Thread: 2002 BMW e46 M3

2002 BMW e46 M3

Give this a go on PF before having to deal with Carsales or Gumtree randoms.

2002 model, with just under 194 000 KM. I'm the third owner.

It's in reasonable condition, but bearing in mind it is now a 15 year old car, it's not perfect:
    - The 18 inch wheels have some gutter rash.
    - There are three little dents on the left rear quarter panel and a couple of touch up marks here and there at the rear. But the paint is in pretty good nick generally and shines up well with a wash.
    - The left door tweeter has a broken connection so only has sound of out the woofer on that side (I could have kicked myself when I broke that taking the door panel off FFS). Use that as an excuse to upgrade to Bavsound speakers.
    - The driver's side mirror mount has that bubbling thing going on that apparently is common with E46s.
    - The driver's seat is fairly worn on the bolsters.
    - And unfortunately there is a little bit of rust (under the paint) at the base of the a-pillar.

Just had the windscreen replaced. The SMG pump was replaced a couple of years ago. There are no visible cracks in the rear subframe. Car is stock.

Apart from the wear on the driver's seat, the interior is in pretty good condition. Front plastic trim is wrapped in 3M vinyl, plastic chrome is brushed, aftermarket flappy paddles. Aircon is fine, sunroof is fine. Other than the non-working speaker and a couple of dead pixels on the head unit screen, the stereo is fine. The Street Guardian dashcam can go with it. Might even throw in the CSL style rear diffuser I've got, it's not a perfect fit so still needs some massaging, but looks okay from a distance ha. And still have the Euro front plate mount too. Has black kidney grill inserts and fender grills.

Has 6 months rego.

It drives fine though and is a nice car. Wish I didn't have to sell it, but unfortunately I need the money at the moment.
    Last edited by Monk; 10-04-17 at 07:36 PM.

If you can't sell it and need to be fisted, you know where to find me
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    Just buy it you gaylord.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Shit, didnt realise you had one of these!

Awesome man!

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    Nice. Why all the good deals when your broke fucking...
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Just buy it you gaylord.
    Do it. Do it.

Quote Originally Posted by 50RTD View Post
    Shit, didnt realise you had one of these!

Awesome man!
    Not for much longer.

Oh yeah, I've had it for a bit over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Just buy it you gaylord.
    Looking at a 335i in the morning.

I'll probably have a look at this too. Keep reading that SMG2 was actually pretty decent on these.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

Looking at a 335i in the morning.

I'll probably have a look at this too. Keep reading that SMG2 was actually pretty decent on these.
    It's not too bad when you're having a bit of fun, although it's no DCT (not that I've driven one of those).

I have the e46 M3 with smg2. I think it's brilliant. I've put the csl shift tune in which makes it even better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius123 View Post
    Performance Forums, where our two best threads are a man stabbing a lawn mower and a lawn mower stabbing a man

Quote Originally Posted by old_geez View Post
    I have the e46 M3 with smg2. I think it's brilliant. I've put the csl shift tune in which makes it even better.
    Yeah, a TTFS tune for the SMG was one of the things on my wish list, which is basically the same thing as the CSL tune I think.

Did it make much of a difference in start stop traffic? The blip on downshift would be nice.

98.5% sure I fixed the oil leak. Looking good so far. In which case, it's now a pretty damn good price I reckon.

Oil leak is fixed, splash tray is clean. Turned out to be a loose bolt hiding behind something else.

And just put another 6 months rego on it.

Quote Originally Posted by Monk View Post
    Yeah, a TTFS tune for the SMG was one of the things on my wish list, which is basically the same thing as the CSL tune I think.

Did it make much of a difference in start stop traffic? The blip on downshift would be nice.
    Yep. Great in traffic. You learn to drive it so it doesn't slip the clutch in traffic.
    Blips nearly all the time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius123 View Post
    Performance Forums, where our two best threads are a man stabbing a lawn mower and a lawn mower stabbing a man

Has Cal bought this yet???

Quote Originally Posted by PXL265 View Post
    Has Cal bought this yet???
    No, because Cal bought an E36 M3 yesterday.

Nice!

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    Nice!
    You guys can paint 1 on the side of one, and 2 on the side of the other and paddock race them. it'll be awesome.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Very nice, so it's like the castle but using go jacks to get the cars around.....

"can you move the Porsche so I can move the Jag to get tto the mini so we can move the speedster to get the M3 out"

Sort of, but I've moved the two MX5's off site now, so it's all manageable.

So the young blokes machine out of temptation's way or you just don't want the property values to drop????

I was driving it a bit, until heat wave. But now I need space, so it can live at work for a while.

Back on topic. I looked at Monk's E46 last weekend and it's a nice example of the breed. My decision to buy the E36 was not really vs this car. It was an opportunity I'd been working on for months and it will be a toy. When I looked at the E46 I was considering it as a daily.

E46, one of the most timeless bmw shapes ever made. Is sex, would buy if had money.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gussy View Post
    It's the PF way. "Put a twin turbo LS in it brah, you'll have it converted and running in 2.5 hours and make an eazy 1000rwkw, lulz" All while the same people who suggest this stuff drive around in a corolla and have a fucked VN sitting in the garage for the past 3 years as a "project car."

Sensei Cobra
    Free bump. Had a drive of this car today. Despite the little things Monk points out, overall the car presents incredibly well, and at the asking price appears a huge bargain.

Was my first experience in an SMG and I have to say I was pleasantly surprised.

Going to be good buying for someone in the market right now!

When do you pick it up?

I googled what was involved in making this a manual seeing as though it uses the same gearbox. I figured you'd need a gearstick and a clutch pedal....um no. Around 50 parts required. Feck.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk

What's a supercharger kit for these worth? Shirley that would be the best $30k you'd ever spend?
    DJ's don't need sigs

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    I googled what was involved in making this a manual seeing as though it uses the same gearbox. I figured you'd need a gearstick and a clutch pedal....um no. Around 50 parts required. Feck.

New SMG pump is about $5k to $6k if (when?) it shits itself. Manual conversion is similar. Wait until SMG dies and then do the conversion....

Yeah theres that. Was more an observation that theres a heap involved compared to what i woukd have assumed.

Yeah even though it's the same trans underneath and inside, you really need the proper manual box. Certainly feasible though and has been done quite a few times.