Thread: wiring car up for trailer (not lights - but brakes etc)

wiring car up for trailer (not lights - but brakes etc)

so I've decided to get a trailer for the civic. The guy I'm getting it off had an IPRA car so it makes my life easier just being able to drive it on with the splitter on haha.

he mentioned its got electric brakes - obviously its easier for me to just plug a solar panel to the battery and let it charge - but is there a way I could wire it up to the car? anderson plug would be the answer yeah? but would that mean I'd need to run a dual battery too? I think I should be fine just charging the battery I think in reality I wont be driving it long enough to really drain it. but I'm just thinking ahead incase its too much of a pain to drive on and i decide to add an electric winch as well (which then I know I'd have to go dual battery etc anyway)

is it even a good idea to run a 2nd plug to power the brakes? no real point probably. but just good if I end up doing an electric winch anyway

you would need a brake controller in the car
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

Electric brakes only requires a brake controller . The Red-Arc Tow Pro is one i like to recommend . Not sure if car trailers need a Brake-Away , I know Caravans have too now by law . If you're a bit of a Novice with towing another thing to invest in would be a ALKO ESC . Fitted a few to caravans and wired plenty of cars for them

I have a red arc controller I forgot to say.

its more just should I run a separate power source and give myself head aches or do I just run the battery one with a charger in between usage lol

also I think I'm ok with towing. not had any mishaps yet. probably due to 90% of my land rovers needing towing anyway lol
    Last edited by LoveB; 15-03-17 at 01:10 PM.

The newer red arc controllers are good.

But what is the battery for, does it have a breakaway controller on it - like this - http://cdn.wellnessarticles.net/2016...5ba46b17af.jpg

If thats it, you normally add a power wire with a ~15amp fuse to the aux/reverse pin on the trailer plug, this then charges the battery in the controller.

If you have a breakaway contoller you will need to fit a monitor for the breakaway contoller, see this for more info - http://www.batterybusiness.com.au/bl...ery-indicators

actually no, had a look at trailer yesterday. It doesnt actually have a battery as it doesnt have a breakaway.

so I imagine then that seeing as Ive used the car with a traier thats had brakes before - its safe to assume that I dont need the battery anyway and the brake swill just work off the standard wiring?

car brake controller fires pixies down the trailer plug to make brakes work.
    This is a post i wrote by mistake, which is nice...

PF GT5 whore car list https://spreadsheets.google.com/ccc?...thkey=CPKNmOIJ

Brake controller should have an override button, connect empty trailer, drive slowly and activate brake override, the wheels should lock on.

Quote Originally Posted by 2Avoid View Post
    Electric brakes only requires a brake controller . The Red-Arc Tow Pro is one i like to recommend . Not sure if car trailers need a Brake-Away , I know Caravans have too now by law
    I think thats by the weight
    you cant spell advertisements without semen between the tits

A mate built a car trailer about 30 years ago with a simple arrangement for the electric brakes. It used a potentiometer setup in a box with two coil springs with an adjustable bridge. It required a bit of trial and error to adjust for the load initially but you'd soon work out were to set it for empty or heavy or light load.

It was a 6 wheeler with Austin 1800 hydrospastic suspension and was the best trailer I have ever used.

Quote Originally Posted by Paul M View Post
    The newer red arc controllers are good.

But what is the battery for, does it have a breakaway controller on it - like this - http://cdn.wellnessarticles.net/2016...5ba46b17af.jpg

If thats it, you normally add a power wire with a ~15amp fuse to the aux/reverse pin on the trailer plug, this then charges the battery in the controller.

If you have a breakaway contoller you will need to fit a monitor for the breakaway contoller, see this for more info - http://www.batterybusiness.com.au/bl...ery-indicators
    Don't run the charge circuit through the reverse pin on 7 pin plugs, if you need to run a charge system on the trailer use a 13 pin plug or an anderson plug.
    You don't need dual batteries to run an anderson plug, but it's not a bad idea. I'd add one anyway so you can use an electric winch on the car trailer, even if it's a portable one.
    The reason I say not to run the charge circuit through the reverse pin is some trailers are wired to use reverse lights, and likewise some cars have the reverse pin wired up properly. I always wired up the reverse pin on the car side.