Thread: Catalysts, 100cell, 200cell, 400cell...

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW

Catalysts, 100cell, 200cell, 400cell...

Alright I know this probably a dumb question is like asking how long a piece of string is....

But, anyone got any first hand experience of how much louder (comparitively speaking) different cell counts of cats are, and what's the trade-off or balance between flow and noise?

The stock cats on the Jag V8's are a dual-brick arrangement with a 600 cell upstream, and a 400 cell downstream, a 2-1/4" inlet/outlet (roughly) and obviously there is one on each bank.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jaguar-1HAA 2R83 5E212DC-Ecotradegroup_4.JPG 
Views:	43 
Size:	70.5 KB 
ID:	97734

They also do a hell of a job of keeping the car quiet.

After the cats choked up on my XJR, I had 100cells fitted, and it's really too loud.
    Ditto for a friend with an XK, he ditched the factory cats & went for 100 cells, same problem, too loud.
    Another friend got 200 cells on his F-Type from a company in the states, yep, too loud...

It's at the point now where adding resonators to the factory straight through exhaust to quieten in down is looking necessary.

Factory exhaust example:

Name:	P1010808.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	456.0 KB 
ID:	97735

Name:	P1010816.jpg 
Views:	37 
Size:	492.0 KB 
ID:	97736

This is also a shit because it would mean moving the factory x-pipe forwards to make space for the resonators to go downstream of it... they put it there for a reason I guess...

Now got another car coming up that should get new cats, this time I really don't want 100cells and the loudness that comes with them.

Seems like 200 cell is the "standard" aftermarket cat in Europe and North America. But there are also 400 cells available, and i'm thinking the 400 is the way to go. Basically looking for a better flow than an old choked up stock cat, without becoming obnoxiously loud, like the 100cells.

So anyone able to say if a 100 or 200 cell is too loud, a 400 cell will be as well?

Cheers
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

How many resonators stock?

I only ask as I have a VE V8 and had 1 7/8" extractors and 100 cell cats put in and unless i'm flat to the floor it really doesn't sound any louder that i've noticed. In every day use it's still quiet. I haven't changed the rest of the exhaust, so maybe the stock mufflers are really blocked up and keep it quiet?

Would something like this fit.. Leave it at 100 cell:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-straight...-/181632963455

? Might rob powers though.

My main issue with having 100 cell cats is cold starts and idling - you really can smell the exhaust and it smells different to stock, presumably better, catalytic convertors

How many resonators stock?
    Um, on the XKR and the F-Type, none... nothing...

It's just the cats, straight pipes, x-pipe, straight pipe, and then the rear muffler which is active and is basically straight through when the valves are open...

Name:  XKR Exhaust.JPG
Views: 503
Size:  104.1 KB

Valves open mean it's pretty much a straight through system

I only ask as I have a VE V8 and had 1 7/8" extractors and 100 cell cats put in and unless i'm flat to the floor it really doesn't sound any louder that i've noticed. In every day use it's still quiet. I haven't changed the rest of the exhaust, so maybe the stock mufflers are really blocked up and keep it quiet?
    Probably, maybe? Perhaps the factory cats on a VE aren't all that restrictive to begin with?

Would something like this fit.. Leave it at 100 cell:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/2-5-straight...-/181632963455

? Might rob powers though.
    17" long, I think too long to fit without having to move the x-pipe forward.

But in saying that, I know another XKR in NZ that's running no cats, with a pair of those hotdog type resonators after the x-pipe (it was moved forward about a foot), and it was still so loud we had to change the active exhaust operation in the tune to keep it closed all the time except for startup and trailing throttle/overrun. So I also don't know how much they will help bring the noise down...

My main issue with having 100 cell cats is cold starts and idling - you really can smell the exhaust and it smells different to stock, presumably better, catalytic convertors
    Well yeah there's that too, it stinks...

100 cells are pretty much off the table, i suppose basically the question is how much quieter will 400 cells be in comparison?

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Wot. Get rid of the rear muffler :P... Put proper mufflers in? It must weigh a tonne....

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/282048467609

Ve exhaust looks like that, pretty normal. I'm surprised the normal cats made it that much more quiet, but that would mean they are quite restrictive, not really what you want. I imagine keeping the cats (200 cell?) and putting the smallest resonators you can find in that pipe size would probably make the difference you need, as I understood it you just wanted to take the "edge" off the note, something a very restrictive cat would do...

Would you actually lose any power in1a 100 cell value 400 cell comparison anyway? I don't know how much power they really take... 100 cell was just the cheapest option for me!

I haven't weighed one of those rear muffler assemblies, but according to the parts catalogue they are 18kg so not that heavy, less than a full size spare wheel...

Seems that the factory exhaust could be more or less straight through because it's the cats that do most of the muffling...

There's some pics here which show how much light passes through 100, 200, 300, 400 cells, http://www.surefloexhaust.com.au/exh...istic_cats.htm

How much of a difference that will make in power, and noise, I don't know, hence the questions.

I'll probably buy some 400 cells and put them in as a replacement for the 100 cells and see how it sounds.

These are cheap and metal substrate: http://www.scottsrods.com.au/2.25-me...erter-400-cell so I guess try it and see is the answer...

I went to 100cel in the 964 and it was a really loud difference. It went from "nicely loud" to "way too loud".

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
    Japanese Nostalgic Car - Dedicated to classic japanese cars

I've been running 100-cell cats and a Hi-Tec OEM (style) rear can in my Z34 for as long as I've had it. It initially crackled on overrun and after a while, the pop's were loud enough to get plod's attention which is why I added the resonators under the seats about 12 months ago

CAMS drive-by is now comfortably under 75BDba (previously right on the limit and once or twice I had to resort to chicken wire in the outlets but now plod has professed himself happy according to plod-ear .......... who knows what a meter would say

I guess it's worth trying the 400 cell cats... I actually have those cats you linked to in the first link (ballistic racing 100 cell)...

Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    I went to 100cel in the 964 and it was a really loud difference. It went from "nicely loud" to "way too loud".
    That's basically the problem now.

Quote Originally Posted by BGTV8 View Post
    I've been running 100-cell cats and a Hi-Tec OEM (style) rear can in my Z34 for as long as I've had it. It initially crackled on overrun and after a while, the pop's were loud enough to get plod's attention which is why I added the resonators under the seats about 12 months ago

CAMS drive-by is now comfortably under 75BDba (previously right on the limit and once or twice I had to resort to chicken wire in the outlets but now plod has professed himself happy according to plod-ear .......... who knows what a meter would say
    Not particularly worried about police, EPA or track noise limits, it's more a case of from behind the wheel it's too damn loud.

Also the F-Types pop & crackle & backfire already as stock so it's how they come from the factory, officer...

I guess it's worth trying the 400 cell cats... I actually have those cats you linked to in the first link (ballistic racing 100 cell)...
    Yeah, suck it & see with the 400's I guess. I probably have the same 100 cells as you do already, CHE put them in.
    Last edited by Jack Nicholson; 05-02-17 at 04:33 PM.

A friend recently had a 200 cell cat put in his BMW 330 with an aftermarket, but not loud muffler. Changing from the standard BMW cats to the 200 cells increased the noise a little, but certainly not excessive. It did sound a little more raspy when he backed off but overall a pretty decent sound. I would say his particular muffler toned things down nicely. I had a higher flow (but cant remember the cell count) generic looking cat put on my Toyota Prado a while back with the standard muffler and it also didn't make it sound too loud but did sound a bit deeper (Not that a locked and lifted Prado is sporty). I suppose these cars could get by with it due to the non active muffler. One issue a friend of mine warned me about is some cars will throw fault codes with different cats fitted.

Bump this over a new thread.

Have 100 cell ballistic cats 3 or 3.5" in a 4 inch body.

First, does going to a slightly smaller body add that much restriction? Exh is twin 3". Was planning now the manual is in and there's a bit more room, cutting and shutting the down pipe to improve clearance a bit.

Second, are these still the brand to go for? Notice there's a lot more generics about now, just no sure of the quality.

Cheers.

Do you, or are you likely to need to pass a real emissions test?
    ---
    Shed Project: 1994 Laser Lynx with BP-T

Hah, the perennial question...

The main, very f*cking annoying, reason I went for the low twins over a big single was to pass the more stringent emissions that applied from the VE on. At the time the gimps that be in Qld were dragging a few people over the pits and putting the device up the pipe.

Short answer is really unlikely, particularly down in Tas, but long answer ^ and considering the time spent keeping it mostly legal, yeh, probably will try keep the things.
    Last edited by darwinschops; 04-02-18 at 08:38 AM.

However, will go for the least likely to actually pass "I put cats in it" defence if tested 100cell ones, just want to know if anyone has dealt with qualitative differences between ballistic, who were pretty solid when I was looking in on it v the plethora of generics available now.

Quote Originally Posted by darwinschops View Post
    However, will go for the least likely to actually pass "I put cats in it" defence if tested 100cell ones, just want to know if anyone has dealt with qualitative differences between ballistic, who were pretty solid when I was looking in on it v the plethora of generics available now.
    I would go whatever is legal... The 100 cell ballistic ones I have definitely have "not for road use" printed on them... Also, when cold, when flogging it, etc, you can definitely smell the difference in the exhaust from stock cats... It smells very different... I'd say if you even idle the car at a place where they are inspecting, they'll be suss...

I wouldn't get them if you even needed to pass a 'sniff' test...

Hmmmm... good to know..