Page 8 of 12 FirstFirst ... 456789101112 LastLast

Thread: Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Quote Originally Posted by Gary2JZ View Post
    In 12ish years most of the companies that build our cars now probably won't have IC engine cars. Is Australia ready for that migration?
    Not really they will go hybrid first then electric but even then there is so much infrastructure that needs to be built it will take some time..

Quote Originally Posted by The Pupat View Post
    After having to rebuild the carbie on my old bike due to it not being ridden enough I'd agree.
    I'm hearing ya, having just bought a Bike that had sat more than it had been riden, service and main jet replaced so allgood, just put a newish pipe on and another jet ordered, a mate will help with the tuning. Shoulda bought a fuel Injected bike

an electric trail bike will be a no brainer for me in 5 or 6 yrs

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by bg0013 View Post
    the spread of the charging infrastructure will be the interesting thing to watch.
    I mentioned it before in other Electric Car threads, the manufacturers need to collaborate and come up with a standard for charging equipment.

The plug/socket, supply voltage, current management, etc, until they become a standard you're going to have to build far more infrastructure than what would be needed otherwise.

Porsche has started a pissing contest with Tesla with their 800V charging system vs. Tesla's 400V system. That's great guys, so your Porsche can't be charged at a Tesla station and vice-versa?

A petrol car can pull into any servo anywhere in the world and the pump nozzle fits in the filler, and unless you've got something highly-strung it won't make fuckall difference if you fill it with 91, 94, 95, 98, etc. nor are you restricted to one brand of fuel, Shell, BP, Esso, whoever, you pull in and fill up and drive off again.

They need the same convenience with electrics,
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

I think that's how the existing car companies will try and leapfrog Tesla.

If Porsche, VAG, BMW and MB can agree on a standard, they'll have a gigantic market share to dominate Tesla even though they've had a massive head start.

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    ^ I’m with Gats. They sold them in 2012 & 2013 ... in car sales terms, over 2 years, 4 ~= 260 == “so few nobody noticed”.
    Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    Great success! Less than 2 cars per state, per month.
    I-miev by Mitsubishi sold in those numbers too.

They sold 1 too many to allow private imports, which is a bit of a cunt because I would have one in a heartbeat for the school run, local shopping, running around. They have 50kw.

The I miev vans can be imported as they were never sold here but they have the same drivetrain de rated to 25kw. Plug in to the house power so with solar I could charge almost for free in 4 hours.

I saw a volt yesterday actually. Also the Honda version, I can't remember what they were called.. The i-miev has similar performance to the BMW ivolt thing but is $20k not $75k
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    ^ The Honda was just a "Civic" wasn't it?
    Wait ... no, Insight rings a bell ... $27k RRP for a 2013, $50k RRP for a 2002 ... I'd totally forgotten they existed!

Also, i-Miev was $50k not $20k. The BMW i3 is more at $70k-$80k, this is true, but the i-Miev is basically a base Mira sitting on top of an electric engine, the i3 may not exactly be carving up the 'Ring but it's a much less depressing place to spend any traffic time. If you're comparing used prices, the i3 must have fantastic resale!
    Last edited by Captiva Fan; 14-03-18 at 08:34 AM.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Registered User bigshipengine.jpg's Avatar
    I reckon the Outlander PHEV is the sort of technology that makes much more sense in a large sparse country like Australia and is a logical step between "normal" cars and purely electric vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    It Places the lotion in the basket!

^ Except why didn't they do the same thing in something which isn't a fucked-up shitbox?
    *edit*
    Hmm, answered it myself I guess, they are Mitsubishi & don't actually have any product which isn't a fucked-up shitbox.
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

I love how the Greens disagreed limitations on range were an issue for most drivers and stated "Even in remote and rural areas, three-quarters of the journeys people undertake are less than 50 kilometres".

It's hilarious looking at Tesla Go Anywhere tool. Some of the places I go require detours that add 300km to the trip plus an hour of charging and they would get me to my destination with a battery that is near empty. Other destinations aren't possible at all.

Really the range of an electric car for rural and regional use needs to have a range exceeding that of an IC car to try and negate stopping for prolonged periods to recharge.
    Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

Quote Originally Posted by Old Major View Post
    I love how the Greens disagreed limitations on range were an issue for most drivers and stated "Even in remote and rural areas, three-quarters of the journeys people undertake are less than 50 kilometres".
    They have a point.
    Just don't go out every 4th time, the 4-out-of-4 which is over 50km.
    Then the next time you go out will be back to 1-out-of-4.
    Problem solvered.

For most of the population cars are just tools or appliances these days. The sorts of conversations people used to have about car ownership is how the younger generations talk about phone ownership and car conversations are how we used to talk about our pre mobile telephones.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    ^ The Honda was just a "Civic" wasn't it?
    Wait ... no, Insight rings a bell ... $27k RRP for a 2013, $50k RRP for a 2002 ... I'd totally forgotten they existed!

Also, i-Miev was $50k not $20k. The BMW i3 is more at $70k-$80k, this is true, but the i-Miev is basically a base Mira sitting on top of an electric engine, the i3 may not exactly be carving up the 'Ring but it's a much less depressing place to spend any traffic time. If you're comparing used prices, the i3 must have fantastic resale!
    Yeah I'm talking second hand.

The i3 has better electronics by far, but the driving performance is the same. I just like the fact that nopics loves the idea and it also makes economic sense to get her into one out of a V8 3.5 tonne 4wd, especially as I can charge it for free.

They are pretty popular though, there is a significant group of people who are "into e-cars" and as soon as one comes up they buy sell etc.

In face a mate of mine just bought a crashed Holden volt and is about to do a conversion using it's batteries and drivetrain into another chassis.
    Last edited by I'm DJ!; 15-03-18 at 08:00 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    In face a mate of mine just bought a crashed Holden volt and is about to do a conversion using it's batteries and drivetrain into another chassis.
    Oooh, Lotus 7!

Oh the ironing...

running out of volts, lpg, diesel or petrol is poor planning, not a fault of the car.
    some are more inconvenient than others
    we are all just used to the availability of internal combustion fuels and the range.
    as range and availability of charging increases so will uptake.

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-b...-idUSKBN1GY1BQ

My volt was great

Once you ran out of charge it switched to hybrid mode

Then you could run it on petrol like a normal car forever

But if you ran it out of fuel there was still a tiny reserve and the cunt kept going till the battery was completely done

Then your fucked, but top it up with fuel and off you go again

I was looking at an i3 at one stage, but I couldn’t bring myself to buy a car with skinner tyres than my scooter

was looking at an i3 as well, some of the deals on demo's where pretty good in sydney.

another billionaire says he will make elctric cars :

Dyson getting in on the gig.

cant wait till james Packer builds his as well

https://www.autocar.co.uk/car-news/n...ctric-car-2020
    Dyson wants to grow its EV programme workforce by 300 people in a bid to ramp up the pace of development before its first car reaches the market in 2019.

The British brand, a leader in vacuum cleaners and hand dryers, already has 400 employees focused on the project, but is now "looking to fill an additional 300 automotive vacancies" as it moves into a new location at Hullavington Airfield, a 750 acre campus that will be Dyson’s second research and development site in Britain.

The EV project has been working to produce three EV models for more than three years now. Its first car will be a low volume model produced in fewer than 10,000 units. Company founder Sir James Dyson said this model will carry a premium price tag but will not be a sports car (scroll down for more details on this model).
    ta da :

Last edited by 9triton; 04-04-18 at 07:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by 9triton View Post
    cant wait till james Packer builds his as well
    Gunna be hard building a car company given his current state. Maybe trucks might his thing given the size of his ex...

The Aussie Tesla: Start-up plans to build electric cars in Australia

http://www.canberratimes.com.au/busi...13-p4z9fj.html

There are currently no Australian-made battery-powered car makers manufacturing in Australia, but ACE Electric Vehicles plans to change that.

The company, which started as GetGreen – an energy management company – before evolving into solar farm development and branching out into electric cars, says it wants to bring manufacturing back to Australia, specifically regional Queensland.

"We are proud to be launching our first range of Australian electric vehicles," ACE Electric Vehicles managing director Greg McGarvie said.

"This is now a realistic proposition since our agreements on a new patented manufacturing process for electric vehicles."

The group is targeting the release of its first electric car by the third quarter of this year, with two more vehicles scheduled to be released in 2019.

There are currently two models, a ute, dubbed the Yewt, and a cargo van. Prices will be belowe $40,000.

Mr McGarvie said the vehicles had been built predominately for urban environments, "they have been designed for jobs like small trades or physiology labs, where they are going back and forth".

The vehicles have a total range of 350 kilometres using a 40 kilowatt hour battery – the Tesla Model 3 has a 50 kilowatt hour battery – although 99 per cent of trial trips have been under 110 kilometres.

While the vehicles’ carbon fibre components are being built in China, they are assembled in Australia.

"They are shipped to Australia and put together like Ikea," he said.

Mr McGarvie said once demand increases all manufacturing will shift to Australia.

"Once we hit around 10,000 units a year we can shift all building and manufacturing to Australia."

Quote Originally Posted by bigshipengine.jpg View Post
    I reckon the Outlander PHEV is the sort of technology that makes much more sense in a large sparse country like Australia and is a logical step between "normal" cars and purely electric vehicles.

Sent from my SM-G900I using Tapatalk
    You would think so, but if Mitsubishi keeps deciding not to fit them with a spare tyre what is the point?

This Post Brought To You By Brawndo The Thirst Mutilator

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by Masier View Post
    You would think so, but if Mitsubishi keeps deciding not to fit them with a spare tyre what is the point?
    spare tyre delete is like free horsepower man
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

More like poor man's range extender

This Post Brought To You By Brawndo The Thirst Mutilator

i-pace, will be interesting to see how this one goes as its one of the first fully fledged ground up EVs from a traditional car company, ~500km range $120k AUD.

this signature intentionally left blank

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    I mentioned it before in other Electric Car threads, the manufacturers need to collaborate and come up with a standard for charging equipment.

The plug/socket, supply voltage, current management, etc, until they become a standard you're going to have to build far more infrastructure than what would be needed otherwise.

Porsche has started a pissing contest with Tesla with their 800V charging system vs. Tesla's 400V system. That's great guys, so your Porsche can't be charged at a Tesla station and vice-versa?

A petrol car can pull into any servo anywhere in the world and the pump nozzle fits in the filler, and unless you've got something highly-strung it won't make fuckall difference if you fill it with 91, 94, 95, 98, etc. nor are you restricted to one brand of fuel, Shell, BP, Esso, whoever, you pull in and fill up and drive off again.

They need the same convenience with electrics,
    https://phys.org/news/2017-11-german...c-network.html

Tesla are going to get bulldozed in Europe when all the manufacturers get production going.
    Last edited by Mini; 18-04-18 at 12:16 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by CussCuss View Post
    i-pace,
    Fuck it's ugly.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

have to agree, its a pity as there normal SUV thing looks good, this one they tried to hard on styling, and failed

Jak Sie Masz! trent from punchy's Avatar
    I dont mind the shape and front end, but have an issue with the rear, seems unfinished.
    www.markpakula.com
    2017 Subaru Impreza Hatch - for the grind
    2015 Cervelo S2 - for the fitness
    2005 Honda Accord Euro - for the wife
    2010 BMW S1000RR - for the sanity

Last edited by Smudge; 22-04-18 at 04:29 PM.
    He jerked off with the determination of someone within sight of Everest’s summit, having lost all his friends and Sherpas, having run out of supplemental oxygen, but preferring death to failure.