Thread: Fat Bastard on a Supersport

Fat Bastard on a Supersport

Im 5ft 8", and 123kg... and itching at the thought of an 07/08 r6 as my next bike.

If im brutally honest, 99% of its use will be a 25min commute to/from work, the rest just staring at it. We will hopefully get a track here in the next year or 3, but thats still pipe dreams.

Experience wise, i grew up with dirtbikes, and spent a couple of years with my Triumph Bonneville, but tbh i wasn't home often enough to say it got lots of use. I did however get used to it enough to notice the lack of power.

I have a 250 at the moment but its not on the road yet, so in reality i haven't ridden regularly in about 3 years.

Is this the dumbest idea imaginable? I'm well aware that im buying a bike completely unsuitable for its intended use, but i fucking want one, and to me thats a damn good reason to justify something as selfish as a bike.

tldr; im short, fat, and out of practice. will an r6 be a miserable experience?
    '68 HK Holden Ute
    '67 Volkswagen Beetle 1300cc
    '06 VE SS

Quote Originally Posted by Scrad
    You are like some sort of car rapist, Sticking things where they don't belong, and often don't fit nicely

yes you wont be able to comfortably ride it if your guts are resting on the tank

get a naked bike

Quote Originally Posted by Crais View Post

tldr; im short, fat, and out of practice. will an r6 be a miserable experience?
    Try one.
    Modern sports bikes seem to be built for midget gymnasts.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I have a mate who is a lot taller and heavier than you, and he rode the same model R6 for a couple of years. The suspension was a bit soft obviously, but he got around on it pretty damn well.

Opens
    I'd ride one for at least half hour to see if it's comfy. I'm a fit guy but not moto fit so sportsbike didn't work for me. Naked better option.

there actually happens to be an 06 in the exact colour scheme i want at the local dealer, might head down and see if i can get a test ride tommorow
    '68 HK Holden Ute
    '06 VE SS

You are like some sort of car rapist, Sticking things where they don't belong, and often don't fit nicely

My mate at work commutes daily on an 09 gsxr 1000
    He's 5'11" and 120kg
    In saying that though gsxrs are comfy as for a supersport

Temporary Australian Rorz de Puniet's Avatar
    Sportbike is actually perfect for a 25 min commute although on an R1 or similar it'll be more like 14 mins.

Most of the Jap litre bikes are pretty comfy. Ducatis and Aprilias aren't. Some are reasonably high, you may struggle to get your feet flat on some of the taller bikes. Your weight will help compress the suspension a little though.

In saying that, if you do get something... get a suspension guru change the springs out for something heavier so you still get optimal sag and normal suspension behaviour (no bottoming out etc).

Will you die? Well... bikes are only as fast as you want them to be. An R1 doesn't pull the throttle on for you... it does offer eleventy times the performance of anything you've ridden though. So look, yes you might die. But have you ever truly lived? You're about to.
    Randy De Puniet has had more crashes than any other rider in the history of Grand Prix motorcycle racing.

@ 170cm tall & 120kg I found my old GSXR unbelievably uncomfortable to ride as a commuter massive scary fun out on the motorway though.

Last edited by Fondles; 15-02-17 at 05:47 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    Fondles, you come across as a thoroughly repugnant cunt with appalling social skills.

yeah looking at 90s sport tourers instead now, vfr750f & gsx750f..any others i should be looking at? 3 - 4k budget
    '68 HK Holden Ute
    '06 VE SS

Rf900? Apparently quite nice as a tourer

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily/Hills: 1992 Honda Civic EG hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

Quote Originally Posted by da9jeff View Post
    Rf900? Apparently quite nice as a tourer

RF900s are excellent
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

I bought one but only to pull apart and stuff the donk into this:

Tow car/camping bus: 2011 D40 Navara ST

Daily/Hills: 1992 Honda Civic EG hatch

Baby mobile: 2016 Nissan Qashqai

75 Mini Clubman club racer - DCOE powah

900 is getting up there for power for a bloke who's most powerful bike was a bonneville 790 though isnt it?
    '68 HK Holden Ute
    '06 VE SS

I jumped from riding a shitbox Ninja 300 to a GSXR1000. Watch the right had wrist and you will be ok

Quote Originally Posted by Crais View Post
    900 is getting up there for power for a bloke who's most powerful bike was a bonneville 790 though isnt it?
    they only go as fast as you twist the throttle.

I've found the supersports to be easier to lane split on.

I'd prefer to have one with ABS. If you're never going to use it for fun, and just traffic the 600cc would be tops - but if you're even remotely going to ride for the sake of riding - get a litre bike.

Ps. +1 on the Aprilia. I'm 5ft 11 (110kg) and almost on tippy toes... Ducati not much better, but the Ninja's are very very low.
    Panzer Wagen

M-Cars follow the idea that power should be felt & not seen

Sold the Kingswood ute, paid $2200 for an sv650s with rwc and 4 months rego, immediately ordered a lower faring kit, paid the rest off my credit card. Happy days.
    '68 HK Holden Ute
    '06 VE SS