Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Results 61 to 84 of 84

Thread: Just Car Insurers Customers - Did you get an offer from AAMI or Shannons?

  1. #61
    Registered User Shonky.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    919
    just called AAMI

    all mods covered; they said they don't maintain details and don't need to know

    just ensure the sum insured is sufficient to cover

    I was able to increase sum insured from around 37k to a max of 45k

    got a quote from Shannons

    well over twice as much, albeit for a sum insured of 50k

    its a better policy, but I'd rather deviate my septum with the coin than buy baller insurance for a coon car

  2. #62
    Registered User THE CHIEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    189
    I just received an offer from aami for my skyline. It does state in the renewal letter that legal modifications are covered to the value of the policy. It's just 3rd party f & t, covers to 10k. I'm happy with that as I'd be pushing shit up hill to sell the whole car for that. In the what we need to know section, they don't ask for clarification of mods. Think I'm just going to renew as is.

  3. #63
    Owns a Ferrari BeverlyHillsCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Garage
    Posts
    4,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Southo View Post
    .....White given a discount, all others standard rates until sufficient data was obtained...
    Insurance companies are racists!!!!!
    /csh Racing

  4. #64
    Modulator Southo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    7,139
    Quote Originally Posted by BeverlyHillsCop View Post
    Insurance companies are racists!!!!!
    Can't believe it took someone.. ANYONE 6 days to comment on that.... LOL

    Good news on the mods front..... Just make sure that EVERYTHING is legal..

  5. #65
    Owns a Ferrari BeverlyHillsCop's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2006
    Location
    Garage
    Posts
    4,374
    Quote Originally Posted by Southo View Post
    Can't believe it took someone.. ANYONE 6 days to comment on that.... LOL

    Good news on the mods front..... Just make sure that EVERYTHING is legal..
    Mate ur just lucky Network 10 has gone belly up... I was just about to pick up the phone to Waleed.
    /csh Racing

  6. #66
    on hoes? yohoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Southo View Post
    Can't believe it took someone.. ANYONE 6 days to comment on that.... LOL

    Good news on the mods front..... Just make sure that EVERYTHING is legal..
    Yea so basically when it comes down to it, your modified car is unlikely to be legal unless you have engineering reports and full permits

    So you'd be in limbo most of the time whether it blows up in your face at claim time

  7. #67
    Modulator Southo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    7,139
    Technically - yes...
    Non factory tinted headlight covers or Dark window tint, or those gay little headlight 'eyebrows' are all illegal.
    BUT, And it's a HUGE Kardashian But... to some extent - that illegal modification would need to have played a part in the claim for them to turn around and decline that claim. Eg, if you were stationary at the lights and some bozo ran up your arse, then your headlight covers were not a contributing factor.. They would pay your claim, but may decline you on renewal if the mod is outside their guidelines....

    Where it become grey is that if the modification was huge... say a quad turbo big block in your mighty-boy.. then they could say - well, that is soo illegal that we would not have accepted it (and pull out a copy of their underwriting guidelines that specificaly states - No Quad Turbo Big blocks in anything) - then you are most likely screwed......

  8. #68
    Grumpy cunt ChrisS's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2002
    Location
    ACT, Australia
    Posts
    4,845
    Do you have it in writing or just their work over the phone?

    You would want all the mods listed on the policy, and to be legal for you to have them (engineered etc).

    / --------------- \
    _/ /___________\ \_
    /_________|_________\
    |OOO ___________ OOO|
    \______|====|______/
    [_]-------------------[_]


  9. #69
    Registered User Shonky.'s Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2014
    Location
    Brisbane
    Posts
    919
    Quote Originally Posted by ChrisS View Post
    Do you have it in writing or just their work over the phone?
    no, but I wrote down the date and time of the call, plus the first name of the individual I spoke to

    they record their calls, but I suspect if I quoted these details at claim time that would be sufficient for them to know I had my ducks in a row


    my understanding, is that despite what cynical people think, insurance companies for the most part look for reasons why they can pay a claim, not the opposite

    right up until when they know you lied to them, then youre going to get the business end of their resources

    they are very mindful of public perceptions, so if you seem like a decent person, with the right intentions, then you should be ok

    most of it is geared towards removing shit cunts from the pool

  10. #70
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cronulla
    Posts
    1,263
    Anybody tried Famous insurance as I believe they are insuring modded cars now.

  11. #71
    PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    The Crime Zone
    Posts
    28,906
    ^ Never heard of 'em.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

  12. #72
    Modulator Southo's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    Sydney, NSW
    Posts
    7,139
    Yeah, heard of them - been around for quite a while - never insured with them....

  13. #73
    Registered User THE CHIEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    189
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    Anybody tried Famous insurance as I believe they are insuring modded cars now.
    Filled out their form online for a quote, never heard back from them. On that note i'd rather them not insure me.

  14. #74
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cronulla
    Posts
    1,263
    Well I guess Famous are no good then. Its just a person who has a highly modified evo that was insured by
    Just Cars then tried Shannons who would only insure it for $14,000 for $2000. So he tried Famous and they valued
    it for $30,000 at less than half Shannos price. I think Famous have something to do with the ARDC. But as you
    guys said they are no good. I just dont understand why he would bullshit so much.
    Im happy with Shannons.

  15. #75
    PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2001
    Location
    The Crime Zone
    Posts
    28,906
    Quote Originally Posted by THE CHIEF View Post
    Filled out their form online for a quote, never heard back from them. On that note i'd rather them not insure me.
    Question - is there a chance they have changed their policy on modified cars since you filled out their online form?
    I'm sure I've filled-out a couple of contact forms after getting (physical) mail saying I could get massive discounts on insurance through [whoever], and then no response because they actually don't cover me in my circumstance.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

  16. #76
    Registered User clutch-monkey's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    Location
    brisbane
    Posts
    4,287
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    Well I guess Famous are no good then. Its just a person who has a highly modified evo that was insured by
    Just Cars then tried Shannons who would only insure it for $14,000 for $2000. So he tried Famous and they valued
    it for $30,000 at less than half Shannos price. I think Famous have something to do with the ARDC. But as you
    guys said they are no good. I just dont understand why he would bullshit so much.
    Im happy with Shannons.
    Was a while ago but I seem to recall some not very complementary things about how famous handled claims?

  17. #77
    Registered User THE CHIEF's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2016
    Location
    Melbourne
    Posts
    189
    I never said they where no good. Just my experience. Funny though, they offer a discount for anyone with a cams licence but then don't follow through with a quote when you apply.

  18. #78
    Banned
    Join Date
    Mar 2012
    Location
    Cronulla
    Posts
    1,263
    Yes I applied for a quote and also no response.

  19. #79
    on hoes? yohoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,745
    Quote Originally Posted by Southo View Post
    Technically - yes...
    Non factory tinted headlight covers or Dark window tint, or those gay little headlight 'eyebrows' are all illegal.
    BUT, And it's a HUGE Kardashian But... to some extent - that illegal modification would need to have played a part in the claim for them to turn around and decline that claim. Eg, if you were stationary at the lights and some bozo ran up your arse, then your headlight covers were not a contributing factor.. They would pay your claim, but may decline you on renewal if the mod is outside their guidelines....

    Where it become grey is that if the modification was huge... say a quad turbo big block in your mighty-boy.. then they could say - well, that is soo illegal that we would not have accepted it (and pull out a copy of their underwriting guidelines that specificaly states - No Quad Turbo Big blocks in anything) - then you are most likely screwed......
    Thats the issue with some random call centre chick saying 'nah we dont need to knoe the exact mods, just value' at RAC.. its fairly up in the air whether your car is more quad turbo big block or just dark tint illegal

  20. #80
    Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    5,486
    Just got a letter from Shannons (Was about to call justcar as I thought my policy had expired,) saying the Just Car cover will expire soon and pay this much if you want to be insured with us. pretty cheap, and for comprehensive which is pretty funny on an old Hilux with rust. I'm planning to club rego it at some stage so hopefully that will knock the premium down.

    also my two door automatic Hilux is now a crew cab manual according to them, will have to get them to change that before I renew.

    I wonder if Shannons will insure MCM now? or if they got JC much business?

  21. #81
    Registered User farmsci's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Location
    Canberra
    Posts
    1,627
    Just give them a quick ring to correct the errors. The two systems weren't 100% compatible and some data didn't transfer across perfectly. Better to do it beforehand, but not overly critical.

    Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
    1990 E30 BMW 318is - In progress!
    1974 KE25 Corolla Coupe - So much rust...
    1955 Matchless G9 - On the road and loving it!
    1954 Matchless G80 - Because the one above runs too well so I need something more broken...
    And a fucking 1962 Rover... Because that makes sense

  22. #82
    on hoes? yohoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,745
    Quote Originally Posted by turbosurfer View Post
    Anybody tried Famous insurance as I believe they are insuring modded cars now.
    I spoke to Famous recently and they will definitely would insure very modified cars

    Wouldnt go above 60k cover on my GTR even with photos and spec list.. tried debating and told them i had higher coverage elsewhere but just said theyll insure it for that figure and would discuss upping it after the first year.. yeaa nahh suck my dick

    For what its worth, the premium at 60k was more or less the same as what Shannons would charge for the same value

  23. #83
    on hoes? yohoes's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2006
    Location
    WA
    Posts
    2,745
    Also worth noting that I know many dudes over East are getting very good agreed values at very low premiums via NRMA Vintage cover at the moment

  24. #84
    Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2003
    Location
    melbourne
    Posts
    5,486
    Quote Originally Posted by farmsci View Post
    Just give them a quick ring to correct the errors. The two systems weren't 100% compatible and some data didn't transfer across perfectly. Better to do it beforehand, but not overly critical.

    Sent from my E6853 using Tapatalk
    got a call from shannons this morning, they are price matching JCI so the premium for club rego was actually going to be more expensive than for full rego, might go club when rego is due and then not bother then either.

    Policy now reflects what the car actually is.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •