Thread: HDJ80R Landcruiser 1HD-T rebuild:

is unplugging your matrix aaron_hogan's Avatar

HDJ80R Landcruiser 1HD-T rebuild:

Sigh, time to spend some money and re-build the 1hd-t in my factory turbo auto 80 series cruiser.

I've owned it since 2009. She had 275xxx on the clock and had never been off-roaded. I've just clocked 399,200 in it and the plan was always to remove it for a rebuild when I hit 400xxx.
    My dad ignored the 400 milestone in his one and it threw a rod at 426 so I'm hoping to escape this fate as rebuilding his cost me just short of $10k. Knowing this was coming I've been socking away a bit of cash and buying, or having reconditioned, various parts in anticipation.

It's been overheating (when pushed/towing) for a while and that was diagnosed as a cracked or warped head. Unfortunately for me it boiled pretty bad yesterday and I wasn't prepared to risk it on the drive home. After trickling in some water I fired it up and it was shaking badly. Eventually that cleared after a minute or so but I could hear a tick/tap that wasn't there before. She's coming home on a tilt-tray and I'll begin the strip down. Having done it before I know what I'm in for and not really looking forward to it. Everything is big, heavy and awkward. Although I did figure out a couple of things along the way that should make this go as smoothly as possible.

So far I had a fully reco'd head done, new harmonic balancers (including the A/C balancer pulley), water pump kit, belt kit, exhaust studs, and I've had all the spare engine brackets and thermostat housings hydro blasted.

Haven't 100% decided on who is doing the machine work this time but I'm leaning toward Paul Salvestrin from Riverina Cylinder Heads in Griffith. Pretty big drive from Melbourne but I've seen their work and he has a torque plate for honing 1hz/1hd which will make a difference. Definitely getting it balanced. No shortcuts on this build as I'm keeping the 80 forever. Also will be doing a rebuild on the pump. Not sure if I can stretch the budget to a 3" exhaust at this stage but being auto it's not like I can squeeze big power out of it anyway.

While it's off the road I'll try to plough through some other jobs like CV/Swivel rebuild, stereo install and fix up my Recaros.

Will try to snap some pics as I go.
    Last edited by aaron_hogan; 06-02-17 at 02:30 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by myliberty
    My car is a broken heap of shit too, so we have something in common.
    13's for $1300: RX4/929 nugget.

Pollitically incorrect
    I have a truck leaving here most days for wog lan... err Griffith if that helps
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Epic car and engines man... I miss mine...

Here's my rebuild thread, did most of the work (bar machining/cleaning) myself: http://www.performanceforums.com/for...HDJ80R-Project

Quote Originally Posted by nastysven View Post
    I have a truck leaving here most days for wog lan... err Griffith if that helps
    Wicked! Thanks mate. That is going to come in handy.

Being an auto, means you can put a $6k gearbox in it from wholesale automatics to support BULK power

+1 v12 twin turbo and 200 series 6speed AB60 auto and transfer case with torsen center diff

Make sure you don't forget to put the oil orifice in the block when you reassemble it. Bulk headaches if you forget it.. I didn't but a work mate did.

Opens
    Quote Originally Posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
    +1 v12 twin turbo and 200 series 6speed AB60 auto and transfer case with torsen center diff
    Now that would be a prick to get working! But it should be done, definately should be done. Have to flip the front diff too, 200 series transfer is a left drop/output
    Diseasel 80 series with 100 series

Okey doakey. Just about to kick this off. Had to spend most of the year driving a poxy AU wagon to save cash to do the job properly. Having been here done that with my old man's 1hdt I knew I'd need a solid chunk of cash to see it all through.

Quotes coming in from Riverina Heads tonight. He is moving the business to the Central Coast and on a short time frame so can only do the machine work, not the assembly.

Quote Originally Posted by T T Celica View Post
    Now that would be a prick to get working! But it should be done, definately should be done. Have to flip the front diff too, 200 series transfer is a left drop/output
    1GZ has a 6 speed auto option so should bolt together and run stock ecu...

rotate the transfer to line up the drive shaft...

Quote Originally Posted by aaron_hogan View Post
    Okey doakey. Just about to kick this off. Had to spend most of the year driving a poxy AU wagon to save cash to do the job properly. Having been here done that with my old man's 1hdt I knew I'd need a solid chunk of cash to see it all through.

Quotes coming in from Riverina Heads tonight. He is moving the business to the Central Coast and on a short time frame so can only do the machine work, not the assembly.
    4 valve head? 2,948.35 on amayama...

If you want another quote let me know. We could do machining and assembly if you wanna go that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

Machining quote $1800 including gst.

TOYOTA 1HDT 6 CYLINDER DIESEL
    CHEMICALLY CLEAN CYLINDER BLOCK HEAVY 1 110.00 GST 110.00
    CYLINDER BLOCK 1 65.00 GST 65.00
    REBORE&HONE 6 CYLINDER DIESEL/TORQUE PLATE 1 420.00 GST 420.00
    MILL CYLINDER BLOCK 6CYL. 1 155.00 GST 155.00
    CRANKSHAFT/PARTS/RODS 1 65.00 GST 65.00
    CHECK AND LINISH CRANKSHAFT HEAVY 1 145.00 GST 145.00
    CLOSE AND HONE CON RODS 6 35.00 GST 210.00
    FIT AND BORE PIN BUSHES(finished bushes) 6 25.00 GST 150.00
    BALANCE 6 CYLINDER INLINE 1 320.00 GST 320.00
    ENVIRO LEVY 1 4.00 GST 4.00

And now to chase down the required parts. Advised to use genuine Toyota pistons. "closest thing to a forged piston you can get". Approx $600 on their own. Aftermarket rebuild kit is about $1600.
    Last edited by aaron_hogan; 10-10-17 at 12:27 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Motherfucker Jones View Post
    If you want another quote let me know. We could do machining and assembly if you wanna go that way.
    Thanks MFJ. Will keep it in mind. The main reason I wanted Riverina Cylinder Heads to do it was because he had a torque plate.

Definitely use the genuine pistons and head gasket.

The big question...will it be making it to WA in 2019?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Pollitically incorrect
    we freight in and around the central coast too lol.
    .... because every driver experiences the destructive potential of the effortless surge of power available through the smallest of body movements.

Dr Hoon

DrNick is king!!!! No, Mark Webber is now! Long live the king!... hold on a minute mate, Ricci is in charge now

Draining my bank account flat out today. Ordered all parts (other than bearings) through SMS Diesel in Campbellfield.
    The OEM Toyota piston is made by ART. Toyota retail $434. Toyota trade $390. each. Aftermarket about $1100 the set. Went with the earlier smaller bowl pistons which are correct for my '91 cruiser despite many advising to use the later pistons and injector seat washers.

The rest of the kit uses Toyota's suppliers where possible. Headgasket is 5 notch Toyota. Getting dropped off to my workshop which is handy considering I'm stuck at a desk all week.

Intercooler intake adaptor just arrived in the mail. Pretty happy with it for $117 and getting here as quick as it did from China. Will have to order the core, hoses and some piping.

Marty - yes it will make it easy.

Paul - I owe you a Dan's gift card mate.

Rebuild kit arrived day after ordering it. $948.00 from SMS diesel spares in Campbellfield. I ordered the kit less bearings because the engine builder can supply them and I don't know if the crank will be std or undersize.

Drama's with having anywhere to remove the engine at this point and I need it out pronto.

Quote Originally Posted by aaron_hogan View Post
    Rebuild kit arrived day after ordering it. $948.00 from SMS diesel spares in Campbellfield. I ordered the kit less bearings because the engine builder can supply them and I don't know if the crank will be std or undersize.

Drama's with having anywhere to remove the engine at this point and I need it out pronto.
    Few pics.

Sent from my VTR-L29 using Tapatalk

Why not try crankshaft rebuilders in Blackburn they arent too bad price wise. Happy to take shit there or pickup

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Dave, have you uploaded the data from the carby?

Quote Originally Posted by Dogsballs View Post
    Why not try crankshaft rebuilders in Blackburn they arent too bad price wise. Happy to take shit there or pickup

Sent from my Nexus 6 using Tapatalk
    CSR have a good reputation. I contacted them for a quote when I rebuilt dad's 1hdt. Unfortunately they weren't specific enough and just threw a ball-park number at me. It's one of the things that I find really frustrating because I go to the effort of listing the various machining processes that I want performed. It's the only way to genuinely compare quotes to see what work they are undertaking and what the rates are for each service performed.

But the main issue is that I want the block torque-plate honed. No shop in Vic has the torque plate that I know of. (Although Paul at Riverina Cylinder Heads said he is going to make a few and hire them out).

My main concern at this point is getting the motor out in time for Paul to do the machine work before he shuts shop and relocates. Clock is ticking and I'm getting nervous. For once cash is not a problem though.

why the hell is that ring set so expensive?
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    the theory is the fuel pump is one of the only things that can fuck out on a diesel

Quote Originally Posted by TRD-MX62 View Post
    why the hell is that ring set so expensive?
    On the Toyota price quote... the parts guy had a brain fart and entered "6x" instead of "1x" - there are a set of six rings in a pack. But still at $700 odd for a set of rings it's a fucking joke. They are NPR rings anyway which is what I've got in the rebuild kit.