Page 1 of 9 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW

Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

I couldn't find a general discussion thread on electric cars in general... although there's a few threads on the Teslas...

I came across this industry website, https://myelectriccar.com.au/ and was surprised to see more full electric vehicles than I was aware of.

Tesla (obviously)
    Nissan LEAF & e-NV200
    BMW i3
    Merc B Class
    Mitsubishi i-MiEV
    Ford Focus Electric
    Renault ZOE
    Hyundai Ionic Electric
    Chev Bolt, Chev Spark
    VW Electric Golf and e-Up
    Kia Soul EV
    Mahindra E20
    Sunswift eVe

I'm sure half of the cars listed on that site aren't even for sale here...

Interesting they have an interactive map of all the known charging stations as well https://myelectriccar.com.au/charge-...-in-australia/

Obviously the charging infrastructure is the hot topic... which brings me on to the next electric model which is on the way...

https://www.jaguarmagazine.com/six-p...-motor-com-au/

Six Australians have already paid deposits for the Jaguar I-PACE electric SUV, even though the production version has yet to be unveiled and won’t go on sale in Australia until the middle of 2018. Three of those orders belong to readers of Jaguar Magazine and have been placed on the Gold Coast in Queensland!

They also don’t know the full price they will be paying for Jaguar Land Rover’s first battery-electric vehicle, although they can expect no change from $120,000 before on-road costs.

That’s the figure JLRA managing director Matthew Wiesner nominated to motoring.com.au as a “there or thereabouts” guide to the starting point for I-PACE pricing. That makes sense considering it will compete directly against the Tesla Model X, which starts at $122,810 but climbs beyond $200K for the top-spec P100D.

The I-PACE concept broke cover at the Los Angeles motor show last November and has since been spotted undergoing on-road testing.

While having interest so far out in the five-seat crossover with a claimed singe-charge range up to 500km is a positive, Wiesner made it clear JLRA was still very much in the planning stages for its arrival.

The company has hired a staffer from Tesla Motors Australia and established an internal six-member working committee in mid-2016 to work through the myriad issues related to launching an electric vehicle in Australia. The I-PACE will also be the first of a series of EVs from JLRA, as well as plug-in hybrids.

That committee has extensively researched the Tesla experience and one conclusion JLRA has already drawn is it is unlikely to offer free fast-charging to I-PACE buyers.

Tesla had offered free use of its fast-chargers to customers for life, but changed that to around 1600km for new buyers of Model S and Model X from last January. Free recharging was never part of the package for the forthcoming smaller and cheaper Model 3.

“They (Tesla) had issues with people just driving up to dealerships around the place and plugging in and doing all sorts of things which caused all sorts of challenges,” Wiesner explained.

“They ended up paying for everyone’s fuel and it might have been a nice introduction to launch the product but they can’t keep doing that otherwise they will have cars coming in and sitting around the place for way too long.”

Wiesner also confirmed I-PACE will be available through much of the JLRA dealer network because it is the first model in a sustained roll-out of alternate energy vehicles rather than an isolated one-off.

“There will be instances where dealers have to make an investment and it’s important for them to understand the longer term and make sure they understand it’s not just a short-term idea.

“It is very much about the first steps into what is going to be. In my view, it is another drivetrain we are introducing into the network; it’s not just the full-EV — eventually there will be plug-in hybrid and whatever else it might be.

“So you have to give it the uniqueness that it is due in regard to the technology, but you also have to be mindful that you don’t try and over dial it from that point because at the end of the day it’s another drivetrain amongst diesel, petrol and what have you.”

The natural competitiveness between rival dealers is also a factor Wiesner admitted.

“What do you do if you have a dealer in Brisbane and not on the Gold Coast yet there might be more activity on the Gold Coast? Quite frankly, trying to get dealers to co-operate and pass on their prospects who also buy other cars is not necessarily an easy thing to do.”

Issues JLRA’s EV committee is currently dealing with include the infrastructure and training the dealer network will require to handle the I-PACE; state and federal government policy on alternative energy vehicles; the development of charging networks around the country and the type of recharging kits that will be required at buyers’ homes.

“As we head into the next phase of this development [we need to make sure] that people actually have the confidence to go from here to there and stay overnight … and have the ability to be able to plug these things in and have the confidence to use these things in their normal everyday life.”

Wiesner also confirmed that JLRA was in discussion with its fellow luxury brands to reach an agreement on common plugs and other aspects of charging.

We don’t want the crazy situation where BMW, us, Benz and Audi all have different charging plugs, or whatever it might be,” he said. “It’s good that everyone is talking.
    Heh, common sense seems to be prevailing on the charging infrastructure!

EDIT bits in bold from me.
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Hi Rob !!!! :P

Who's Rob?

Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Who's Rob?
    He's a dentist, so we can't show his face on television...

Quote Originally Posted by Greasystick View Post
    Ah ok...

Honestly i'm surprised at the number of charging stations on the map, i've heard some people bang on about "no infrastructure for electric cars" but it looks way better than the naysayers make it out to be...

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen Shot 02-27-17 at 04.30 PM.JPG 
Views:	87 
Size:	342.7 KB 
ID:	98202

BMW i8

I wouldn't say that map is exactly teaming with them though. I zoom in to a fairly wide map of Brisbane and it says there are 34. I wouldn't call that a lot and I might remember seeing them once or twice ever.

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Rob Schneider Electric?

Do most EV's come with an inbuilt chargers or is that an extra you need to install at home and at work?
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

You left out Maclaren P1 and Porsche 918

Not my list

The list is of electric-only, not hybrids.

I didn't included La Ferrari as is technically not an electric vehicle. Personally P1 for me.
    Last edited by MZ21; 27-02-17 at 03:20 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by BreaksMyWallet View Post
    The list is of electric-only, not hybrids.
    Really, then why is i8 and Chevy Volt in that list. Both have IC engines. Please don't get caught up in semantics about what drives the wheels. P1 and 918 can driven in pure leccy mode.

Chevy Volt is all electric. An i8 isn't on the list (I said it should be) but the i3 has a petrol range extender option.

Might want to read this then

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chevrolet_Volt

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Who's Rob?
    You don't watch MCM??

Quote Originally Posted by Southo View Post
    You don't watch MCM??
    I do but i don't memorize every word spoken during the show...

i have a volt

its not really a hybrid, even though it technically is a PHEV

but you never need to use fuel if you dont drive beyond the ev range

ive done 5000km on less than half a tank in the last 6 months as ive made a country trip from Melbourne to Mansfield and beyond and ballarat

daily i use its always EV

unlike some of the other PHEVS its a fully capable EV in EV mode, its not slow or handicapped compared to running in range extender mode, this is my 2nd Volt, ive done 15000km and averaged 0.8L/100km as I've done a number of long country trips

its a really good car considering it was first sold back in 2010 in the USA, GM over engineered the crap out of them and unlike the Leaf they dont suffer battery degradation

theres a ton of plug ins now from AUDI BMW Mercedes and Volvo, they look like normal cars, like the GLE plug in merc 2 ton suv that gets silly economy but still does 0-100km/h in the 5sec range
    Last edited by MexicanBatman; 27-02-17 at 03:55 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanBatman View Post
    i have a volt

its not really a hybrid, even though it technically is a PHEV

but you never need to use fuel if you dont drive beyond the ev range
    I'm being a smart arse, but this exactly how the P1 and 918 works. They are also PHEV vehicles. LeFerrari not so much.

You never need to use fuel if you don't drive them beyond their EV range (10 and 19 KM respectively).

Totally badass eco friendly shopping trolley!

Quote Originally Posted by MexicanBatman View Post
    i have a volt
    unlike some of the other PHEVS its a fully capable EV in EV mode, its not slow or handicapped compared to running in range extender mode, this is my 2nd Volt, ive done 15000km and averaged 0.8L/100km as I've done a number of long country trips
    Man I wish we'd get the Ampera versions of these. Looks way cooler than the Chevy version. I know it the same under the covers, but looks cooler:

Last edited by MZ21; 27-02-17 at 04:20 PM.

Can you charge them without fuel?

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
    1998 BT1 Sedan. RB30 plus baby seat
    Quote Originally Posted by Mr Ed View Post
    Anything with Fukushima in the title is bound to be great click bait.

i reckon the Ampera front looks like arse, but the arse looks great!

mine was out of fuel for 2 months, filled up cos i was sick of the warning every time i started it saying you are out of fuel cunt...

Just charge and drive

from the wiki

"The Volt operates as a pure battery electric vehicle until its battery capacity drops to a predetermined threshold from full charge"

Im guessing those green arrows on the map are caravan parks
    Quote Originally Posted by oioioioioi View Post
    how about you go buy a kilo of sausages you lazy fuck, and then fucking count them

Quote Originally Posted by Greasystick View Post
    ha ha - must be old - i remember those adds on TV

Supraholic
    Always wondered about how electric cars will change everything.

What will happen to the cars we now consider iconic in 50 years? Will we have to make petrol in a lab to be able to run them or will they sit there collecting dust being museum pieces?

Also wondered, what options may pop up to retrofit into older vehicles. I've got a long term restoration project being an XA Sedan, want to chuck Typhoon gear in it... the reality is it's so far away though that by the time that happens I could possibly look at putting Tesla running gear in it instead?

There were demo Nissan leafs last year as cheap as 25K. Not bad for commuting to work and back etc.

there used to be a joint in castlemaine converting IC cars to electric. anyone know if they are around still?

would own electric car if it was packaged in something cool. do not want tupperware.
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

2nd Hand 1st gen Volt - good City car

New Smart E car (3rd gen) - perfect city car (private import new example from 2018 on?)

Chevy Bolt - getting rave reviews. Good car and it seems to be putting frighteners on the upcoming Tesla 3(E?) series. I'd have one.

Give me an efficient way of charging the batteries (solar to storage batteries at home?) and I'd be all over an electric. Some of the charging stations on the map are at car dealerships. As Richard Porter said the trick is to jump in when the technology has been proved but there are not too many cunts queuing up to use the not-plentiful charging stations.

Mexican Batman -
    The Volt will fire up the engine every 3 or 6 months if it has only run on electric during that time right?
    Have you upgraded from eco tyres to more grippy ones and has that adversely affected the economy?
    Have you made up a parcel shelf for the back hatch?
    Does the low slung aero slipperyness and low hanging spoiler snag much on driveways, gutters, etc?
    Last edited by Smudge; 27-02-17 at 06:17 PM.
    He jerked off with the determination of someone within sight of Everest’s summit, having lost all his friends and Sherpas, having run out of supplemental oxygen, but preferring death to failure.

Quote Originally Posted by MZ21 View Post
    Really, then why is i8 and Chevy Volt in that list. Both have IC engines. Please don't get caught up in semantics about what drives the wheels. P1 and 918 can driven in pure leccy mode.
    It doesn't say Volt It says Chevy Bolt.

i3 without range extender is pure electric

GM offered a retrofit front airdam that wasn't as deep to customers who wanted it in the US. The original deeper piece was easily damaged on poor roads, the irony that a car from Detroit couldn't safely drive around the city without damage wasn't lost on anyone.

Engine has a few scenarios where it will run

Fuel maintenance mode, every 12 months it will drain the tank if fuel isn't consumed. To prevent this drive in range extender mode and top up tank

Also the there is engine maintenance mode, the engine will run for a short period of time to get up to operating temp, this is to prolong the life of the oil etc... it can be deferred or you can let it run as you drive, it takes about 5 min and usually uses 130ml-300ml of fuel, had the message for fuel maintenance mode once but put a few L of fuel in it and it went away, had engine maintenance mode 3 times in 20k but it won't run if there's zero fuel in it

In really really cold climates there's erdtt, engine run due to temperature (not cold enough in Aus) engine will run to heat battery

I leave mine plugged in all the time, when it's really hot I'll go outside and every now and then you'll hear the fans come on to cool the battery, it's kept inside a narrow temperature range for longevity, some say more thought went into it than tesla

GM ev's Volt included have some features tesla do not such as full regen ability even on a fully charged battery and blended brakes, regen and braking through the brake pedal

The front lip is rubber it rubs on everything! There's a shorter one available which I had on the last one I owned, it almost never rubs, but I'm used to it and it doesn't bother me, I prefer the standard rubber

Tyres were Michelin energy saver

They are rubbish

I swapped them for primacy 3 st, the wet performance is significantly better, range is about 1-2Km less when new but restores as the tyres wear

surprisingly it's not that aerodynamic 0.28 vs Prius 0.26 and model S 0.24

Can you add the Mitsubishi Outlander PHEV to the list. Can be driven 100% electric if my memory serves me correct.
    1969 Datsun 1000 Sedan
    1989 1.6l Daihatsu Charade

Life For me Has it's UP'S and DOWN'S........ I fix ELEVATORS