Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Swift Gti Motec M4

It wasnt the most secure car, probably wouldve started with a paddlepop stick at that stage. I do remember it having some kind of immobiliser though. Its a shame really. No doubt if it pops up again it will have been torque steered into a gutter/roundabout/tree.

So did you end up figuring it out dude?

Took it around to Jase for him to have a look. Because I am running a pre 3000 serial numbered M4 it needs a certain Motec PCI cable that we didnt have. Jase tidied a few things up and suspects the TPS has shit the bed. From what I have read it I may also need a software update unit for the laptop to talk with the ECU. Will be taking it over to a Motec here in Brissie in the next couple of weeks.

I had a Motec M4 in my race car 20 years ago (Datto 1600 with FJ20 turbo), from memory it had an enrichment setting for starting cold, that declined as water temp increased. Maybe this setting is not right on yours and it stays rich as it warms up. That setup ran MAP to determine load, didnt have a TPS. It used TPS when it was NA, with the same ECU, in an earlier iteration of the car.

It had a proprietary cable to connect to the laptop, which i think you have discovered, the tuning software had a pretty daggy GUI by today's standards, but it was very functional and even had some data logging capability. You might want to see if you can still get the tuning software from Motec if your guy Jase doesn't have it, or find out if the current software is backwards compatible With the M4.
    Last edited by Sprinkles; 06-05-17 at 10:13 AM.

Cheers Sprinkles. We downloaded earlier versions of the software but no dice. Just didnt want to talk to the ECU without that PCI cable. Just an issue because pre 3000 serialed unit

Finally got the Swift sorted. After taking a closer look at the entire loom, and realizing how shonky most of the wiring was, I bit the bullet and got a new loom made up for it. Then proceeded to get a new tune put in it as well. The little thing made 195 hpatw. Fun thing to drive now. The car only weighs about 830 kg with me in it so puts a smile on your face

Well worth the effort then. Would be great fun with those numbers.
    Lots of minis & mokes including a G13b powered Sports Sedan, a couple of Swift Gtis, a Goggomobil, 928S, Polo Gti, BMW 540i, a WRX and a Navara with the deadly ZD30

Cheers mate. Its fun when it comes on boost in 1st and 2nd gear. Just fries tyres. Doesn't help that I have shitty old Dunlops on it. It only has 185 60 13's on it at the moment so will try to put a bit more tyre on it me thinks.

Good shit dude. A good result in the end.

Cheers. Took nopics for a drive and scared the shit out of her. She refuses to get back in it so I know its good enough.

That's rather good. If you ever want to move this one let me know :-)
    DJ's don't need sigs

Cheers DJ. Not a bad result for 12 psi. Without going for a converted 4wd box not really worth pushing it any more than that.

Great to hear it's sorted. Hopefully you wont be needing to find an awd box for it too soon. I only ever stripped 1 c&p in mine but it was out of a 3cyl box lol. Then changed to baleno diff and c&p and now using a 1600 sedan box with sport internals. Hope to be getting new manifold, turbo and dump pipe in the next week or 2 with a bit of a hp increase

Yeah hopefully. Yours already runs over 200hpatw? You going twin scroll?

Yea, 215atw. Going twin scroll. Wanting 250ish atw with better spool.