Thread: Differentials & Axle Preferences

Differentials & Axle Preferences

Hi,

I'm looking to find out what others would prefer to use for diffs. Dana 60 vs 80? 35 spline solid vs. gundrilled flanged axles? 40 spline flanged axles?

whatch y'all like?

Landcruiser axles!

But to be fair, the ones under Patrols are pretty good too

To the Op.

In Aus Dana 60's and 80's are not all that common. Patrols come standard with axles close to dana 60 strength and cruisers are not too far off in strength also.

So the axle conversions you see in the states for jeeps just arnt required. What you will see people bitching about how weak jeep axles are though.
    Quote Originally Posted by Babalouie View Post
    Geez we're a bunch of softcocks...we have a 911 and we're obsessing over non-functional ducts and indicator colours

depends what it's going on

Quote Originally Posted by 4x4 Lugnut View Post
    Hi,

I'm looking to find out what others would prefer to use for diffs. Dana 60 vs 80? 35 spline solid vs. gundrilled flanged axles? 40 spline flanged axles?

whatch y'all like?
    It's all application based. You wouldn't use a Dana 70 for 33s, your diff will be dragging everywhere you go. Likewise, 37s on a Hilux setup is asking for trouble.

For a modest budget, Patrol and Cruiser diffs can be made to work decently. Mainly the Cruiser rears, but there's a few options for the front. You can get Cromo front and rear Patrol rear axles now. If you want to go nuts, it works out cheaper going straight to Danas and getting all the good year from Yank land. Also don't discount the GM 14 bolt if you are going to the trouble of importing. Big pro to the American stuff is the sheer number of parts and options you have. You can build it exactly how you need it.

Mog diffs or Rockwells for the Super fun stuff.

You can get Hybrid diffs now, ie Patrol centre on Dana axles. My general thought is that this is convenience over total strength, but its still an option.

Factory reinforced 60 series housings, dirty 30 birfields and axles front, oversize axel flange dowels and bolts, chromo axles, 4.56s and the obligatory airlocker. Will handle 37s and power, day in, day out..

The amount of people saying cruiser diffs has caught me by suprise. I always thought patrol diffs were the hotness, because they are missile proof from the factory?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

Toyota axles have abit better aftermarket support compared to the Nissan ones iirc.
    For me if I was building a truck for hard use, I'd go straight to Dana 60 at the very least, even on something as light as a Jeep.
    If I was to buy a V8 LC70, I'd be going for the Dana conversion unless someone does retubed Toyota rear axles, not keen on the adaptions to fix the rear track width.

Patrol diffs are tough.
    i just do cruiser diffs because i grew up on old cruisers. That and apart from the less then useless factory LSDs they can handle an absolute beating.

Im not a big fan of danas the whole lack of CVs thing, and non adjustable hub bearings is queer (might not all be like that, just the ones ive worked on). And anything i do cruiser or gq/gu diffs are more then enough.

PeterNot

Differentials Axle Preferences

I just winged it. One way might have a bit less vibration after an axle swap, but offroading junk tends to vibrate on a good day, so I would not sweat it.

Patrol diffs are tough and are better out of the box, total package than any cruiser diff; but that's about where there advantages finish.

As previously said the Toyota stuff has better aftermarket support, although the Patrols are slowly starting to catch up.
    The aftermarket Patrol cvs are rated (if you can find a manufacturer that provides a rating) to the same strength as aftermarket Hilux and 80 series gear. The 60 series front ring/pinion is tougher than a patrol. It's the 80 series, which is just a high pinion hilux ring/pinion that gives some Toyota stuff a bad name.
    Big issue with the 40 and 60 series housings is that they can be too narrow for modern applications.

The cruiser rear diff is tough as. It's a full floater setup with a decent size ring/pinion with impressively strong stock shafts. Aftermarket shafts are an option to. You just need to drill and tap the studs to fix there factory weakness.
    You can get full floater setups for a h233 patrol diff now, but that costs $$$.

Anyway, in a lot of words I haven't said much, so ill summarise it as follows.

If you want stock diffs and don't want to change much, go patrol.
    If you are starting from scratch and can plan a build from the ground up, go Toyota, or something else.