Page 11 of 11 FirstFirst ... 7891011

Thread: Lightyear's Track MX5 back up car.

I love how quickly you turn things around. I can't even find the time and/or motivation to pull the car cover off mine and do a spanner check on it
    2015 Skoda Octavia RS162TSI
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo
    2016 Toyota 86 GTS (No Pics)

A couple of days ago I was looking for Enkei 17x9's and R specs for the blue NC. Now it's for sale and this is turbo charged. I am only working on the car as its part of my garage make over. It's a win win.

Here is another video from the weekend. Pushing the car to 100% and sometimes a bit over.
    NA8B 89KW- P.I. 1:50.1, WNTN1:38.0, SDWN 1:27.6, WKFLD 1:10.4
    NB8B 181KW- P.I 1:43.8, WNTN 1:32.9, SDWN 1:22.0, BDFD 1:05.3
    VP 293KW- P.I 1:43.8 WNTN 1:33.5

Noice. Canít wait to see what the new drivetrain will be capable of.

Yep, should be quick enough.

Pic of my driveway. Lol.

hey mate, out of intrest, your times in your sig look amazing! is the NA8 stock? to be able to go around wakefeild at that pace is out of control! im yet to take my NA8 there yet but wouldn't dream of coming close!
    ~~ ‹~~
    ~ (**) ~
    ~~ /\~~
    ~ mmm...stick boobies~

The NA had a complete NB8B body swap. So all NB8B bits and an NA6 shell. It had elcheapo extractors and sports exhaust, B.C coilovers and front sway bar. I ran in "modified" class, so not allowed many mods. Had to retain factory roof, full weight car, not even allowed to remove the passenger seat. No wings, splitters etc.
    When I went it was stupid hot and windy blowing sand and dust all over the track. If I went back I would have expected a flat 1:10. That's the only time I have driven on the track. And that was 5 years ago..

There might be video on YouTube- Lightyear Wakefield MX5.
    Last edited by lightyear; 15-02-19 at 10:34 AM.

You can tell you've done a few laps around there before. Love the phone mount on the steering wheel

I've just received a set of Singular Motorsport bonnet vents from SuperMiata, so between that and your posts I've finally found some motivation to get back into my car.

Looking forward to seeing how the black car goes with the turbo setup. What are the details of the turbo setup? Built engine?
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Yep, I am pretty confident driving around Phillip island. I just love the track, it's so fast and flowing. The phone bluetooths to the GPS transponder and gives me live timing, speeds, best sectors, etc.
    I have the Singular vents, I swapped for a stock bonnet.
    The motor is fully built, I have details of the build somewhere, but it was 10 years ago. It has things like oil galleries opened up, and it's fully forged with good brand gear. The turbo is some custom Garrett job, but the technology has progressed heaps since that was built. I will use it all the same. The aim is to keep the power down to 300hp and cap the torque so the box doesn't blow up. It made something like 400hp nowhere near redline on the engine dyno, but he installed an external blow off valve to allow 60% of the gas flow to be bled off. Once a strong box is decided on and installed, then it can get tuned for max power.

Talking of Max Power bbeavis, what are your thoughts on gearbox solutions. I just saw the guy with 433rwhp on Facebook. He better run skinny tyres to keep the box alive?
    I remember Tyrone had different torque in each gear on my setup. He limited 1st as you don't need full power on such a short gear, and one other.

The way I see it, no point limiting torque in first gear as I'd never use full throttle in that anyway. I suppose forcing it in the ecu makes sense for a real dummy driver however.
    There are dudes with insane power, like 500nm+ on a 5 speed even, which is fine if its a street car and you cant really use the power and you just fry the tyres anyway. Not gonna work for our use where grip is high and so are driveline demands.

The BMW trans K-miata solution is too expensive for the moment - circa $10k once it's all done, and still a bit young, would be good to see how those people with the kit get on for a year or so first before jumping on that kit.
    MX-5 drifter dude Wazman has a Skyline trans (I think), that might be worth trying to replicate.

I am lost for cost effective transmission options otherwise, I say stick with a linear torque line of 350nm most for now (that's the kinda "safe max torque"), that gives you a peak of 220kw or so around 7000rpm. No huge power, but, more than twice stock.
    That's the logic i went with anyway.
    Last edited by bbeavis; 16-02-19 at 06:37 PM.

Tony: what did you have in the 808? That would easily survive the torque abuse from a non-restricted engine.

I think Tony ran a W58 didn't he? A few of the turbo 2B MX5 boys ran with the RB25 Skyline box. Trouble is most strong road car boxes weigh a metric shitload.
    Rust is lighter than carbon fibre.

My Italian 510

Seriously - the only solution is Holinger - there is a lower capacity version (SG) rated at 365Nm for endurance spec, then you go to SG3 which is 625Nm and RD6 which is 880Nm with prices to suit. I invested in an RD6S after years of throwing money at other stuff.

Since putting a Holinger in the car, I have not spent a penny on gearboxes. I just had the box stripped and freshened (including a new quill shaft) and it cost me less than $1500 and that box has been in the car for 8 years.

I would easily have spent twice the cost of the RD6 on gearboxes in the previous 20 years.

There are still H-Pattern RD6's around at a reasonable price. Yes, the initial ask is large, but they just work.

how much was your box when you got it?

Quote Originally Posted by Guido View Post
    I think Tony ran a W58 didn't he? A few of the turbo 2B MX5 boys ran with the RB25 Skyline box. Trouble is most strong road car boxes weigh a metric shitload.
    I think so. Not having the PPF to deal with would make it much easier too.

Whatever it was it could cope with this:
    Chris
    ------
    The new nugget
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

Quote Originally Posted by Alexg View Post
    how much was your box when you got it?
    I bought a 2nd-hand H-pattern RD6 out of Stone Bros racing (just freshened) 11 years ago for $12K just after the 12 hour had been run (was a spare box for one of the invited teams) and 3 years later traded that for a new RD6 sequential for $9K changeover (the H-pattern went to an IPRA guy but what it finished up in I don;t know) when I upgraded from quad DCOE45's to Haltech and 48mm Jenvey TB injection. My sequential purchase included the exy (Motorsport Electronics) shift lever, clutch slave, custom length quill shaft and a bell housing/adaptor.

I've had Pommie s/c gear sets in the OEM box (3 sets), then 2 s/c T5's out of a VK Commodore Group A car, then a couple of Super T-10's and I finally cracked the shits and spend a year out of competition putting money aside to get into a Holinger - they just work.

I'm pretty happy with the driveline now ... M78 diff centre out of a Falcon ute, 3" CrMo tailshaft with big uni's, the Holinger and a SACHS clutch. Has only taken 30 years to get it right

Wow, that's a pretty serious set up. The guys that have the funds to build a car properly first time actually save money.

Quote Originally Posted by BGTV8 View Post
    I bought a 2nd-hand H-pattern RD6 out of Stone Bros racing (just freshened) 11 years ago for $12K just after the 12 hour had been run (was a spare box for one of the invited teams) and 3 years later traded that for a new RD6 sequential for $9K changeover (the H-pattern went to an IPRA guy but what it finished up in I don;t know) when I upgraded from quad DCOE45's to Haltech and 48mm Jenvey TB injection. My sequential purchase included the exy (Motorsport Electronics) shift lever, clutch slave, custom length quill shaft and a bell housing/adaptor.

I've had Pommie s/c gear sets in the OEM box (3 sets), then 2 s/c T5's out of a VK Commodore Group A car, then a couple of Super T-10's and I finally cracked the shits and spend a year out of competition putting money aside to get into a Holinger - they just work.

I'm pretty happy with the driveline now ... M78 diff centre out of a Falcon ute, 3" CrMo tailshaft with big uni's, the Holinger and a SACHS clutch. Has only taken 30 years to get it right
    That's not too bad then. There's a sequential on my105 at the moment for 20k when i had a quick search then although that's near new.

So this set up is also in a mx5? I've got a few friends in the mx5 club and they always tell me of whats happening in the mx5 scene here at least in racing. One of them was talking about that guy on mx5cartalk thats been spending big on that bmw transmission conversion and just recently bought a new ctsv diff from america.

Makes me wonder why i don't see more mx5s with a faceplated t5 or a t5 from a saloon car with a custom modena/gforce dog gear set to suit. Surely they are easier to source and set up for an mx5 than something exotic like that bmw transmission.

Quote Originally Posted by bbeavis View Post
    I say stick with a linear torque line of 350nm most for now (that's the kinda "safe max torque"), that gives you a peak of 220kw or so around 7000rpm. No huge power, but, more than twice stock. That's the logic i went with anyway.
    That's pretty much where I'm heading as well. I figure 200kw will be more than enough fun, and done properly should be reasonably reliable.
    2004 MX5 SE Turbo

Quote Originally Posted by Alexg View Post
    That's not too bad then. There's a sequential on my105 at the moment for 20k when i had a quick search then although that's near new.

So this set up is also in a mx5? I've got a few friends in the mx5 club and they always tell me of whats happening in the mx5 scene here at least in racing. One of them was talking about that guy on mx5cartalk thats been spending big on that bmw transmission conversion and just recently bought a new ctsv diff from america.

Makes me wonder why i don't see more mx5s with a faceplated t5 or a t5 from a saloon car with a custom modena/gforce dog gear set to suit. Surely they are easier to source and set up for an mx5 than something exotic like that bmw transmission.
    Nope - not an MX-5.