Thread: Accuratley 3D modeling suspension?

Accuratley 3D modeling suspension?

Hi all,

So i want to completely change up the front suspension on my GT4 Celica.
    I have some ideas in mind, but really i need to first 3D model the factory setup so i can then work out the effects of using the Prius up-rights (dont laugh, it looks like they will do the job well), different length LCA's, strut mounting points, etc, etc.

Any tips on how i should accurately measure and model the suspension from the car?
    I was thinking of laying a big sheet of paper under the suspension corner, then using a plumb bob to draw the mounting points on that paper, also noting the height of the point off the ground.
    Any better suggestions?

Thanks

Watch The first four Project Blinky episodes?

Interested.

Quote Originally Posted by MWP View Post
    Any tips on how i should accurately measure and model the suspension from the car?
    I was thinking of laying a big sheet of paper under the suspension corner, then using a plumb bob to draw the mounting points on that paper, also noting the height of the point off the ground.
    Any better suggestions?

Thanks
    Unless you've got access to a FARO arm, that's about as good as you'll get. Estimating the centres of the BJs and bushes is going to be the biggest source of error.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

If you are really keen I would pull the suspension apart and measure the body pickups like you said. Then measure all the arms separately and model in solidworks or equivelant.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Susprog3D is the only modelling program I have tried. It's now $300.
    Are you optimistic or pessimistic about the end of the world?

Yea but doesn't help you getting the point into it. There is another one called kinetic something but is about 1200.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling

Quote Originally Posted by PLAYA View Post
    If you are really keen I would pull the suspension apart and measure the body pickups like you said. Then measure all the arms separately and model in solidworks or equivelant.
    Thanks, yeah i'll do exactly that.

I think ill measure the sprung points while fitted on the car as well though as a second reference.

Oh dude you are in Adelaide, I didn't even realise, where do you live I will come scan your shit when it is apart and it will pick up body points pretty good.
    3D scanning
    3D modelling
    Structural certification
    3 and 5 axis milling