Thread: Lithium battery

Lithium battery

The battery just died in my car. Was a harley battery fiberglass matt type one 400cca. Looking at a lithium i think since weight is a factor. 2 litre turbo with the battery in the boot. Looking at this one, unless someone can point me to a better option?

http://m.ebay.com.au/itm/MOTOCELL-GO...%257Ciid%253A1
    Last edited by SR20 KE30; 16-04-17 at 05:19 PM.
    meh

meh

Just make sure you check the charging specs. Most have different requirements of higher voltages and lower amperage. Car alternator continually overcharges it, so they die pretty quickly (no warranty too).
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.

Lithium batteries require controled charging, so unless the batt has an inbuilt controller, it wont work without adding such to the car.

Improved Production Racer Datman's Avatar
    I know some guys using the "Anti Gravity" brand. No problems reported at this stage, but you will need the proper charger for it.
    I'll be using one of the 16 cell units in my car soon also.
    When the flag drops...............the bullshit stops!
    Go Hard..........or Go Home!

VW Amarok - Daily
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Limited) - Nopics
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD
    SR20DET Powered IPRA Datsun Sunny = 400hp @ Wheels - SOLD

I noticed that a lot of the sizes for this brand had special charging requirements, the ones for all the jap bikes. This one doesn't list any but i guess is an expensive way to find out, will see if i can find more info.
    meh

http://earthxbatteries.com/engine-ch...hium-batteries found this. is interesting, i will see what info i can find on an sr20 alternator.
    meh

3 kg in a 900kg car is critical? Really?
    Just put another AGM in it ad take a really good shit before driving.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Improved Production Racer Datman's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    3 kg in a 900kg car is critical? Really?
    Just put another AGM in it ad take a really good shit before driving.
    Every little bit counts. I find also, that as soon as you "settle" for one heavier option, all of a sudden you start "settling" on other things...."it's only X kilograms heavier that's ok" Before you know it, you are carrying an extra 20-30kg's.

The AntiGravity battery weighs around 1.5kg, so pretty light.
    When the flag drops...............the bullshit stops!
    Go Hard..........or Go Home!

VW Amarok - Daily
    2014 Jeep Grand Cherokee (Limited) - Nopics
    2001 S15 - IPRA Build
    VE SS Redline Ute - SOLD
    SR20DET Powered IPRA Datsun Sunny = 400hp @ Wheels - SOLD

Quote Originally Posted by Datman View Post
    Every little bit counts. I find also, that as soon as you "settle" for one heavier option, all of a sudden you start "settling" on other things...."it's only X kilograms heavier that's ok" Before you know it, you are carrying an extra 20-30kg's.

The AntiGravity battery weighs around 1.5kg, so pretty light.
    Look, i'm currently weighing every change I make to my Katana - but that's something where an extra kilo can be felt given it's only 200kg all up...
    I run a little Oddysey in my GTV - it weighs ~950kg. I can add or subtract 3kg from the back of the car with 4 litres of fuel, and the difference is fuckall - can feel the difference 20l of fuel makes though.
    3 kg saving for a $300+ battery of questionable reliability seems like an expensive change that can hardly be noticed. Sure, I know plenty of people with lithiums in bikes with no problems, but I also know people who have had no end of problems with them - they're especially a problem if your charging system sucks.
    There's plenty of other places I'd go hell for leather looking for weight loss before replacing a 4kg battery with one that's 1/4 the weight at 4+ times the cost - it's not like it's a conventional car sized battery to start with.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

It is what datman said, just counting kilos, 3kg is not much, but if you stop counting it adds up. My battery died and im looking at options. After much research i have come to the conclusion that you just stated, it's a bit too early for the technology and it's not worth the risk. Maybe in a few years it will be viable, tbh your input would have been much appreciated sooner. To replace the agm seems to be around $250 these days, i swear i paid less the first time, so the lithium potentially seemed viable, after research i think in about 5 years it will be, but not yet.
    Last edited by SR20 KE30; 20-04-17 at 09:51 PM.
    meh

I would have thought you'd be into a decent agm for half that. I think I paid around $60 for a YT14

I was using that deka brand, it's American and pricey it seems. I found a seadoo one instead in a different brand for $100 with the same external dimensions, so no need to modify my holder.
    meh

Have a read through some previous threads on here, I think issues with lithiums are overstated. I ran my SR20 track car on a 1.1kg SSB brand lithium and now I've put it in my LSx FD project (not yet running). I've only just bought a lithium specific charger for it, cost around $120.

Im running a Lithiumax one.. its like 2yrs old now.. i think its 550cca or 650cca or similar, and weighs 1.8kg

I did nothing special to the alternator or anything, its fine

You will require a Lithium specific charger, i never drive my car so i always have it on trickle charge with my Ctek charger (it was about $120)..

They have low amp hours so after 2 weeks of it sitting there you'll drain the battery without a trickle charge (not that it matters, ive drained mine to 1.5v or similar output before)

Cold starts my large cammed + ethanol RB26 no dramas

SSB lithium batteries are fine with good old fashioned battery chargers. I've let my SSB battery go flat on my bike a couple of times. 10 minutes on my 25 year old Arlec charger and it is usually good to go. The SSBs don't need special balancing chargers.
    If you dig a hole and it is in the wrong place, digging it deeper isn't going to help.

Police warn that blow-up dolls are not recognised floatation devices.

SSB battery I put in the mower isn't happy (it was a good fit and the same price roughly as lead acids). Looks like it might have dropped a cell.

Link above provides a reasonable indication of why. Would be nice if they were a bit clearer in their specs or built in filtering into the charge circuit.
    302 Ford Windsor Technical Forums

Quote Originally Posted by rollin7
    but I'm seriously in love with this thing ...the pure uselessness and dickheadness of this mustang makes it the most enjoyable car I've ever driven, its fucking STUPIDLY loud for no reason, it gos real fast but wont slow down, they have made the suspension real hard and yet and it wont corner worth a shit. theres something very Aussie about it, like the drunk guy who makes a hat out of watermelon.

Quote Originally Posted by Banzai View Post
    SSB lithium batteries are fine with good old fashioned battery chargers. I've let my SSB battery go flat on my bike a couple of times. 10 minutes on my 25 year old Arlec charger and it is usually good to go. The SSBs don't need special balancing chargers.
    Yeah they do. New chargers ramp up the current output when starting, kind of like the rejuvenation function on older ones. They whack a whole heap of current into the battery when first connected, then settle into a routine cycle until its charged. Without you knowing it, you already have one with a fixed output. If its that old its either a trickle charger that puts out less than 1amp, or it's at the most a 4amp charger which is still below the maximum the battery will take. The problem is charging it on a car alternator too. I just replaced a dead HVT battery with like for like when I was intending to go lithium, they wont warrant anything but the pro series lithium batteries for use in cars. They need a constant output to stop them from being damaged. It was a difference of nearly $600 to save 7kg.
    Last edited by Madhatr; 26-04-17 at 10:30 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Buford T. Justice
    This happens every time one of these floozies starts poontangin' around with those show folk fags.