Thread: Spend my money cunts.

Spend my money cunts.

Hey Guys.

So looking to flesh out my workshop.

Well it's got fuck all in it now, so anything is an improvement.

I'm looking pretty good for small tools etc, but have decided a smallish lathe and mill would be fantastic.

How Shit are the hafco jobbies and the like on eBay?

Ideally I'd find some old awesome historic looking stuff for good prices and all that Hollywood. But I'm not that good at scrounging.

Main jobs will be making small bits and pieces for the bike frames and fucking about on cars etc. Nothing amazing or incredibly intricate, but I'm hoping to do some basic machining classes at tafe so who knows What I will manage to get up to lol...

So any tips, brands, cool stories or even Leeds on cool stuff hit me up. Have a limited budget but am expecting to pay something in the order of 4 to 5g..

Sent from my HTC 2PS6200 using Tapatalk
    RIP Carly - a smile to light the world.
    06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

If your making small shit, buy a small lathe
    Bigger aint better, I went from a 12x14 mini lathe to the decent sized engineering shop jobbing lathe and its shit for making small bits and pieces -but great for turning down and parting off a 180mm pin etc
    I do miss that mini lathe.

Recommend a gear head drill press (get a good used one) with a mid range chinese keyless chuck.
    Changing belts and pulleys is fucking shit and you never do it, keyed chucks are just as fucked to use.
    Last edited by dnegative; 24-04-17 at 09:09 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

A 38mm.borw would be nice because I'd be able to face the forks properly... But in reality a 20mm bore was what I was mainly expecting

06/07/2011

http://www.performanceforums.com/for...#post842594902 - making little toys for the big boys

Buy a $700 7x14, learn how to use that and go from there is you want something bigger.
    Quote Originally Posted by cracka View Post
    Fuck I'm retarded

Opens
    I'd expect the problem down there will be virtually zero second-hand market, so you're stuck with buying new....and the smallest h & f thing I'd consider that has any quality, a 960, pretty much blows your budget just for the lathe.

I wouldn't agree bigger is worse either, other than floorspace or power requirements - unless you're buying an old pos that's designed to use hss and too slow for carbide. Keyed chucks may be a pain, but use a hole saw or annular cutter in a keyless and it will be fucked in short order if you have any torque available!

Last edited by Faux Forg; 25-04-17 at 10:32 AM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Marlin
    Chickens will slip under water in the cover of darkness like a seal team and FUCK YOU UP.

That's pretty rad... No 3 phase but have a mate who is a good sparky... I think there are ways of converting 3 to single?

How's something like this look?

06/07/2011

BOOSTFARKIN
    Meh my lathe is hafco al356 (14x40) other then changing cheese grade screws changing the oils and generally just pulling it apart and finishing it properly. It's a good thing.

Ie after fucking around its TIR on the 3 jaw is less then 0.02mm.

13mm drill blank 25 mm from Chuck Jaws.

Stuff buying a drill buy a small milling maching or mill drill thingy.

BTW Hafco etc is branded grizzly in the US

Yeah OK that makes a lot of sense (hafco and grizzly lol)

The mill thing I posted up above, any chop? Mostly it will be used for drilling and facing things and stuff for the bikes again.

But once I start learning how to do stuff I'm sure I'll want to do all sorts of stupid stuff...

06/07/2011

BOOSTFARKIN
    Mill drill thingy is a rf 45 clone which is the same as the hafco hm46 .

They are not bad but like my lathe it needs finishing.

I actually also have a hm48 that has the DRO etc and power feeds etc.

If i had the money i would of bought something that had more power and rigidity both lathe and milling machine but in saying that both my machines can do most of what i want it just takes a bit longer to do.

And probably not Chinese.

I have an AL320G, and love it, its a really good lathe. Not so little though, and so it is still back in Adelaide and i never get to use it
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

You poor fucker... All your cool stuff is stuck on radelaide... Lol.

Will look at that one. It seems the beat value if I realllllly want the 38mm bore. But with shipping it will stretch the friendship with the mill... :s

06/07/2011

Quote Originally Posted by dnegative View Post
    Recommend a gear head drill press (get a good used one) with a mid range chinese keyless chuck.
    Changing belts and pulleys is fucking shit and you never do it, keyed chucks are just as fucked to use.
    This man knows. Go second hand (working one) and do a refurb, it costs SFA to swap out a few bearings and give it a clean.

Quote Originally Posted by fantapants View Post
    You poor fucker... All your cool stuff is stuck on radelaide... Lol.

Will look at that one. It seems the beat value if I realllllly want the 38mm bore. But with shipping it will stretch the friendship with the mill... :s

Haha, point was that they come up cheap enough occasionally.
    Chris
    ------
    I cant get no sleep...
    AE86 race car thread is finally up to date | Supposedly i have a new daily project too
    I never saw a wild thing sorry for itself. A small bird will drop frozen dead from a bough without ever having felt sorry for itself. - D.H.Lawrence

So before I pull the trigger, anyone got any last minute advice on this? Or anyone feeling like they have a great deal for me?

Thinking this lathe..
    And this mill... The mill has the dro option fitted...

I can only think of one job that I really want a 38mm bore on the lathe. Other than than I recon I can get away with a smaller girl. Would I really hate my life.with a slightly smaller lathe and saving a grand?

06/07/2011

well your probably not going to be building stroker cranks with it lolz.

so what do you intend to machine with it? does it have a hollow chuck so you can stick long shit out the side?
    Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno
    70ynu has to be the most retarded cunt here. "Help me please" me "you need to remove your head" him "fuck off cunt I'm to lazy fuck off out of my thread you told me to do something I don't want to do so you're a cunt fuck off can some one please tell me an easier way???"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tripper
    Its a tight battle between you and rogercordia for the most retarded member on here, thou i think you have it by 5 window licks

The main use I can foresee if making small bits for my bike frames, and various cool toys for cars. Nothing large, not planning on doing flywheel and such lol.

The 38mm bore is so I can poke forks through and machine the bearing seat accurately.

Again, with the mill, it will spend it's days as a glorified drill press really, but there are jobs where I know it will be handy.

Mainly making standoffs and jigs etc for the frame building adventures...

Lathe will also be used a lot to notch the tubing for the frame. Fixtures for various tubes will mount up and the lathe will run the hole saw...

06/07/2011

I've got that milling machine, had it for 1.5 years. My requirements are similar to yours, and I would say its been quite satisfactory. Be aware that at that price some of the fruit attached to it in the pic you posted isn't included, eg the drip tray and the 3 axis controller.

Edit: I also have a fairly small lathe, given to me by my grandfather. I love it dearly, due to being a family heirloom, but if I was buying one I would get a bigger one, it can be quite frustrating trying to machine bigger parts.
    Last edited by Sprinkles; 28-06-17 at 11:03 PM.

Yeah for some reason the live wouldn't change when I selected the dro model. The dro model comes in at 2700...

Glad to hear it's been OK

06/07/2011