Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Just Car Insurers Customers - Did you get an offer from AAMI or Shannons?

Just Car Insurers Customers - Did you get an offer from AAMI or Shannons?

On your modified vehicle

Anyone left out in the cold?

IE Can't get insurance for your car

Background - Suncorp group are wrapping up JCI this year

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    kinda, (TPFAT on a boring car, 80's hilux with no mods except steering wheel, went with just car as it has surface rust and minor body damage and all the normal insurers didn't want to know about it) don't have the letter but it said something along the lines of "we are closing, you will be covered until we close and then may be sent an offer for cover from shannons"

I have been wondering about who will cover actual modified cars, just car seemed to be almost too good to be true. maybe it was.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    ^ Suspect if it wasn't, it'd still be going.
    What was better than what Shannons offers, though?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

They offered insurance to young blokes that didn't fit the flat cap and leather patches on your tweed jacket clientele that Shannons seems to have been targeting in the last few years.

Are there any alternatives?
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post
    I have been wondering about who will cover actual modified cars, just car seemed to be almost too good to be true. maybe it was.
    Just cars werent too good to be true.. they offered very low end agree-values to people who were high risk customers

Obviously not low enough though lol

I suspect Suncorp are just consolidating some of their confusing and complex multi brand strategy, more than the JCI offering being unviable/mispriced

Expect Shannon's and AAMI will both shift slightly to absorb the "gap" left

Just trying to test this theory by seeing what other JCI customers are finding

I got a quote from Aami in anticipation of having to switch and it was $50 a month more than JCI for my hardly driven, securely parked, currently unmodded 2013 wrx and my clean driving history. Sigh. The couple of times Ive rung Shannons to get a quote the recorded voice tells me theyre experiencing high traffic and I may be waiting some time.

I got straight through to shannons the other day. $75/month for basic daily and laid-up Vlt.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by yohoes View Post
    Just cars werent too good to be true.. they offered very low end agree-values to people who were high risk customers

Obviously not low enough though lol
    Modified cars aren't the problem, its heavily modified dailies. Shannons have always Been tight on this and driving histories.

Sent from my HTC_PN071 using Tapatalk

Also, I think Shannons don't insure under 25s?

Quote Originally Posted by yohoes View Post
    they offered very low end agree-values to people who were high risk customers
    that only half makes sense, my understanding of agreed value (which is irrelevant to me as any quote i got from JCI for comp was comical) is that you just pay according to the value you agree to.

don't own anything remotely modified at the moment so while I hope the vacuum is filled by a company other than shannons it is academic.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    Are there any alternatives?
    I'm not in anyway affliliated and not currently insured by them, but had previously used Famous Car Insurance on a modified S14. This however was about half a decade ago. Never had to make any claims either, so can't accurately comment.

However, they claim they'll insurance High Performance and Modified vehicle and their still kicking about.
    http://www.famousinsurance.com.au/your-car-insurance/

Quote Originally Posted by BreaksMyWallet View Post
    They do

Supraholic
    Have been insured with them since 20 myself.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post
    that only half makes sense, my understanding of agreed value (which is irrelevant to me as any quote i got from JCI for comp was comical) is that you just pay according to the value you agree to.
    Something with a value too far outside what the insurer considers a "sensible" range is too high a risk; so an under-insured car is considered dodgy from a "why is it worth so little?" point of view (eg. why would you insure an immaculate R34 GT-R for $12k?), and an over-insured car is also considered dodgy (eg. have you just bought an R34 GT-R for $70k, paid your $15k/yr insurance-premium to insure it for $250k, with the intention of it accidentally falling in the dam & being a write-off for the payout?).

I'll bet the under-25's with modified cars insured by Shannons either have parents who've been insured for a while with them, or have club affiliation.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Yeah club affiliation basically. Ive been with them since I was about 22, was VP of a club at the time and they were more than happy to cover me.
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    Something with a value too far outside what the insurer considers a "sensible" range is too high a risk; so an under-insured car is considered dodgy from a "why is it worth so little?" point of view (eg. why would you insure an immaculate R34 GT-R for $12k?), and an over-insured car is also considered dodgy (eg. have you just bought an R34 GT-R for $70k, paid your $15k/yr insurance-premium to insure it for $250k, with the intention of it accidentally falling in the dam & being a write-off for the payout?).

I'll bet the under-25's with modified cars insured by Shannons either have parents who've been insured for a while with them, or have club affiliation.
    yeah that too

Used to be the case, but now they're just selective about who they insure that are under 25.

I've been with them since I was 20, and my nopics is under 25 now but we have her car insured with Shannons with her as the sole driver.
    2003 Toyota ST246W Caldina GT-Four N-Edition
    2001 Nissan NM35 Stagea RS Four V
    1995 Yamaha SRV250 Classic
    1980 Kawasaki KZ750E

I didn't get an offer. :|
    Quote Originally Posted by Mike Lowrrryyy View Post
    So are we changing the thread title to "umm I guess he is ok then"

Quote Originally Posted by Marks View Post
    I didn't get an offer. :|
    You will, about a month out from your existing renewal date. If you don't, call Just Car and check your mailing details are up to date.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

I have been insured with them since i was 18 on Ps (now 28) had no club affiliation, and was driving a v8 Commodore (legal to do in ACT on Ps) never had any problems, they recently upgraded my agreed price on my VLT a decent amount and it only increased my premiums by 32 dollars a year. made one claim with them also and didnt have any issues with them. currently have 4 cars and home and contents with them. and i found them to be comparable on price with everyone else i got quotes from.

153, level 2. The Library. With a snifter of brandy.
    Quote Originally Posted by shifted View Post
    Have been insured with them since 20 myself.
    Around 1999 Shannons changed from anyone of any age to being picky if you were under 25. I asked when I was 22 (70's Mazda and they said no), but they insured my mate at uni who had a Turbo TX5 and who was the same age because he'd been with them since he was 18.

I'm with Lumley. Cheaper than Shannons, less restrictions, barely any waiting when you call up. Win.
    Quote Originally Posted by Stix Z
    i'm upset i lost that video of that aboriginal woman taking a dump on a train that was on youtube
    Quote Originally Posted by Jim
    Sorry, am late to this thread. I have been protesting against whitey oppressors all morning with my people. I shall serenade this thread with my didge until nash comes in and puts it all into perspective.
    Quote Originally Posted by Sketchypimp
    the crumbs are the best bits of the golden gaytimes

Last edited by Shonky.; 04-06-17 at 12:08 AM.

Last edited by Shonky.; 04-06-17 at 12:09 AM.

Call Shannons, tell them you're with JCI right now, have had an offer from AAMI but your car has lots of mods you want covered. Will get a better policy for a relatively similar price. Then you won't have to worry about possibly needing to have an argument if anything ever came of it.

Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

will do, cheers

i called AAMI after getting an offer for them and was denied coverage based on mods. not calling them and assuming everything will be ok to save a bit on premium seems stupid. may as well not have any insurance.

not trying to save money, just trying to ensure I don't end up unable to get insurance

just "adjusted" above posts until I sort it out, but my logic is as follows

I haven't told AAMI a thing about me

they have obviously got info from elsewhere (IE Just car insurance)

if they have copied over some, but not all of the info from my Just Car Insurance policy, they how is that on me?

they haven't asked me for any info at all, so how could I have failed my duty of disclosure

Suncorp Group have the data, not my fault they can't make use of it correctly
    Last edited by Shonky.; 04-06-17 at 12:15 AM.

ps. Crack, of course, appreciate your post/experience, not getting uppity at you, just hating on AAI/Suncorp's shite