Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Morris mini

yeah both the hinges are loose. will tighten over the weekend and align then retouch where the door has touched.

so -

car went to mechanic on tues cause the generator wasnt generating and I opted to put an alternator that would alternate. that went ok.

leave his workshop and theres a few other car shops there.turn lights on. they come on rather dim. i smell something like welding going on but think nothing of it.. get under a street light and notice theres smoke in the cabin lol *welcome back! says the british car*

turn lights off, look at wiring behind switch, yep toasted. mechanic tells me to come back. we have a look around. unplug wire thats shorting. tidy up wiring a bit. headlights work better and tacho is responding better.

check lights - brake lights work but no rear parkers.. hmmm.. open boot. welcomed by smoke haha. looked around and found this

seems like the little hole that still has sharp edges wore the wires out and grounded them.

fixed that. still no rear lights. tested wire at switch (unplugged it earlier) still shorting.

decide, fuck it. its british. I'll drive home with no rear parkers.

get halfway home. lose low beam at stop light. switch to high beam - back in business haha.

sooo basically I'm fairly certain the short in the boot must have melted the wiring heading towards the switch. so I think it'll be a case of tracing the wiring to the boot and replacing it. not sure about the head light. probably a loose wire cause had to unplug some to get to it.

but yeah, car drives nice overall. needs to be a bit faster and just need to find out why the suspension bangs over dips.

gave it a quick wash and wax anyway so more pics of the exact same shit

**polluting itsnotagsrs neighbourhood **

needs a good polish but comes up nice

Last edited by LoveB; 11-05-17 at 11:20 AM.

Today you, Tomorrow you. tomvale13's Avatar
    So cool.

You can buy new front door trims from newton commercial in uk. Not fun things to fit though
    Disclaimer: I may have no idea what I am talking about

im afraid to see what newton charges for door cars haha.

im gonna put a racing roundel on the doors too

Little engine that could. itsnotagsr's Avatar
    Send me a text if you're the area! Keen to see this in person.

Roundels will look killer.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

"In Japan we no give fark for Subaru" - Trust Japan Technical Director
    (TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"
    Juha Kankkunen - Rally of Argentina '02

send me your number!

I'll sus the lights out on the weekednd so hopefully can drive at night again haha

I got my new door cards for around 100 for the pair. Surprised me how cheap they were. I got F+R for 200ish

http://oz.minisport.com/mini-interio...n-1962-67.html

Shipping might hurt, but its a good excuse to pad your order out to just under 1k to get the most out of your shipping
    Disclaimer: I may have no idea what I am talking about

might be enough of a reason to get minilights or mambas haha

see that's why mini's are dangerous.. they seem so cheap to modify, but then you end up ordering 284 things online because everything is individually so cheap

glad to see this being driven around, it was sitting in the garage for a while

im hanging for the lights to be fixed so I can drive it more haha. its getting a polish and ceramic coating in a week or two. lol

you can use it whenever im in melbourne and tow it down with me anyway

How hard would it be to just rewire it? Ie if there was a new complete harness? That would eliminate the 50yo wiring issues.
    "If you can make black marks on a straight from the time you turn out of a corner until the braking point of the next turn, then you have enough horsepower." - Mark Donahue Penske Porsche 917

(TM - AVENGE)

"You can never have enough power. I remember when we had Group B cars... THEN we had enough power!"

apparently its a pain. BUT that said I will still do it... in time. I wanna drive around a bit first. im gonna try and do the rear part of the wiring tomorrow. but once Ive decided on spotties etc and what other stuff I'll have I'll get a whole harness for it. probably do it while I do the motor

Was just coming in to say nice, love the colour and condition of it. There is two schools, modify or keep stock. But end of the day just do with what you want. Particularly as it is an 850, go nuts and you can always keep the original bits on the shelf.

Dad has just got a 1962 997cc Mini Cooper in original condition so that one is going to stay that way due to rarity.

Sent from my XT1580 using Tapatalk

997 cooper is rare!!!!!!!!!!!

ill stay period correct atleast. but I think they'll still atleast be able to keep some value that way. but i just want to have fun with it

Quote Originally Posted by itsnotagsr View Post
    How hard would it be to just rewire it? Ie if there was a new complete harness? That would eliminate the 50yo wiring issues.
    There is a mob in Melbourne, tell them what mini you have and if you need fuel pump wiring, headlight relays etc. give them $450 and you get back a wiring loom, it's not too tricky to tear out old loom and put new one in.

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post
    There is a mob in Melbourne, tell them what mini you have and if you need fuel pump wiring, headlight relays etc. give them $450 and you get back a wiring loom, it's not too tricky to tear out old loom and put new one in.
    Seems like a cheap solution given the alternative of 50yo Lucas electrics!

(TM - AVENGE)

Quote Originally Posted by clutch-monkey View Post

pretty sure i spoke to them when my other mini wiring went up in flames LOL

I forget what they are called tho.

and considering the lucas one is still the cloth one, its probably a good idea hey lol

lets disregard the fact that its currently held up with cans lol should I fit both my super oscars? was originally thinking of italian job bar mount but I lost my smaller cibie iode so I'm thinking of just using a works bar and fitting both super oscars.

some say its too big. I reckon thats the whole point of rally lights haha.

would also appear ive acquired some bits for a twinky conversion.

Quote Originally Posted by LoveB View Post
    pretty sure i spoke to them when my other mini wiring went up in flames LOL

I forget what they are called tho.

and considering the lucas one is still the cloth one, its probably a good idea hey lol
    vintage looms or something
    lights look huge, the ones off a rover mini might work better?

I was thinking a set of lucas ones. but then they look so small. I'll probably get the works mount and fit these anyway. and if its too big I'll just switch over to lucas ones.

Needs more lights

(TM - AVENGE)

Would probably try and keep it looking period.

was thinking of going the whole spotties shebang. but too many then I think LOL

the 2 lamp is still pretty period as its what was used in the works cars. but the size of the lights maybe not. I'll probably fit them for a few months then switch to lucas ones. Ill need to see the motor doesnt get hot with the lights blocking it anyway haha

Eh, I reckon go with the Cheebees.

| 1963 RK43 Toyota Lite-Stout (Stanley) | 2002 EC5W Mitsubishi Legnum VR-4 Type-S (Larry) |

Quote Originally Posted by Gammaboy View Post
    PF - We're not happy till you're not happy.

got a bit bored last night and decided to have a go at the wiring

(no low beams and rear parkers)

checked behind switch to trace the wire that had burnt itself. peeled it back and added new wire and sealed it. although I found when I plugged it back into the switch the draw on the voltage meter would go up a fair amount. the rear parkers would work but dimly. went to boot and unplugged the rear number plate light (where the ground originally started I think) and voila. rear parkers work properly and no big draw on amp meter. So I decided to just leave the rear plate light unplugged and just separate the wires.theres a ground somewhere in the boot light and I cant find where atm so no boot light no problem haha.

for the low beam I checked a few of the headlight wiring behind the grill. but when I went to check the foot switch I found that the wire had slipped out of the spade so it wasnt making a connection. all in all was easy thankfully haha.

so now we can drive at night again

that means its now drivable into work again

suppose it says a bit - or a lot about lucas electrics when an absolute electrical potato can work it lol

I don't mean to be critical or a downer on your car, but, when I look at it the whole colour scheme jars with me a little. I wonder if there are to many colours, White roof, red body, black flares, the more prominent Cooper S moulding, the polished wheel rim and the gold wheel centre.

Congratulations, by the way, on getting that Cooper S moulding on there so well!

I wonder if the look would gell better with me if the wheels were one colour, probably just a painted silver? I'm not sure...

Wouldn't stop me from appreciating it if I saw it in traffic, and reflecting on what a marvel of a car the Mini is. I saw one yesterday, a Leyland S, and it just lifts the heart.

Not at all as thats exactly how I feel about it. I got it this way. but its a good base. I've got some silver mambas on the way and I was thinking of painting the black flares red as well (although the rally cars seem to have them black) but I reckon white roof, red flares and silver wheels would look better.

I know what you mean about the mould. my two previous minis didnt have the mould and they were still a bastard to install on an even easier surface!!!

I reckon a leather hood strap like the rally version pictured above would be tits. You should do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dimi View Post
    80mm of penetration isn't bad, i wish i had that much.
    Quote Originally Posted by schnitzelburger View Post
    My entire working career pretty much consists of suckin dick and takin names.

Sometimes im too busy to take names.