Thread: Ignition piggyback that can advance timing?

Ignition piggyback that can advance timing?

Hi all, long time lurker here, first post, hope someone can help me.

Ignition piggybacks have no problem retarding ignition timing. They simply received the spark signal from the ECU, delay it, then pass it on to the coil. All good if you are strapping on a turbo and you want retarded timing.

However, I am looking to adjust the timing on a NA car (2013 Suzuki Swift Sport), and want the option to both advance and retard the stock timing. The challenge with advancing ignition is that (in theory) the firing signal needs to be sent to the coil by the piggyback BEFORE the ECU actually sends it.

I am not interested in a wholesale replacement of the stock ECU, as it's mostly doing what I want. I've got fuel adjustment covered with a 14point7 UAFC, which I will do a detailed review on after it's had another run on the track in a few weeks. It's not practical to move the crank angle sensor and cam sensors, too much machining involved.

I am hoping that the solution is that there's a piggyback out there that can retard ignition past 360 degrees. EG If I want 5 degrees of advance, I set the piggy to 715 degrees of retard, I don't get spark for the first rotation of the engine, then it's all good. But I don't know if such a unit exists, and Master Tuner Google hasn't come up with anything helpful.

Suggestions welcome!

Here's the info on the fuel piggy:

Ultra Air Fuel Controller | 14Point7
    https://www.14point7.com
    Highly tuneable Fuel Management unit: $125, universal compatibility, 16x16 fuel map, datalogging, USB, 2 year warranty, money back guarantee. Get tuning now!

Long time lurker that joined in april, are you looking to fiddle the timing or sell your piggyback ?

Quote Originally Posted by Fondles View Post
    Long time lurker that joined in april, are you looking to fiddle the timing or sell your piggyback ?
    Fiddle the timing. Piggyback is a keeper, the stock ECU runs too rich above 6,000,

Msd 6al

Quote Originally Posted by Euronymous View Post
    Msd 6al
    Cheers Euro I'll check it out

or you could advance the CAS by like 50 degrees and retard the entire Ignition map to suit?

fraught with danger, but would work.

Oo___oO

Quote Originally Posted by burn is weird View Post
    or you could advance the CAS by like 50 degrees and retard the entire Ignition map to suit?

fraught with danger, but would work.
    When you say "Advance the CAS", do you mean physically move it?

Quote Originally Posted by Sprinkles View Post
    When you say "Advance the CAS", do you mean physically move it?
    Crank angle sensor rather than Cam angle.
    Yeah, either clock it, or clock the trigger wheel. May throw some wierdness if it doesn't see the Cam angle sensor when it's expecting though.
    "Where can we get hold of a Vincent Black Shadow?" "Whats that?" "A fantastic bike," I said. "The new model is something like two thousand cubic inches, developing two hundred brake-horsepower at four thousand revolutions per minute on a magnesium frame with two styrofoam seats and a total curb weight of exactly two hundred pounds."

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    Crank angle sensor rather than Cam angle.
    Yeah, either clock it, or clock the trigger wheel. May throw some wierdness if it doesn't see the Cam angle sensor when it's expecting though.
    Yeah, nah, the CAS is solid mounted in the block, and the cam sensor would also need to be moved just the right amount to keep them in sync, way too much machining. Thanks anyway. But you have given me an idea, maybe I can get R's in Japan to advance the entire ignition table 10 degrees, then I insert a piggy to retard everything 10 degrees, then reduce the retard where I want advance.

Cheers.

Unichip can advance timing.