Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: importing cars containing asbestos

Quote Originally Posted by Gats View Post
    What a bunch of absolute fucking morons. Perfect example of everything that is wrong with Australia today.

Never mind the hundreds of thousands of Telstra pits full of asbestos falling apart on footpaths, lets target a handful of cars coming in.
    Sums up my thoughts

Reading that made me quite angry

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    I'd be giving it a big miss until some sort of sensibility prevails.
    Nope too late, now they want to impound culturally significant vehicles;

"To quote from the proposed legislation, “the best way of promoting the regime would be a couple of high profile actions for the seizure and return of forfeit cultural material”. If you have a car with a significant Australia history, be nervous"

Fucking useless cunts. How about cleaning up the brand new children's hospital of all the asbestos they allowed in one that?

What next, all cars on the road must have a asbestos certificate?

Quote Originally Posted by mizone View Post
    Nope too late, now they want to impound culturally significant vehicles;

"To quote from the proposed legislation, “the best way of promoting the regime would be a couple of high profile actions for the seizure and return of forfeit cultural material”. If you have a car with a significant Australia history, be nervous"

Fucking useless cunts. How about cleaning up the brand new children's hospital of all the asbestos they allowed in one that?

What next, all cars on the road must have a asbestos certificate?
    You have the wrong end of the stick. They want to confiscate culturally significant cars that have been exported without permission. Ironically it will be illegal to bring these confiscated cars back to Australia due to their asbestos content. They could of course have the asbestos removed overseas but this process would damage a car that is supposed to be significant enough that it is worthy of protection.

Edit: ... and by the same legislation damaging a culturally significant item is illegal.
    Last edited by Old Major; 19-07-17 at 01:14 PM.
    Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

We need Duncan Gay in Federal parliament!!

i havent seen iron chef say anything about this at all? is it really as big an issue as it is made out?

Yeah, nah, AQIS carving up Shelby GT350s is fine. Nothing to worry about.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Back onto my soap box thinking that this is a load of crock cos companies can get away with it and they are picking on the peoples.

Polaris youth quad bikes recalled after traces of asbestos found

By Kathleen Calderwood

Posted 19 Jun 2017, 4:28pm

Polaris quad bike
    Owners of affected Polaris models are advised not to perform any maintenance or repairs on their quad bikes. (Supplied: Polaris)

Up to 13,000 Polaris youth quad bikes could be affected by asbestos which has prompted a nationwide recall.

Testing carried out in the US found asbestos in brake pads, brake shoes, washers and gaskets in 12 models of Polaris youth quad bikes manufactured between 2001 and 2017.

The models are advertised as suited for ages six and up.

Models affected by recall:
    •Outlaw 50, 90 and 110
    •Sportsman 90 and 110
    •Phoenix 200
    •Sawtooth 200
    •Predator 50 and 90
    •Scrambler 50 and 90
    •Ace 150

Polaris Australia country manager Alan Collins said third party testing had identified traces of asbestos, but said the risk was very low for owners and operators.

"The research and very extensive testing that we've had completed ... has come back that there were no asbestos fibres picked up in the air through the use of those vehicles," he said.

Quote Originally Posted by trdee View Post
    i havent seen iron chef say anything about this at all? is it really as big an issue as it is made out?
    Maybe they're just staying quiet to figure out how their business will survive with a 50% decrease in customers..

This is such bullshit. Simple case of "Doesn't affect me so don't give a fuck" by some pen pusher somewhere. This is going to decimate niche car imports, i for one will not even consider anything sub my2000 now.

if it really is an issue then my KP is now worth a shitload more....

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Yeah, nah, AQIS carving up Shelby GT350s is fine. Nothing to worry about.
    you always hear about horror stories over xyz law or thing, which never seems to affect anyone else... i always take shit like this with a grain of salt

if it really is an issue then my KP is now worth a shitload more....
    That's a shit attitude. Making it difficult to bring classic cars into Australia can never be a good thing, no matter how much you think it benefits you personally.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

you always hear about horror stories over xyz law or thing, which never seems to affect anyone else... i always take shit like this with a grain of salt
    Even the milder set of events with the DKW is fucked, and is a perfect example of the bullshit to be faced dealing with government department cunts who don't give a fuck.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Cal View Post
    That's a shit attitude. Making it difficult to bring classic cars into Australia can never be a good thing, no matter how much you think it benefits you personally.

calm the fuck down. i agree that the new regs, if true, are fucking gay. doesn't mean a bit of dry humour cant be had though

calm the fuck down. i agree that the new regs, if true, are fucking gay. doesn't mean a bit of dry humour cant be had though
    No need to swear, cunt.
    The most dangerous risk of all - the risk of spending your life not doing what you want, on the bet you can buy yourself the freedom to do it later. - Randy Komisar.

also did some digging, found this from iron chef: https://www.pomsinoz.com/topic/19416...-to-australia/

Ok so Australian Border Force (formerly known as Customs), in its infinite wisdom, has decided that vehicle components with asbestos are now somehow a 'thing' and are wanting declarations from importers to say that their vehicles don't contain any asbestos. This change was made without any prior warning and we had customers with vehicles on the water that have now been sent for asbestos testing.

To make your life a whole lot easier before you leave, ask your local workshop to write a note on their letterhead/service document to say that your vehicle does not have any parts that contain asbestos. They are generally looking at older cars. The most likely culprits are brake pads and other gaskets in the engine and transmission.

The idea behind this is that, somehow, they will prevent someone changing the parts from contracting asbestosis, but if there are parts that are found to have asbestos in them, what must be done? The parts must be changed... red tape at its finest.

If you have any questions, fire away.

^ Good idea, will ensure i get the local BMW dealer to write that letter for the e46 to save any stupid hassles. I'll likely get Iron Chef to assist importing my car for me anyway as i don't want to screw it up!

More information about the DKW import fiasco.

http://heinkelscooter.blogspot.com.a...rning-new.html

thread bump... Is this an ongoing saga or has everything calmed down? Aside from the people who got caught off guard when the rules first started being enforced this year there doesn't seem to be too much else to read about it...

Its not a short term problem for me, but something I want to stay on top of.. especially if its going to be worth it for me to keep receipts/packaging etc. for any parts I use/swap/upgrade in the next few years to demonstrate that there is no asbestos
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraud View Post
    thread bump... Is this an ongoing saga or has everything calmed down? Aside from the people who got caught off guard when the rules first started being enforced this year there doesn't seem to be too much else to read about it...

Its not a short term problem for me, but something I want to stay on top of.. especially if its going to be worth it for me to keep receipts/packaging etc. for any parts I use/swap/upgrade in the next few years to demonstrate that there is no asbestos
    I hear it's an ongoing thing. Suspect it's gone quiet because the importers aren't bringing anything in.

Some importers are bringing cars and parts in no worries. Others are copping the studded gauntlet up the jacksie.

The concerning thing is it doesn't appear to be happening at all ports and customs facilities.

Quote Originally Posted by Fraud View Post
    thread bump... Is this an ongoing saga or has everything calmed down?
    Yes, it's as strong as ever.

Call BossKraft to help you get a Australian asbestos's certificate whilst in the US. I'm told they can do the remediation works as well.

Good to see someone over there has picked up on it as an opportunity, how much cost does it add I wonder? I know Shermatt was offering the same sort of thing (not lab testing though just removing relevant parts and replacing with compliant stuff)
    Hide yo' wife!!!

There was certainly a business opportunity there. We now need similar businesses in the UK, Japan etc.

Fuck Is there a definitive list of what bits of car they want to check? I know I've got some cracked seam sealer and other things to replace, I don't particularly want to get it all replaced/repainted and THEN have it chipped away for testing.. One overly keen guy did his own testing on his C10 just for piece of mind and came back with some comforting results http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...1&postcount=17

but yes, definitely glad someone has taken the opportunity to help some people out and make some money, thanks for the tip mizone... I'm at least a few years away from needing it, this will be the last thing I want to deal with when I'm in the middle of moving back to Aus one day so trying to stay ahead.
    Quote Originally Posted by myshortyboomba View Post
    I've had many gauges in cars. I always found the conrods react faster than a gauge.

you can always hear them when they break and they stop the engine immediately so you can't do any more damage.

No definitive list but from what I've seen - head/intake/exhaust gaskets, brake linings, underbody protection, firewall and under bonnet linings.
    Hide yo' wife!!!

Quote Originally Posted by piss98 View Post
    No definitive list but from what I've seen - head/intake/exhaust gaskets, brake linings, underbody protection, firewall and under bonnet linings.
    Clutch friction material, interior sound deadening.
    They also went for the fibreglass bonnet on the Shelby, and the roof lining.

Caulking, fabric covered wiring.

Quote Originally Posted by piss98 View Post
    GT350 Mustang and the NSU thingo in Perfs got the full over.

Wish they did that to the Kiddies hospital roof panels. Damn stuff is solid asbestos.

They also need to do it to all imported vehicles. Audi through to ZX need to be done, not just picking on the personal enthusiast importers.

yeah but high volume car makers are good for society. you cant fuck with any of the big players because trickle down economics bruh