Thread: Cracks on tyres on RE002

is delicious

Cracks on tyres on RE002

Is this normal? Tyres were manufactured 32w of 2013. Made in Taiwan and both have this crack on the front tyres.

is delicious
    Btw, nothing like this occurred on my same RE002 made in Indonesia made early 2011. Both sets on 2 different cars done similar k's.

That's not normal. I'd suggest that you get rid of them as soon as possible...

Tyre getting old, thats the carcass join line, similar thing happened to a set of Fed RSR I had and used at the creek once. Considering they are over 3 yrs old and past their best chuck em away.

Do a big skid, post vid and then replace. Repeat next time tyres look like that.

is delicious
    Is it a defect in manufacturing? The car (it's a hybrid) that is on barely able to crack any decent skids worth sharing. Surely they'd last for at least 5 years?

Hit up the manufacturer. See what they say, maybe had a bad run. might get lucky and will replace for free.

Either way, I wouldn't be using them.

i have had similar tread separation on toyo R888's - but on a high horsepower track car. Still had plenty of tread, but i pulled the whole set off, filled them full of dirt and used them for pot-plants.

i reckon the bridgestone guys would be interested to see them. They freighted my fucked tyres down south when two failed on me on a hot day crossing the barkly highway. And gave me credit for new ones.

Yeah I got that on my RSRs too, on both rears.

Last edited by Nick; 08-03-17 at 10:39 AM.
    '06 Subaru Liberty Wagon 3.0R-B
    '03 Lexus IS300 2JZGTE

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    rsr's on some rims i bought are like this also, i was just going to say fuck it and use them but now not sure
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

Keep on using them til you hear the carcass smash into ya guard when it fails completely.

In all honesty I kept driving on mine til bald but I didn't dare take em back onto the track.

It's the tread splice. The rule of thumb is if you see the tread splice appear, rotate the tyres so they're turning the opposite direction.
    It's common on RSRs used on the track and not a problem for them - they won't fall apart.
    The Bridgestone street tyre doing that on a hybrid could be a problem though - they have no real excuse for doing that.

+1 for not a problem on rsr and common although doesn't look good and stopped me from buying them again. Would be interesting to see what Bridgestone has to say about those. Most tyre manufacturers these days state a useful life of up to 5 years. Your tyres are still within that ballpark.

Registered User schnitzelburger's Avatar
    thanks for info
    Turbo NB MX5: more derp less carbon lightyear clone
    Supra sold it: 1983 MA61 Supra - 2JZ-GTE + 6spd

ohsdocs.com.au Safe Work Method Statements and other OH&S paperwork for builders and tradies, PF members PM me I'll do you a good deal.

is delicious
    Well they tyre store I got them from (coz BS told me it's quicker that way if it is a splice) is blaming me for running over something and that is nothing serious. OK.

Quote Originally Posted by smellytofu View Post
    Well they tyre store I got them from (coz BS told me it's quicker that way if it is a splice) is blaming me for running over something and that is nothing serious. OK.
    Contact bridgestone direct, just to be sure.

is delicious
    They were a BS Select store in Parramatta. Drove all the way there only to be fobbed off in less than a minute. I'll go to their NSW Head office in Silverwater when I have a chance.
    Last edited by smellytofu; 10-03-17 at 07:50 AM.

Call head office or even better, email your concerns with pics and let them know what your friendly local dealer had to say. Also insist that that is not a normal thing to happen to a tyre and you have not run over any debris to cause it.

is delicious
    The guys at HO said it's not a safety thing and more a cosmetic thing but will cover warranty for the 2 at no cost. So a no to the Parra shop and yes to going to head office.

Quote Originally Posted by smellytofu View Post
    The guys at HO said it's not a safety thing and more a cosmetic thing but will cover warranty for the 2 at no cost. So a no to the Parra shop and yes to going to head office.

Who cares! Its a win!

Definitely a win and worth the effort. Well played sir.

Nice to know that your problem will be fixed sooner. My front tires have some cracks also but not too bad like yours.

Fuck I love and hate dip shit's at tyre stores on one hand their incompetence pushes customers away and possibly to me but on the other hand they make every one in the trade look bad.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.