Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Anyone doing some woodworking?

Anyone doing some woodworking?

I know most of us in here will be metal work and other sorts of fab. But is anyone doing any stuff with wood?
    I have got back into some woodworking this year for the first time since high school, and enjoying making stuff not for the car for once. Mainly making furniture and outdoor stuff for now.

Had a look around on some of the other forums and most woodworkers seem to either be purists with eleventy billion dollars worry of custom Japanese draw blade saws and do everything the "artisan" way, or expect beginners to go out and stump up $10k on Dewalt or go home.

Anyone else into it?
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

I used to hate it, but as I get older, and also due to where I work, I've started to get into it.
    I'm still beyond shit, but enjoying giving it a go.

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Subscribed. Keen to learn.

Working with steel all day long some woodwork is a soothing relief.

Some of the bits ive made since moving into this new house 18 months ago, bit crappy I know but as the place is a rental and renting a house un-furnished out here is impossible investing good money to buy decent stuff that may not fit the next house is a waste, this stuff I can bin without concern.

That's actually some pretty nice stuff, shits all over my attempts

25 schmeckles? Do the safety dance.'s Avatar
    Yeah I'd be happy with making some not shit shelving for home.

I do a bit but only because my father has a cabinet factory with all the gear. I like the way some of that stuff goes together Fondles I have used same tab idea on laser cut steel.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Unregistered User Permit Roadsailing's Avatar
    yep getting slowly less shit at it. most of my tools are ozito, love the idea of hand tools but don't have the money or time for them.

Fondles, what's in the tub between the two water bottles?

Quote Originally Posted by Roadsailing View Post
    Fondles, what's in the tub between the two water bottles?

washing machine powder (cheaper to buy in bulk, a 10kg bucket is only $8.00 vs $2.50 for a 2kg bag).
    Last edited by Fondles; 16-03-17 at 09:36 PM.

I get enthusiastic every few years and knock up a bit of furniture - bookcases / dining room table / bed are some of the projects.

Haven't done anything for a couple of years now but want to find the time. When I cleared out the old man's place after we moved him into a nursing home a few years back, I found a stack of timber of all sorts, ranging from old 2nd hand teak he rescued from ships and had dressed (he was a shipwright), through to Australian Red Cedar slabs, white cedar planks, quite a lot of some sort of silky oak / forest oak and a few bits of Banksia. Got all his old tools as well, much better quality than what I'm used to ! Apart from his old planes, chisels, saws and stuff, I've also got his Triton Workcentre to mess around with.
    Last edited by dave1600; 16-03-17 at 09:43 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    That's actually some pretty nice stuff, shits all over my attempts

Iam a fraud though at woodwork, I design it in cad and waterjet cut the bits (the pine stand was handmade).

Haha nice, water jet looks like it cuts wood fairly clean. For some reason I thought it would splinter like fuck.
    We use lasers a lot for cutting and engraving small wood projects. And CNC for larger efforts

Haha nice, water jet looks like it cuts wood fairly clean. For some reason I thought it would splinter like fuck.
    We use lasers a lot for cutting and engraving small wood projects. And CNC for larger efforts

It cuts great but there is a reason why I only use marine ply and not MDF**. even the pine absorbs too much water.

** my armour proto stuff is 6m MDF but it goes in the sun straight away to dry, anything thicker turn to shit.

Nice, need to convince my work to get one haha

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    It cuts great but there is a reason why I only use marine ply and not MDF**. even the pine absorbs too much water.

** my armour proto stuff is 6m MDF but it goes in the sun straight away to dry, anything thicker turn to shit.
    Waterjet or not fuck MDF in general.

Waterjet or not fuck MDF in general.
    Cuts very quik and for armour prototyping is perfect.

Cut it, fit it, tweak DXF Design and repeat. Once happy cut steel (just cause MDF is happy don't mean steel is).

Throw MDF in bin.

I've just started mucking around with woodworking. Gotta say it's not bad fun. Had a go at making a bed head which was probably too big of a first project but it came up ok. All of the timber is new, made to look aged.

Built all of that and THEN bought a table saw. Should have done it the other way!

Downside of woodwork, especially in a workshop shared with metal work is the bloody saw dust.

If you're after inspiration, look up Matthias wandel on you tube. Wood worker that makes his own power tools/jigs etc.
    Very cool.

Quote Originally Posted by QABB View Post
    Built all of that and THEN bought a table saw. Should have done it the other way!

Downside of woodwork, especially in a workshop shared with metal work is the bloody saw dust.
    That is pretty sweet. And yeah, bloody sawdust everywhere. I do most of my cuts outside in the rear laneway that our garage comes off, but still with any breeze the area under the racecar fills up with sawdust.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

That bed head is awesome.

And measure twice cut once is a very good rule to follow as wood is fucken ordinary to weld back together if you fuck up !!
    Last edited by Fondles; 17-03-17 at 11:15 AM.

measure twice cut once
    My old man's favourite saying.

Mine was "Its close enough".......

Cuts very quik and for armour prototyping is perfect.

Cut it, fit it, tweak DXF Design and repeat. Once happy cut steel (just cause MDF is happy don't mean steel is).

Throw MDF in bin.
    I mean for dust, touching it etc. I made a desk out of bare MDF a long time ago, what a fucking stupid idea that was. I used to think it was the shit for speaker boxes but I've made a few out of plywood (well, subwoofers) and it has worked fine.

hard to beat for prototype work I suppose, depends what plywood is like in Thailand.

Quote Originally Posted by QABB View Post

sawdust is pretty shit, I use my shopvac on tools I can adapt it to but usually wear a respirator and sweep up afterwards, or do routing etc over a 44 gallon drum in the back yard. I do metalwork outside as the workshop isn't really suited to hot metal anyway.

Matthias is great for a lot of stuff, not a fan of his "put a 1/2 inch radius on every edge" technique though. He demonstrates the common practice of mainly using your tools to make other tools pretty well.

https://www.youtube.com/user/jimmydiresta is worth checking out, most of his woodwork is somewhat rough and ready but it gets the job done quicker.

Quote Originally Posted by dave1600 View Post
    My old man's favourite saying.

Mine was "Its close enough".......
    "I've cut it 3 times and it's still too short"

I mean for dust, touching it etc. I made a desk out of bare MDF a long time ago, what a fucking stupid idea that was. I used to think it was the shit for speaker boxes but I've made a few out of plywood (well, subwoofers) and it has worked fine.

hard to beat for prototype work I suppose, depends what plywood is like in Thailand.

Yeah for furniture and stuff MDF needs to be sealed/painted/trimmed with vinyl.

I use MDF for prototyping as it is 6mm thick, same as the steel I use.

Plywood here is real crap, but the marine ply I use is awesome.

My sub box is marine ply.

Yeah the dust is a mother fucker. Even with twin bag 3ph dust extractors our cnc's still make a fucking mess.

I do a bit, making guitars and stuff. Havent had a shed for a while but just bought a house so will be back into it soon.

As far as tools go, Japanese stuff can be interesting with file saws/etc being really nice for fine stuff, but you still want a bunch of power tools. Good quality chisels/etc but its been explained to me that the most important thing is learning to sharpen your tools properly. A $$$$ tool thats mildly blunt isnt as good as a $2 tool thats been properly sharpened, but the $$$$ might hold a nice edge for longer/etc.

All that sort of stuff is only really important with nice woods. With guitars you can spend $400 on a few hundred grams of wood... you really dont wanna fuck that up by slipping with a blunt chisel! (Im not at the level yet... hope to be with new shed though)

If youre building with MDF and painting it, everything is far less critical.
    #WHOTW award winner #blessed #susanalbumparty

i used to do heaps, plenty of woodturning my favourite stuff was getting old greyed hardwood that people think is good for nothing but firewood and giving it a new lease of life. have cut up many a 50+ year old railway sleepers into boards and made some shit. dont get much time anymore more into cars these days anyway
    Last edited by E30is; 17-03-17 at 07:41 PM.
    E30 325is M20 3.1L

Yeah the dust is a mother fucker. Even with twin bag 3ph dust extractors our cnc's still make a fucking mess.
    And it always will, Get cyclone and do it properly, anything with a bag does not catch the fine micron dust that gets in your lungs and stays there.

Apart from carbon filters, the bag type is all we sell. Mainly due to most cabinet makers don't seem to want anything else

Apart from carbon filters, the bag type is all we sell. Mainly due to most cabinet makers don't seem to want anything else
    And then they complain when the dust imbedded in their lungs forces them out of their job. There is only one decent cyclone available in this country anyway and it is sold direct to the user. http://clearvueoz.com.au This separates the air from the dust better than 99%.