Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: 13's for $1300 Crimson Tide

Registered User Panda I give no fuck's Avatar

13's for $1300 Crimson Tide

Yes, another red Mang Commo and yes 7 years too late. This is a challenge I really wanted to do at the time and will incorporate some other things I've always wanted to play around with.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	calais.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	248.6 KB 
ID:	98134

So most of this build is going to be a repeat of Vn of Fury and the red streak but with a distasteful difference.

Will go as followed:
    Diet
    Ghetto Turbo setup, possibly with ebay t70?
    More Diet
    minispool
    and if funds permit and bargains are found, (in no particular order) diff gears, different torque converter (pending turbo selected), shift kit, those nuts that hang from tow bar and flap about.
    I intend to leave motor completely stock with potential exception to spark plug selection and coils.

On to the distasteful difference that is going make you angry. Instead of running additional injectors or modifying the the existing injection setup. I intend to add a draw through carb setup running on a ethanol/water mix between 80-95% ethanol. Before you change my username or lynch mob me, let me further dig this hole for myself.

Get a 4 barrel vac secondary Holley between say 500 and 750cfm. remove butterflies, accelerator pump and block off idle circuit with the intention that when car is idling It is running purely on 98 octane via regular means, under load and before boost it runs almost entirely on 98 octane through the injectors. then on boost, the amount of additional alcohol introduced rises as boost rises and the duty of the injectors tapers off. I intend to make this work by having a 1inch threaded fitting on pipework between carby and turbo. in this fitting will be screwed say a brass bung. tuning will be achieved by the size of a "carby bypass hole" in bung, carby jet sizing and ratio of water to ethanol. (Bypass hole Idea may have to be binned for something variable or may not be needed at all)

the main reason I want to do this is purely because it is rediculous, I want to play with ethanol and for the fuck of it but here are a few advantages I see.
    Idle and warm up, car would run as if stock
    As boost goes up. Need for retarding timing is negated by higher amounts of alcohol which would generally require Advanced timing
    actually that is all I have....

would like to also invest in monitoring AFR via wideband, this is expensive so going to look for an OBD2 OEM computer off something junk and retrofit to monitor via blue tooth when tuning and record during passes.|

This is probs just going to end in a dead piston or lack of power under boost but if it works it will be glorious. let the hate rain
    Quote Originally Posted by E-Z View Post
    If TK told me to close my eyes and bend over, I would.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    How much did you pay for the VN Calais? Shirley that would have eaten up half the budget already?
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    How much did you pay for the VN Calais? Shirley that would have eaten up half the budget already?
    Lol forgot that bit. $300 unfortunately. so got a grand left to play with

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Diet, more diet but keeping towbar?
    1jz Rolla Van ....... 10.5 at 134mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Cool, would love to see 13s for 1300 take off again

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Diet, more diet but keeping towbar?
    can't let the nuts drag on the ground

Takes a lot of trim removal/Sheetmetal cutting to lose the weight of a towbar

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

I should of used italics for townuts part and my reply. don't stress, tow bar is going on gumtree tomorrow.

Such excite.

NOTF3AR3D should give you caprice for 5l donation for this
    BF XR6 Turbo - 2L Turbo TE - 75 TX Coupe

- PSN: rotacoupe

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

Looks like vp. IRS?

Look like fake walkies..sell to buy turbo

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbo-Tur...sAAOSwUsJYWKHs

How bow Dah
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

Are they 15 x 7's?

Quote Originally Posted by gtrboyy View Post
    Looks like vp. IRS?

Look like fake walkies..sell to buy turbo

http://www.ebay.com.au/itm/Turbo-Tur...sAAOSwUsJYWKHs

How bow Dah
    Unfortunately yes is IRS. I never knew any VP had it and shook hands and exchanged cash. got her on trailer and went to throw strap around diff and "wait what is going on here". I would have bought it anyway. I had basically resigned to going ecotec and heavier commos by time I found this.

also, selling the ROHs to restock the fund is against the rules I suspect. Will try gumtreeing most the shit anyway to fund the beer required to see this through.

The rules committee disbanded when Facebook became a thing

All good just means leave standard height or tad higher so when under power contact patch stays flat...also means careful with wheel offsets cant go as big or use same offset.

Look out for vt-x or whatever they are manual 3.46 diff is good conversion,minor mods less stuffing around. Always wondered if change diff quicker drilling holes in boot for access haha

Should get decent coin back if interior parts still good..stripped a few of these for interior parts

I think sell shit off a car should be + or - to tally of car,anything you sell will be spent back on it (car economics)
    Last edited by gtrboyy; 22-02-17 at 09:43 PM.
    an easy fix is get a mate to drive in front of you at 60 then 80 then 100 and mark in on your speedo with some liquid paper.

not like there is a wooden cock up for grabs anymore, but still would like to keep true to the original comp. Would also like to see this bring on 1 or 2 competitors.

Wannabe internet expert
    Great to see someone doing this again. I wouldn't jump straight to eBay personally. Flatbrim sales seems to bring up the occasional good deal on a factory unit out of an xr6, skyline or the likes. Would be ideal to find one that doesn't have 20 metres of shaft play.

Don't 4:11 Pintara diff gears fit in these borgies? They aren't exactly falling from the trees, but you should be able to pick up a set pretty cheap. Would be a decent bang for buck mod me thinks.

Faark makes me want to get involved...unfortunately the 31 I was going to enter is providing its transmission for another car :/
    Last edited by Rthirty1; 22-02-17 at 10:03 PM.

yep, they do go in but got to get hold of them haha.

Just do it son, I need an enemy. get the tranny elsewhere

4.1s are a bit keen for a turbo car.

Why not use the carby for the throttle body instead of removing butterfly's and such? That way it would work as intended. You'd just need to mount the tps on the carb
    Quote Originally Posted by RVK 355 View Post
    Hold it flat cunt

puts the throttle body on the wrong side of the turbo, would finger seals on turbo, blow off setup harder to get my head around, means making an elaborate accelerator cable, moving vacuum lines, fucks my carby bypass idea and i cant see any real reason for it

As far as I know running fuel through the turbo is generally what fucks the seals. But being a hand grenade I wouldn't stress about that shit.

It would actually make your lean out/bypass valve a lot more effective if it was pulling against a higher vacuum. You wouldn't need a blow off valve because throttle is pre turbo (not sure running one would be a good idea anyway if there's fuel in the intake piping because you'll be venting raw fuel to atmosphere)

Cables and vac lines seem like easy things to figure out in the scheme of things. If you mount the turbo + carb on top of the intake it will all be pretty close anyway

I'm not trying to point the "you're a fuckwit!!!" finger I'm just sharing my thoughts on what might work better.

I've been keen to build a $1300 shitter for awhile too but it's hard to justify the time when I have other shit to work on
    Hold it flat cunt

Cheers, will ponder over what you are saying while I rip the interior out.

Keen to see how this works out.
    Don't bother changing diff gears. Use any money left over for converter of any kind.
    Definitely look at shift kit/corvette servo. Otherwise the gearbag going bang will bring many sad faces.
    Would be good to see the fire hose throttle body approach.

cool to see someone else having a crack.

Thanks for input tuffvq. I mostly have no fucking idea what I am doing when it comes to anything involving turbo.

Now officially race car.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	received_10154990662408006.jpeg 
Views:	26 
Size:	198.7 KB 
ID:	98138

Check chat re-converter I may be able to help with such things.

This is obviously assuming all your AUX outputs are doing something. Ie idle control, and the other does water spray, and the other updates your Instagram automatically etc.

+7 to converter over diff gears.

Don't forget to chop the intrusion bar out of that door!
    Hold it flat cunt

Love it!! Keep thinking a separate E85 fuel circuit driven by a $400 Microsquirt computer to enrich for boost might be easier.

https://www.diyautotune.com/product/...iring-harness/

Tuning with a wideband may be hard as required AF ratio will change as % methanol/ethanol goes up I believe? And given your system, the more boost, the higher the methanol/ethanol %

Anyway, I love it, and will wait for the joyous day when the rods are released from deep within the moomang's block. Carry on good sir!
    Last edited by Greasystick; 23-02-17 at 01:14 PM.

Yeah stay with 3.08 gears not far off 3.45 most people use anyway...just lock centre up though

No idea on turbo shit either reckon just turn boost up or change tyre size untill it right....

If you blow the auto,learn how to rebuild them so can send you mine haha

Quote Originally Posted by gtrboyy View Post
    Yeah stay with 3.08 gears not far off 3.45 most people use anyway...just lock centre up though

No idea on turbo shit either reckon just turn boost up or change tyre size untill it right....

If you blow the auto,learn how to rebuild them so can send you mine haha
    It would almost be cheaper to just buy another 6 cylinder Vn/vp/vr/vs to get the gearbox out of.

Could run an old xr6t turbo on it. That'd be sufficient.

AAcccttuaalllly Lee some shit cunt on the local buy swap sell is selling a buick turbo kit. Hasn't sold should I low ball?

Elkin should buy it but anwyay

I still think you need to lose as much weight as possible out of the thing. Like eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeverywhere possible. Like, everywhere. Cut the boot floor between the chassis rails and replace with plastic/fibreglass ala VE/VF Commodore. Fuel tank is a heavy bastard plus youll need a seperate tank for the E85 bit of things anyway; i reckon get two boat fuel tanks, mount them high enough so they gravity feed two external pumps. Something like this http://www.bcf.com.au/Product/Fuel-T...L-Gauge/115247 and mount em in the boot on the hump over the diff, then just mount the pumps lower down on the boot floor so it gravity feeds.

Are donations still allowed?

If so. Ill donate 50mm external waste gate, an old 044 pump and an old 030. Bumpers were new when i bought them but have sat on the shelf for 4yrs so could be rooted...who knows, i dont know nor care. Try if they work if they dont bin em. Ive also got a shitty cheap tacho with inbuilt shift light lieing around somewhere too if you want that.