Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: HDJ80R Landcruiser 1HD-T rebuild:

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Is the 400k thing the same for 1HDFTE's as well? See plenty with 500k on them etc. Are they all time bombs waiting to let go?
    If so the 25k buy in is a bit rich.
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

is unplugging your matrix aaron_hogan's Avatar
    The 1hdfte's seem to last just fine. Having said that the bottom end is the same as 1hdt anyway. For me it comes down to maintenance. eg: the crank in mine was fine and the bearings were still looking healthy. Fuck knows why the old boy's one let go.

My brother has an FTE with about 520k on the clock, never opened. His mate has one at about 680k, also never opened. I think they are a proven good thing.

what are the EGT's like with no intercooler?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Thanks for that about the FTE's

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Quote Originally Posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
    what are the EGT's like with no intercooler?
    Ceramic coated hi-flowed CT26. 12psi wastegate. Redarc EGT guage. tapped into the centre of the manifold pre-turbo.
    Just cruising at 100kmh sits on 400deg. If you absolutely nail it the warning beeper will go off as it nudges 700 deg but comes back down right away.
    To me that says not enough fuel. Was told not to worry too much as its not driven on the limit. Also its only done a touch under 5,000km so far. Tune will come soon.
    Intercooler will be good to sort out but its not #1 on the list (doing my swivel hubs and diff build is).
    Quote Originally Posted by myliberty
    My car is a broken heap of shit too, so we have something in common.
    13's for $1300: RX4/929 nugget.

Had a catastrophic failure of the RHF inner wheel bearing. This led to loss of brakes, red hot grease fire and destruction of the CV.
    Frustrating because I had just about all the parts for a total front diff and brake rebuild except the CV's and was planning on doing this mid January.
    Now I have no choice but to get really stuck into it.

As the bus is a 1991 GXL it came with 15" rims. I bought the later model larger slotted and dimpled rotors and Brembo pads in preparation. Also got braided lines. Should pull up really nice. Contemplating installing an E-locker. Already have new CW&P, drive flanges, bearing kit, swivel kit. Big job and not really looking forward to it tbh.

Any brands of CV's to avoid? The hotness used to be HDK branded cv's. $180 each or $220 each for the greasable version.

Opens
    You will need the calipers to go with the bigger discs, if you dont already have them.

Quote Originally Posted by T T Celica View Post
    You will need the calipers to go with the bigger discs, if you dont already have them.
    Yep, already got them. The brake upgrade has been on the cards for ages. I reckon it's probably worth putting a seal kit through them at the very least if not a full reco.

I'm having trouble finding HDK cv's for the later 80's (as the spline area is longer). They advised 100/105 series have a different spline on the end to an 80. Looks like I'm going to get Terrain Tamer and be done with it.

I did get new spindles - the later type with roller bearing instead of a bronze bush. $60 ea. Obviously non-genuine.

Have cleaned up the spare hubs, knocked the cones out and packed the wheel bearings so those are ready to go. Next thing is to get the knuckles off and drop them off for a soak in the hot tank.

Opens
    Terrain tamers are fine. I did twist the CV /drive spline on one about 5 yrs ago, but backing a 3000kg caravan up an embankment puts a fair bit of strain on the pointy end of driveline bits. It was replaced under warranty too!! Definately rebuild the calipers, cheap piece of mind really

would definitely put some kind of locker or LSD in the front depending on if you have free wheel hubs or not, full time or part-time Transfer case?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Quote Originally Posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
    would definitely put some kind of locker or LSD in the front depending on if you have free wheel hubs or not, full time or part-time Transfer case?
    It's full time. I actually have a rebuilt Hilux LSD sitting here from another project and was told (by Terrain Tamer dude) not to use that in the front of the 80 as it will affect steering initially and then wear out real quick.
    Love to get the e-locker but I think the budget just won't stretch at the moment. I hardly drive off road anyway. Really just want to eliminate the classic driveline clunk.

Trutrack will be good in the front. I have one to go in my Rangie when I get the time and motivation.

a good torsen in there will do the job and you won't notice it at all under everyday driving.

applying a bit of brake pressure if you cock a wheel keeps you moving along.

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by aaron_hogan View Post
    If you absolutely nail it the warning beeper will go off as it nudges 700 deg but comes back down right away.
    To me that says not enough fuel. .
    High EGT is not enough air. feed it a bit more boost