Thread: Pikes Peak 2017?

Pikes Peak 2017?

Planning a US trip and I will be in the vicinity end of June-ish.

I see the moons could align here - anyone been? I see they will have live coverage this year... but I'm thinking LIVE. I'm thinking it's not going to be overly spectator friendly and I'll probably have to be up at 3 or something to get to a vantage point.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

It'll be cold, even in summer and likely to rain. There's probably a reason all the pics you see don't show any spectators.

I really want to drive to the top of that mountain.
    I've driven half way up in a borrowed honda MDX until I got to the double cut (I think, the corner in the pic below), where it was closed due to snow. We are heading back in october, so hopefully the snow holds back.

Ya'll don't know what it's like. Being male, middle class and white.

Last time I went was 2008. We had to be in position by 0500 ish from memory and basically where you get to is where you stay until there is a break. As above, cold and very possibly wet. Also remember you are at 12,000 odd feet so if you are a bit old, like I am, altitude can have an effect on you. I was only two months before a heart attack at the time and had difficulty at the top, had been there twice before with no issues so maybe I should have realised something was wrong.

Not a great spectator sport in my opinion, but you do see some awesome cars.
    Radical SR3
    HSV R8

As above, not a great spectator sport and although I got to see some cool shit it kinda felt like a waste of time.

Drove it in 2009 while it was still half gravel and went to the race, drove again in 2012 when it was all paved but wasn't there for the race.

They've ruined it by paving it.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkicker View Post
    How many blowjobs to pay off that debt?

\/ \/ My motivation \/ \/ ALLMTR's Avatar
    LS2 VS Commodore 12.4 at 115mph

"Reacher figured if he could put that drivetrain in some battered old sedan body, then that would be his kind of car"

Nah. Going for a wedding in Vale on 7/7 so looking for events around

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

interesting to hear the different experiences

I reckon it would be like most hill climbs, hang around the pits to see the cars and talk to driver's/crew, see the start for the elevens, and then wait for them to come back, just on a much longer scale.

Like most hill climbs probably more fun for the competitors than the spectators.

But still would be a great event to tick off.

Sent from my XT1635-02 using Tapatalk

Was introduced to the Peak back in the 80s. I had heard the Name but nothing more. Then watching it on some show.. Wide world of sports I think (must have been a brief moment they had a lack of horse racing events to cover).
    They had strapped a Movie camera (no GoPro's back then) to the Front spoiler/Air dam of a champ car and let him rip a hot lap up the hill. She was ALL Dirt back then. Fuck me that thing flew. I would guess most of us would fall out of the car a nervous wreck if we had ride along. I've watched Rally at night, and those guys are still fast. But that Peak footage was insane.

Real life. Went to the King of the Mountain in SA few years ago now and watched a Yellow XY Falc get brutally man handled up the valley road.. Thinks this car is/was an IP car?. Im a GM guy But, you know your an Old sckool guy when you hear these fuckers coming hammer and tongs.

Guess thats my first intro lol.