Page 1 of 5 12345 LastLast

Thread: Morris mini

Morris mini

So I got this from another PF member.

no real plans for it bar a bigger engine.

(yes I'm cutting down on cars. This is half the size of 1 car.)

i think its a deluxe with 850 bits. Has deluxe tags but has 850 doors and roof lining. I'm unsure of year as of yet.

currently fitted with a 998cc. still deciding which motor to put it. will atleast be a 1275. but I'm currently looking at an 8port motor also. so who knows lol

may swap the contesstas out for different wheels and have some a032s put on.

I've got some brand new cibie superoscars here which I'm thinking of fitting on the italian job light bar mount.

maybe a tan bonnet strap.

other than that its probably the best out of teh minis I've had. or atleast one good one. first one had a big engine but was hot pink, second was auto so wife could drive but in a sad state. otherws werent even worth really keeping haha.

what on the mini warrants modified Vic club plates ?

weren't you moving overseas?

coilovers i think

not 100% sure on the move yet. so until then I will buy cars as needed lol

Has an early 850 front valance panel with no brake cut outs too... Has it got a hole in the floor for the 850 gear change?

thats what I was thinking. Never had an 850. whats the differences? I have to sus out if it has a hole on the floor actually. no floor start either.

Saw this on one of the FB mini groups. Nice.

I have an 850 too (and a clubman)

I think there are a heap of closet mini owners on here. Perhaps minis need their own section
    Last edited by too_much_boost; 01-05-17 at 12:40 PM.
    Disclaimer: I may have no idea what I am talking about

where at? i dont have fb so might have been old owner haha.

minis ftw. its minis and land rovers that im addicted to,

Sorry my mistake. Might have been ausmini i saw it

I think there's M plates because of the motor, the lady was asking me if the motor was the one that came with the car. I said it's a 1960s car, fuck knows if it's the same motor? then she said anything else done to the car, and I said going to do coils and brakes and maybe 1275+ motor and she said ok I'll put M plates on.

With the NSW system, getting M plates requires an engineers certificate + blue slip. H plates are ok for use with period mods, so the 1275, disc brake front are ok, but coil overs probably not

Mechanical 'Tard Cliffordcliffs's Avatar
    Details on the trailer?
    "Beware the lollipop of mediocrity: lick it once and you'll suck forever" Brian Wilson

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by too_much_boost View Post
    With the NSW system, getting M plates requires an engineers certificate + blue slip. H plates are ok for use with period mods, so the 1275, disc brake front are ok, but coil overs probably not
    Anyone seriously going to know the difference though?
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

Former hairdresser Captain_Slow's Avatar
    I thought you already had a Mini or you recently sold one? confused.jpg

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Anyone seriously going to know the difference though?
    Probably not, but i expect the fine could be significant and insurance would be void

Quote Originally Posted by Captain_Slow View Post
    I thought you already had a Mini or you recently sold one? confused.jpg
    Yes I do. but its differnt to this one hahaha

Quote Originally Posted by im_boostn View Post
    I think there's M plates because of the motor, the lady was asking me if the motor was the one that came with the car. I said it's a 1960s car, fuck knows if it's the same motor? then she said anything else done to the car, and I said going to do coils and brakes and maybe 1275+ motor and she said ok I'll put M plates on.
    its off to greig malaure tomorrow to sort out gremlins haha.

like you said, everyone thinks it must be some mental quick mini cause M plates hahahahah

I looked into nsw historic, I think i can get away with H plates with the mods. they dont mind if its 'period' or goes with the car. should be easy enough

cliff,

trailer was a cheapy. 1500. but heaps handy. registered as like one of those custom build ones so you can mod it however you like apparently. and cheap rego.

all I'm gonna do is put a better winch in it and change the ramps to flat one cause the ladder ones annoy me.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveB View Post
    I looked into nsw historic, I think i can get away with H plates with the mods. they dont mind if its 'period' or goes with the car. should be easy enough
    My mini is on nsw historic so i've recently gone through the process. As mentioned, the 1275 will be fine but the disk brakes will need to be from a mini of some type. Mini metro turbo 4 pots are probably the best option if you run 12's (but hard to find) but you might have to run cooper s 7.5's if you run 10's. Alloy 4 pot minisport fancy brakes wont be allowed.

I don't run coilovers but after having conversations with various clubs its unlikely they will be pass it. The clubs are the ones doing the eligibility inspection so are putting their cock on the block when passing your car (not to mention insurance stuff).

The only difference with H and M plates is the requirement to get an engineers certificate and blueslip. Once thats done they are much the same

A fair bit of getting mods passed under H plates is up to the club and whether they are prepared to risk losing their affiliation from passing cars they shouldn't

Certainly got your money's worth from that trailer!
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

(TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"

My mini is on nsw historic so i've recently gone through the process. As mentioned, the 1275 will be fine but the disk brakes will need to be from a mini of some type. Mini metro turbo 4 pots are probably the best option if you run 12's (but hard to find) but you might have to run cooper s 7.5's if you run 10's. Alloy 4 pot minisport fancy brakes wont be allowed.

I don't run coilovers but after having conversations with various clubs its unlikely they will be pass it. The clubs are the ones doing the eligibility inspection so are putting their cock on the block when passing your car (not to mention insurance stuff).

The only difference with H and M plates is the requirement to get an engineers certificate and blueslip. Once thats done they are much the same

A fair bit of getting mods passed under H plates is up to the club and whether they are prepared to risk losing their affiliation from passing cars they shouldn't
    pretty sure its just got cooper s 7.5 discs.

I've never had a mini with coils. I'm so used to hi lows that are well sorted so depending on how these feel I'll just go back to hi lows. I dont like anthing bigger than 10's on early minis either. Looks silly I think.

yeah, it seems case to case. I was going off whats on nsw mini club. that said, I'm not overly fussed. if not club rego I'll full rego it. I imagine I'll drive it enough to warrant full rego *maybe. who knows*

that said, dont have much more plans. just a 1275 with a few bits

cobra low backs

maybe half cage? dunno if worth doing

and just rally exteior bits. then drive it haha

yep cooper s 7.5s on it.

i reckon fix the rust in the fuel tank, fuel line, brake line and get the thing started again.

NSW mini club will be the strictest on mods based on my research. Remember these guys are cardigan wearing weirdos that know which brand rivet should go where and won't want the mini heritage tainted by people modding their beloved cars
    Historic rego now allows 60 days use per year PLUS club events. That's more than once a week. Also historic rego is like $100/year including green slip for the first year ($60 of that is upfront fee for purchasing the plates) then $40 per year after that. Sure beats 1000+/year for full rego

Cage will need engineers cert. Doubt it needs a cage for a road car

I got my historic rego through ARDC classic. Pretty painless

Cage will need engineers cert. Doubt it needs a cage for cruising down Avenue Rd with his dog.
    Fixed

(TM - AVENGE)

Quote Originally Posted by im_boostn View Post
    yep cooper s 7.5s on it.

i reckon fix the rust in the fuel tank, fuel line, brake line and get the thing started again.
    yeah going to mini classic to get that done. I was gonna do it myself but no space so cbf haha.

how do I go through ardc? I'm a member. is it that simple? I can go through them. I'm not too fussed who its with really.

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    Fixed
    where am I going to tie her leash?!?!

Quote Originally Posted by LoveB View Post
    how do I go through ardc? I'm a member. is it that simple? I can go through them. I'm not too fussed who its with really.
    Info is here http://www.sydneymotorsportpark.com....c/ardcclassic/

If you are already a member then joining the 'Classic' sub-club is free. Just fill in a form or 2

When it comes to historic rego, they will guide you through the process.

What suburb are you in?

mosman

edit:

and thanks for that. Looks like I'll go with ardc haha.
    Last edited by LoveB; 01-05-17 at 03:45 PM.

let me know when you're ready to sell, have a driveline good to go for this

just sell me the driveline instead lolllllllllll

What engine conversion is planned for this? 4efte? G13b?

nah just 1275 or slightly bigger. maybe 1310 or thereabouts. undecided still. was thinking just a 1275 with a good ported head. weber. lsd. should be grunty enough.

I'd love a 5/6/7/8 port but would probably cost heaps.

otherwise if theres one cheap enough I'd love an NB/NC spec motor.

I'm not a fan of swapping out motors from other brands into it haha