Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Thanks Batman.

Oh, and the new Honda NSX has an electric only mode too.

We'll see more of this coming. Electric motors to fill torque holes and balance handling.
    Last edited by Smudge; 27-02-17 at 07:42 PM.
    He jerked off with the determination of someone within sight of Everest’s summit, having lost all his friends and Sherpas, having run out of supplemental oxygen, but preferring death to failure.

Requires thought to stay in ev only operation, engine will switch on if you press accelerator a bit too much

There's a module that you can buy to make it stay ev but motors aren't really powerful enough in forced ev mode it's a bit too slow in case of emergency that's the outlander

Thing I like about the Volt is I can floor it and drive as fast as it will go (limited 101mph, 173km/h indicated 165km/h gps) all evmode

There's no significant performance difference ev only vs with engine running

Although the 2016 Cadillac ELR (same driveline) has a sport + mode and is actually quite zippy, wish it could be flashed into my car as it allows all 3 motors to work together and has 233kw 506nm total combined power vs 111kw and 370nm in the Volt (but its actually more in rex mode and funnily on a dyno they make about 120fwkw ev mode)

Cadillac ELR, would buy... sadly no longer made
    http://media.cadillac.com/media/us/e.../0415-elr.html

Last edited by MexicanBatman; 27-02-17 at 08:06 PM.

Wow, that list and the number of charging stations is a bit of an eye opener. I didn't realise there was that many about of either.

After speaking to a Tesla owner at the 'Plex, learning about him doing 400km highway and then watching it destroy a C63. I wants one as a weekly driver.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    Ah ok...

Honestly i'm surprised at the number of charging stations on the map, i've heard some people bang on about "no infrastructure for electric cars" but it looks way better than the naysayers make it out to be...

Attachment 98202
    It certainly looks better until you look closer, I think the term "Infrastructure" may be a little generous - in remote areas especially there seems to be an assortment of dedicated Tesla chargers, EV plugs and standard three phase outlets at commercial premises and showgrounds that people have bummed electricity from.

If you are driving up the Queensland coast, for instance, you'd be fucked. The map lists only three charging stations in Rockhampton, all of them Tesla. Then you get listings like this:

Sarina Showgrounds. Take the first left just before you get to the main entry gate. Lots of 3 phase 32 amp points on the grass around the field on the Bruce highway side. Note grounds may not be open at all times. Doesn't appear to be a caretaker on site
    Just walk into the office ask to use the 3 phase and drop of a box of Great Northern and you'll be set
    Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

I8 went past me a couple of hours ago.

Looks great.

Supraholic

Is the next partnership with Toyota and BMW going for an electric car as well?

The charging infrastructure issue is abit more than simply having the right plugs, the grid has to be able to support the increased load. Wasn't it last week that the governments were saying rolling blackouts were on the cards due to the grid's inability to support the increased load from A/C due to the high temperatures? If an energy supplier was told to choose what should have the power cut first you can be damm sure electric vehicle charge points will be the first to be shut down.
    FedEx found it is actually impossible to provide enough electric vehicle chargers in some areas due to the inability of the grid to support them.
    We added a couple of hundered of these things globally, with some locations being planned to have their entire fleet using them.

The central London station was earmarked to have 50 of them, except only 10 could be charged at a time otherwise the load was so great it would trip the safety switches at the sub-station. Same issue in LA and New York, we couldn't get enough power into the stations to charge the trucks in the required time frame. Memphis was the only location that could support more than a dozen trucks, and that was because they simply ran the backup generators to charge them!
    Granted they were using lead acid batteries, the one LiPo prototype was never completed due to the company going bust.

Quote Originally Posted by shifted View Post

Quoted because girl abs
    Last edited by doctorpat; 28-02-17 at 10:22 PM.

Pretty interesting discussion on the carbon footprint of electric cars in Australia.

Is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

Electric supersort race car used for hillclimb a will be in the next issue of Race Magazine. I now have a bunch of contacts (heh) for diy electric performance cars here in oz.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

Quote Originally Posted by seedyrom
    my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Yeah unless you live in Adelaide or have full solar set up at home off grid, electric cars in Australia run on coal.
    Turns out, far too much has been written about great men and not nearly enough about morons

my neighbours called the cops...... not because of the sound of me working in the garage was too loud, but because i taped a cardboard box to my back, covered my self in vaseline and pretended i was a snail on their lawn

Wannabe internet expert
    There's always been that concern about where the power is coming from, but I feel like that will be rectified as coal fired power stations are gradually pissed off. The real problem is the environmental damage that comes from creating these cars in the first place. The exotic materials needed to produce the batteries have to be extracted from mines which are very environmentally friendly.
    Last edited by Rthirty1; 11-07-17 at 12:16 AM.

Friend takes delivery of a Tesla P100d next week. He says ludicrous mode is something else.
    Proudly presenting the new foot long chocolate Subway.
    Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Rats tail haircut used to mean make sure the OC spray is shaken

about a third of the world's lithium comes from Australia and isn't any worse to remove and process than iron ore. You should see the shit they use to get gold!

Supraholic
    Whilst this topic is alive and kicking, I've always wondered what happens to the cars of yester-year say in 50 years time when it's all electric (if humanity survives that long)?

EG. many classic cars, historics etc that you just wouldn't butcher up to put an electric driveline in, will fuel just cost too much that they sit collecting dust unregistered? I plan on keeping my Supra for life, at some point will it sit and degrade from no use?

I do however, look forward to the MissionRS motorbike coming alive again, if it ever does (or the BMW equivalent when they make one).

^^^ Home distilled alcohol biofuels for your "vintage" turbo charged relic ?

Will run the car on moonshine I spose...

edit too slow to reply.

I think it was Jay Leno I heard say electric and/or hydrogen was the future because it will allow us to keep the old classics running (weekends etc)

Petrol will always be available, even if it requires popping down to Supercheap to pick up a 20L drum of the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by Shonky View Post
    BMW i8

I wouldn't say that map is exactly teaming with them though. I zoom in to a fairly wide map of Brisbane and it says there are 34. I wouldn't call that a lot and I might remember seeing them once or twice ever.
    So about the same as e85 then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

Have they solved the lack of soundtrack from these cars? and what's the go with that if there even is a solution? fake noises? coz m8, I need soundtrack from the car lol.

Quote Originally Posted by Baron Von Furrypants View Post
    Have they solved the lack of soundtrack from these cars? and what's the go with that if there even is a solution? fake noises? coz m8, I need soundtrack from the car lol.
    Having just driven a bmw 330e for a week, I found the lack of noise enthralling. As is the thing goes pretty quick, and you wonder where the powder is coming from as there is no noise

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro
    Quote Originally Posted by Sicarius123 View Post
    Performance Forums, where our two best threads are a man stabbing a lawn mower and a lawn mower stabbing a man

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Andrew Bolt View Post
    Friend takes delivery of a Tesla P100d next week. He says ludicrous mode is something else.
    Mid 10's and it'll do it on the shittiest of roads.

2250kg stock

I wouldn't mind having a play with EV drag racing
    Last edited by ALLMTR; 20-07-17 at 08:53 PM.
    "Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Buy old e forklift

Put motor in your Ute

Fill tub with AA’s

Profit?

Haha, that's brilliant!

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

Quote Originally Posted by ALLMTR View Post
    Mid 10's and it'll do it on the shittiest of roads.

2250kg stock

I wouldn't mind having a play with EV drag racing
    Started watching his vids couple of weeks back after being sucked into a jewtube vortex. Had some genuine lols at mustang driver cracking the sads about 'wet track' and 4wd etc etc

I'd own a Tesla, not purely on outright acceleration performance I just think on the road they look good and seem to blend in well. Obvious pro points of being enviro friendly, comfortable, looks better than any other EV, can fit a family and all of that.

BUT.....

Outright cost is more ludicrous than it's power modes. Obvious Australian tax raping but 150k plus for a second hand one fuck.
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Might be old news to some of you but the next Porsche Macan is going to be electric only. Thats right, plug in electric only.

http://www.motoring.com.au/porsche-m...ectric-107964/
    Last edited by LB-XP; 23-07-17 at 09:15 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by LB-XP View Post
    Might be old news to some of you but the next Porsche Macan is going to be electric only. Thats right, plug in electric only.

http://www.motoring.com.au/porsche-m...ectric-107964/
    In 2022. Bit of a way off.
    Audi will have the basis in the upcoming eTron Quattro suv

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    I'd own a Tesla, not purely on outright acceleration performance I just think on the road they look good and seem to blend in well. Obvious pro points of being enviro friendly, comfortable, looks better than any other EV, can fit a family and all of that.
    I'm yet to be convinced that these electric cars are really environmentally friendly yet, there's a fuck-ton of rare earths and other metals in the batteries which are far from kind to mother nature in the mining and processing phases before it's a "green" thing, and that's without the carbon footprint of shipping the shit....
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

Over the whole of life from digging it out if the ground to it going back into the ground when dead a conventional car is more environmentally friendly than an EV.

Classic cars are more environmentally friendly than new cars too when taking this approach. The amount of fuel used by a car is fuck all of the total environmental costs.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk