Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Honda Z50A Monkey Bike

Original cases. All Takegawa bits - DOHC 4 valve 124cc, 5 speed, dry clutch.

At the end of the day, it had everything done, but wasn't as 'fun' as a simple cheap build.

Good luck with your A build. The headlight bucket and side cover you have are two of the hard bits to get. Find the original tail light bracket and you're set.

Quote Originally Posted by QABB View Post

At the end of the day, it had everything done, but wasn't as 'fun' as a simple cheap build.

Good luck with your A build. The headlight bucket and side cover you have are two of the hard bits to get. Find the original tail light bracket and you're set.
    Where did you ride it? When I threw money on minis we raced mini motard at lakeside or gambled getting chased by the rozzers in the bush
    Quote Originally Posted by Faux Forg View Post
    I agree with Rdyno

Quote Originally Posted by Milkman Don View Post
    Will this project get finished?

Awesome keeping from the olds, so much stuff gets tipped over the years without thought. I've seen a few builds of these and like QABB says above they are a money vortex.
    It will be finished. I've had it too long not to.
    Plus my kid already is asking why "his bike" has taken longer than 2 weekends to finish.

Quote Originally Posted by QABB View Post

I'd love a crate Takegawa engine but that's never going to happen.
    I'll either rebuild this with a 88cc kit and just ride it or stick a Daytona 125 or Daytona 150 in it.
    Either way I think I'll get a bracket welded on for a rear brake pedal now before paint in case I need to run a clutch lever.

Other random things to bring the thread up to date.

The old wheels were trashed. They are a 2 half design and were rusted solidly together.
    I couldn't even get the other wheel apart.

Nice new OEM wheels. I'm sticking with original 8" rims but will run road tyres.

Engine dress up things, new oil seals, screws, etc etc.
    I'll have to refinish rather than replace the clutch cover as the new ones don't have the same engravings as the original.

I've got giant ziplock bags full of parts everywhere. One for each area of the bike.
    This is the bag for the forks. Every part will be brand new except the lower legs that I will have to get rechromed.
    I think I'll pick up some JZ sliders as well as they tighten up any play in the front end.

New OEM seat.

Chain guard is going to need some work but I'll straighten it up now so it can go and get rechromed at the same time as the fork lowers.

I gave the original handlebars a quick clean up.
    Unfortunately one bar has had a bolt welded into the mount at some point in the past.
    I may still splash out on a brand new pair just because.

I agree with your young bloke, hurry up and finish it.
    Joe will be boosting up the streets sucking shit tins of Methanol and popping purple flames!!

I need to get some odds and ends like fork legs, chain guards and bearing races chromed. Any recommendations in Brisbane?

I also want to get the hubs drilled out so I can run larger brake cams from the later model bikes to fit extended brake arms.
    Anyone I can trust to do this? It's a simple drill out but I would have a hard time finding replacement if they aren't done correctly.

Quote Originally Posted by <---cop View Post
    It will be finished. I've had it too long not to.
    Plus my kid already is asking why "his bike" has taken longer than 2 weekends to finish.
    What is taking so long. Don't let the kid down!?!?!?!!1
    Previously known as Lobster, Chuss's brother's anus, Chuss's brother, Lobsook, Lobstersock, Socks, Sockz, MissAmericaImportGirl, ClutchCLobster

CJM 4 Life yo!

I need to get some odds and ends like fork legs, chain guards and bearing races chromed. Any recommendations in Brisbane?

I also want to get the hubs drilled out so I can run larger brake cams from the later model bikes to fit extended brake arms.
    Anyone I can trust to do this? It's a simple drill out but I would have a hard time finding replacement if they aren't done correctly.
    Heard good things about East Coast Electroplating in Brendale in the past, have not used them myself however. I have a feeling they aren't cheap, but I can't imagine anyone still doing that shit would be.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.

I've got a guy, but he's out at Blacksoil.
    Pics of the job?
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Just looking at the pics on the other page - i reckon if you could find another front hub and backing plate you could relatively easily convert to a double sided drum....
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Sketchy View Post
    Heard good things about East Coast Electroplating in Brendale in the past, have not used them myself however. I have a feeling they aren't cheap, but I can't imagine anyone still doing that shit would be.
    Yeah everyone is crazy expensive. Things like the lower fork legs I've had to buy now because I can get new Honda ones from Japan delivered for half the price of getting a local to rechrome them.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    I've got a guy, but he's out at Blacksoil.
    Pics of the job?
    So the early hardtails like mine run a smaller brake cam than the later bikes.

Late model on top, early model below.
    Mine haven't arrived yet so I can't measure them.

If I get the plates drilled to take the bigger cams I can use aftermarket longer and stronger brake arms.
    There's nothing available for the early bikes. Apparently there is enough meat to drill them out.
    The easy way is to swap to the late model plates but they look shit.

Stock pressed brake arm.

Takegawa arms to suit the bigger cams.

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Just looking at the pics on the other page - i reckon if you could find another front hub and backing plate you could relatively easily convert to a double sided drum....
    I don't think I've ever seen that.
    I'll see how it goes with better shoes and more leverage but I like quirky.

Is the late model brake cams swap a common thing? I'd be concerned about how much boss is left after it's bored.
    Looking at the pics, converting to double sided drum would be a case of a cable splitter (use a Suzuki GT750 unit or early Yam TD/TZ), bore the hub out of one drum and countersink the stud holes, then bolt up with countersunk bolts instead of the normal hex (although, depending on how deep the shoes run, you may be able to use a normal or low height hex head. Would go drum, rim, rim, Drum with hub. I'm assuming the rim halves are the same side to side?

Yeah it's a reasonably common thing and a few have done it.
    It does look really close so I'll have to measure it when they turn up. Worse case scenario I go with the ugly plates.

Yeah rims halves are identical.

Just realised - only issue with a double drum arrangement is that you'd lose the speedo drive - would also have to trim the speedo drive lugs off the hub.
    I could do the machining for the twin drum conversion, but I'd defer the backing plate mods to my mate.

There's actually an off the shelf disc brake conversion for them as well that I can head towards later if I want to.

Here's the better arms on the ugly backing plate option with an 8" rim.

Later backing plate is no doubt stiffer - is it just the raised section between the cam boss and the axle boss that's the ugly bit?

Yep, they have just reinforced them and made them stiffer. Otherwise interchangeable.

Original

Revised
    Last edited by <---cop; 04-05-17 at 03:51 PM.

Tank was a bit rusty inside as expected.

I did the old trick of filling it with vinegar and adding a heap of salt to make a sodium acetate and hydrochloric acid solution and eat the rust.
    Shook, emptied, refilled etc for a week then finally rinsed it out with water and baking soda then flushed with fuel.

Came up pretty good. I was planning to seal it with Red Kote but then I started stripping the outside of the tank.

It's a fucking mess.

Dents and putty everywhere, fibreglassing patches underneath on seams, pin holes, dents.
    Kinda of walked away from it at this point. I'll bare metal it and then see if it's worth saving.
    I don't remember it being repaired like this and wasn't expecting it at all.

Holy shit, that looks like it was bombed in WW2

Leave it like that for Ratbike feelz?

lol it would be a perfect ratbike tank.

The last of the bits also turned up for the front end to build it completely from new OEM parts.

I'll polish up the stem bearing races and see how they look before I think about chroming them.

I'm trying to dismantle the speedo drive to rebuild it but there is the world tiniest blind brass screw in the aluminum housing and it almost stripped completely the first turn of a screwdriver