yet installed it, as Iam only interested in printing ABS Ive had to make an enclosure and as the Tevo is very flimsy ive hard bolted it onto the enclosure.

Should be up and running next week.

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post

Still got the Tevo but not yet done a print, new motherboard arrived about 2 weeks ago but ive not yet installed it
    what happened to the original motherboard ?
    Last edited by Gassed250; 27-01-17 at 04:20 PM.
    List of cars goes here

Quote Originally Posted by Gassed250 View Post
    what happened to the original motherboard ?
    No Firmware and board was non responsive when I tried to flash new firmware.

Anyone heard of Mankati printers and what are they like ?

I ask as they are available in Thailand so a local purchase is more favourable to import due to the 3D printers are banned for import thing .

http://www.mankati.com/fullscale-xt-plus/

Up Box+ has been given the nod, thanks Brypar.

Up Box+ has been given the nod, thanks Brypar.

No Dramas mate It is a great machine for the money. If you were to want something better than that you would need to spend 25k+

Avoid Mankati! A local school had one and it was a pig, really bad extruder design, it would drive you nuts. Be aware if you are going to get a large format, open frame printer to print ABS, you will have to make an enclosure for it and probably get a PEI sheet to put on the bed. I haven't tried PEI (Ultem) plastic yet but by all accounts it's the bomb for ABS as a printing surface, good adhesion but no jackhammer required for removal of the print. When I was looking for a large capacity printer i settled on the German RepRap x350 but they were 4K plus retail so no good with your budget. It's pretty difficult to find a machine with say a 350mm x 350mm build plate and I would never recommend a machine I hadn't worked with myself.
    From all accounts, the UP! Box is a pretty good machine and I've seen good prints out of them. Apparently, the software has been updated substantially and now allows for much greater adjustment of the printing process. Prior to this the machines were really locked down and you couldn't use generic filament in them, just the UP formula of ABS. The UP Box apparently allows you to "side feed" filament that's not UP brand. If all of this is true then the UP Box would look like a pretty solid proposition.
    Last edited by Benonymous; 30-01-17 at 07:03 PM.
    “Buy the ticket, take the ride.’”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

We recommend to only use the UP + ABS filament.

Can you side feed it?
    “Buy the ticket, take the ride.’”
    ― Hunter S. Thompson

Quote Originally Posted by Benonymous View Post
    Avoid Mankati! A local school had one and it was a pig, really bad extruder design, it would drive you nuts. Be aware if you are going to get a large format, open frame printer to print ABS, you will have to make an enclosure for it and probably get a PEI sheet to put on the bed. I haven't tried PEI (Ultem) plastic yet but by all accounts it's the bomb for ABS as a printing surface, good adhesion but no jackhammer required for removal of the print. When I was looking for a large capacity printer i settled on the German RepRap x350 but they were 4K plus retail so no good with your budget. It's pretty difficult to find a machine with say a 350mm x 350mm build plate and I would never recommend a machine I hadn't worked with myself.
    From all accounts, the UP! Box is a pretty good machine and I've seen good prints out of them. Apparently, the software has been updated substantially and now allows for much greater adjustment of the printing process. Prior to this the machines were really locked down and you couldn't use generic filament in them, just the UP formula of ABS. The UP Box apparently allows you to "side feed" filament that's not UP brand. If all of this is true then the UP Box would look like a pretty solid proposition.
    Cheers, yep UP Box+ it is.

Quote Originally Posted by brypar View Post
    We recommend to only use the UP + ABS filament.
    yeah as it is works first printer I'll insist all consumables come from UP.

lol. and after all that and been given the nod to buy the Up Box+ My manager put forth the details.

Told today Purchase request has been approved and purchase order sent but................................

Someone decided a Thai built machine for $800 that has a print volume of 500 x 500 x 700 and only prints PLA at 200 microns was the better machine so thats whats been ordered.

And some wonder why iam soooo fucking over working for this fucking place.

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    lol. and after all that and been given the nod to buy the Up Box+ My manager put forth the details.

Told today Purchase request has been approved and purchase order sent but................................

Someone decided a Thai built machine for $800 that has a print volume of 500 x 500 x 700 and only prints PLA at 200 microns was the better machine so thats whats been ordered.

And some wonder why iam soooo fucking over working for this fucking place.
    write "i told you so" on a piece of paper, put it in an envelope, seal it, give it to your boss. when the time comes, tell him to open it.

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post
    write "i told you so" on a piece of paper, put it in an envelope, seal it, give it to your boss. when the time comes, tell him to open it.
    I answer to my manager, the decision to buy this piece of crap came from above.

I work in the prototype dept which supports the product development department, Already told my manager this contraption can go straight to them to play with as it is nothing more than a toy.
    The intent for this purchase was for prototyping as well as producing low volume production parts hence the up box + was agreed upon by all, it ticked all the boxes................ sigh.

Anywho fuck all for me to do at work tomorrow so might call in sick again..... we get 30 sick and 8 personal days per year... am out of personnel days and only have 12 sick days left.
    Last edited by Fondles; 21-03-17 at 11:24 PM.

and how many holidays ? and public holidays ? do they give over there ?

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    and how many holidays ? and public holidays ? do they give over there ?

20 annual leave, 16 public.

Thai new year is about 3 weeks away thats 5 public holidays in one hit.

20 annual leave, 16 public.

Thai new year is about 3 weeks away thats 5 public holidays in one hit.
    Any jobs going ?
    List of cars goes here

Quote Originally Posted by Gassed250 View Post
    Any jobs going ?

I think production will need staff once Fuso assembly starts up, shit hours though @ 48 over 6 days but you do get 15 minute morning and arvo smoko and an hour for lunch(lunch is supplied by onsite food hall).

What's it pay

I'm doing 10-12 hour days now starting at 1 am, id rather do something interesting and pay someone to do the courier work
    List of cars goes here

about 350

about 350
    Ok 350aud a day hmmm its a bit of a pay cut but hey the work has to be better than sitting in a hiace for hours
    List of cars goes here