Page 5 of 12 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Electric cars in Australia general discussion thread, not just Teslas, the others too

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Won't even get you to the gold coast and back...
    Authentic experience I guess.
    Probably has an auxiliary tank for the oil leaks too.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

I think there are going to be more and more conversions of classics to electric (Can be done on VW bug (maybe Kombi), Citroen 2CV and I think classic Mini at the moment).
    Bosch have announced this compact integrated electric motor that would be good for powering a small classic.
    https://electrek.co/2017/01/11/bosch...n-drive-units/

The day is coming where you won't be able to use an IC engine in city centers and maybe outside of them. Yes, it's been mentioned before that people/governments are going to have to find cleaner ways of powering the grid that provides our clean, green, electric future. I acknowledge that and accept it.

Repowering classics with electric motors/batteries will still let me see Mini's (and other classics) on the roads in the forseeable future and for that I am grateful.
    He jerked off with the determination of someone within sight of Everest’s summit, having lost all his friends and Sherpas, having run out of supplemental oxygen, but preferring death to failure.

Quote Originally Posted by Smudge View Post
    I think there are going to be more and more conversions of classics to electric (Can be done on VW bug (maybe Kombi), Citroen 2CV and I think classic Mini at the moment).
    Bosch have announced this compact integrated electric motor that would be good for powering a small classic.
    https://electrek.co/2017/01/11/bosch...n-drive-units/

The day is coming where you won't be able to use an IC engine in city centers and maybe outside of them. Yes, it's been mentioned before that people/governments are going to have to find cleaner ways of powering the grid that provides our clean, green, electric future. I acknowledge that and accept it.

Repowering classics with electric motors/batteries will still let me see Mini's (and other classics) on the roads in the forseeable future and for that I am grateful.
    But why should classics have to? They already have a lower impact on the environment vs the constant recycling and manufacture of newer vehicles?
    For me, the motor is a huge part of the attraction to the classic - replacing it with an electric motor just doesn't appeal - might as well ride an electric shaver to work.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

But why should classics have to? They already have a lower impact on the environment vs the constant recycling and manufacture of newer vehicles?
    For me, the motor is a huge part of the attraction to the classic - replacing it with an electric motor just doesn't appeal - might as well ride an electric shaver to work.

In that case I present just the car for a conversion.

Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

http://forum.wscc.co.uk/forum/topic/...-the-megawatt/
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nOgD2USbGXs
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9e1fjyJYYds

above is a link to the Westfield forum where a fella in Barbados has converted his 7 to electric and drag races it.
    limited mileage not as much as an issue on the island apparently with plenty of charging points.

^^^ This 11ty billion percent. I'm hoping the mainstream jumps hard onto electric cars for their daily appliances, and the resultant effects on the environment mean that classics are left alone.

Quote Originally Posted by bg0013 View Post

above is a link to the Westfield forum where a fella in Barbados has converted his 7 to electric and drag races it.
    Misses the point of a Westfield?

Quote Originally Posted by rj_astra View Post
    Misses the point of a Westfield?
    I think he has taken it a bit to the extreme in this case.

I had considered changing path on my BEC (bike engine clubman) to electric, but range was my big issue, weight and it is also a bit cost prohibitive at the moment vs bike engine for the performance, but wont be forever.

Porsche Mission E

I'd like to think the price projections of US$80k to $90k are realistic.
    Last edited by Banzai; 23-09-17 at 02:43 PM.
    If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

Banned
    volvo, what ever is left of them now owned by Geely Chingaling
    will be the first major name to go full electric after IC all its life
    no more gas engines after 2018
    http://bgr.com/2017/09/21/tesla-mode...es-volvo-xc40/
    Polestar will be the upper class offering for Volvo Geely
    https://www.polestar.com/intl/2017/0...ormance-brand/

33k USD for their base model ev xc40 seems unreasonably cheap
    unless they go up like bushfires and finish is typical Geely
    Last edited by datso; 23-09-17 at 05:34 PM.

New Byton (Chinese) Electric SUV 'concept'

They've included lots of LCD screenage

http://www.caradvice.com.au/612367/c...c-suv-concept/

I did have a chuckle on the m7 yesterday, as I was coming on the on ramp a tesla whizzed past, VIC number plate I heart QUIET

I get the impression things like this Byton will be fairly commonplace on our roads in the not too distant future.

i.e. a Chinese/Korean/Indian/etc made electric appliance that fulfills the 'family' runaround duties.

Should this occur, can also imagine people saying while the brand is not that well known, it does come with brand name (eg Hitachi) batteries, which makes it all good.

I think that Volvo will be no more IC only engines, meaning that they will be hybrids or elec. Too soon to jump the shark & have your whole range electric at this stage.

Swincar NZ (imported from France). Maybe not this exact thing (bottom seems very low, limited range/speed & no suspension) but it does give you an idea of what a off-road electric gizmo can do without the need for driveshafts.

http://swincar.nz

https://www.pistonheads.com/news/dri...r-review/36848

Last edited by Smudge; 09-01-18 at 06:47 PM.
    He jerked off with the determination of someone within sight of Everest’s summit, having lost all his friends and Sherpas, having run out of supplemental oxygen, but preferring death to failure.

Now there's Kia's new Niro EV concept:

http://www.caradvice.com.au/612793/k...vealed-at-ces/

These things are all starting to look the same.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCL4..._7SCH-Xkuhbv4g

didn't know to post the link here or in the thousand cobra threads.
    fella built a factory 5 cobra with electric drive train, the quality of his video's is average, but lots there.

no mods, leave it stock Jack Nicholson's Avatar
    B̶e̶v̶e̶r̶l̶y̶ ̶H̶i̶l̶l̶s̶,̶ ̶C̶A̶ Baulkham Hills, NSW
    http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...23-h0musg.html

Govco ain't interested in electric cars
    Jaguar XJR, Freelander 2 HSE, Jaguar XKR

Quote Originally Posted by Marv View Post
    Look, just because you drive a couple of imported luxo Pommy cars doesn't mean you need to act like an Imperialistic Lapdog and be the last bastion of defence for Straya The Beaut's mid-20th-Century ideals
    Quote Originally Posted by nutttr View Post
    People must assume you are some sort of drug dealer with all these nice cars turning up to a fibro home

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Also a basis for a space shuttle or amphibious car?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    That would look pretty good if it had four wheels.

Quote Originally Posted by Jack Nicholson View Post
    http://www.smh.com.au/federal-politi...23-h0musg.html

Govco ain't interested in electric cars
    Knowing the Australian government, they won't offer incentives to help the electric car industry, they'll just put more taxes on petrol and diesel cars
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

dr karls podcast https://itunes.apple.com/au/podcast/...167803730?mt=2 about econobable is an interesting way to look at the governments position on coal/renewables subsidies which translates to the electric car industry.

Quote Originally Posted by TCR View Post
    Knowing the Australian government, they won't offer incentives to help the electric car industry, they'll just put more taxes on petrol and diesel cars
    Yes, much [strikethrough]better[/strikethrough] easier to penalise people for doing the "wrong" thing rather than encourage them to do an alternate thing.

It's like traffic fines, do the right thing and don't get caught for any offences in 20 years and you still pay full freight on your rego and licence, just like Johnny Dickhead that gets a fine every second day.

PF's #1 soft roader advocate Captiva Fan's Avatar
    Given that the government has zero interest in there being any sort of motor vehicle industry here, what would be the logical reason behind them putting money into helping the importers of alternate energy vehicles?

Wouldn't it be more sensible to be putting any of that same money into the supply side of things, renewable electricity?
    Soft roaders represent an excellent compromise between the needs of the hardcore 4x4 user and the convenience of a city hatchback. Its clear to see why they have become so popular in todays society.

Quote Originally Posted by Captiva Fan View Post
    Wouldn't it be more sensible to be putting any of that same money into the supply side of things, renewable electricity?
    yes, but the donations/influence from the renewable busines's is a lot less than the coal/oil so that aint going to happen in a hurry.

Quote Originally Posted by TCR View Post
    Until they work out how they will make up the shortfall in tax somehow
    Quote Originally Posted by thebluerx7 View Post
    The fact they want to ban cash makes me want to go out and use it full time again now .

Quote Originally Posted by I'm DJ! View Post
    Until they work out how they will make up the shortfall in tax somehow
    Or they'll do what they do here in NZ with diesel cars as diesel fuel at the pump doesn't have a road tax built into it.

So the way around it is that to drive legally on the road in a diesel vehicle you buy kilometres in blocks, if your odo exceeds what you've paid up for then you can get a fine if caught.

Porsche to invest $9.4 billion in hybrids and electric vehicles

https://www.drive.com.au/motor-news/...trackLink=SMH0

Porsche has announced it is doubling its existing financial commitment to electrified vehicle technology with a planned €6 billion ($A9.4 billion) investment by the end of 2022 – including €500 million ($A782 million) for the development of variants and derivatives of the upcoming production version of the four-door Mission E.

The German car maker had already committed €3 billion ($A4.7billion) to electromobility, but its supervisory board has now agreed to double that investment in a move set to see an extension of the number of plug-in hybrid and pure electric models offered by Porsche.

As well as the investment to be made in the development of variants and derivatives of the pure-electric Mission E due out in 2019, Porsche also plans to spend up to €1 billion ($A1.6 billion) on what is describes as the hybridization of existing models, including its iconic 911 sportscar.

Porsche chief executive officer, Oliver Blume, says a further €700 ($A1.1 billion) is earmarked for investments in technology, infrastructure and smart mobility solutions, while “several hundreds of millions (of Euros) is planned to be spent on the upgrading of existing production facilities to handle the assembly of new plug-in hybrid and pure electric Porsche models.

I think it would be a fun way to repower common "classics" like bugs and morris minors. It's not like driving an A-series 850 ever contributed much to the Morris experience.

I've been suggesting to my old man that he does this to the series 2 minor that's been sitting disassembled in the shed for 20 years, however his first priority is the MG that's been sitting disassembled in the shed for 40 years.

In reality spending that much money on a car that would be robbed of it's originality and still offer nothing in the way of handling/safety/conveniences is a bad idea, better to wait for the new electric cute classic "remakes" that will come in the future.
    Yes we Chemistry

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    So I have a hybrid for work right.

It's not a plugin model, so every single bit of energy in that vehicle, originally came from petrol anyway. It does regen the battery on decel, which is the only thing the hybrid system benefits. It just makes so fucking little sense to me - you save a fraction of petrol due to the charging during decel, but add a massive amount of complexity to the vehicle.

A plugin hybrid on the other hand could, if driven accordingly, potentially never use the petrol and be fueled from the home or work cheaply. This seems like a good model with the redundancy of a petrol motor for long trips, forgot to plug in driving home from the pub drunk or the instance you need more than the 40 kW electric motor is capable of. At that stage you should just commit to a EV and save lugging around an ICE, and just hire cars for long trips maybe?

Am I missing something with non plugin hybrids? What the actual fuck?
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"