Thread: Abnormal tyre wear

Abnormal tyre wear

Guys,

Need some advice. A while ago the nopics was hit in the rear quarter by a truck. Not too much damage but smashed the rear door window and side window, broken tail light. Truck didba runner so bent over and sorted insurance myself.

Was all repaired and looked great.

Since that time ive had issues with chewing out rear tyres.

Got a set replaced and got the shop to do a wheel alignment, they said itbwas all sorted etc.

Que about 9 months later and another set is chewed. Buy, aligned (different shop).

Now i ive just done a trip to Sydney and back, i noticed that during the trip that i could hear a small wirrrrring noise, has gotten louder since returning to Brisbane.

So thinking the diff was going, i jacked up the car and checked it, seemed to make normal noises.

I then checked the rear tyres. Yep fucked out again.

What can cause rhis type of wear? Too much toe out? Why cant these tyre monkeys align my shit?

Sent from my LG-H815 using Tapatalk
    '06 Subaru Liberty Wagon 3.0R-B
    '03 Lexus IS300 2JZGTE

Purist, whats that? Jason Broadhurst's Avatar
    Which bit looks bad in that photo?
    Jason Broadhurst

Someone once asked me if they could use my mower. I said "sure, so long as it doesn't leave my yard"

Top right bit, see how it is worn?

Will post a pic of another previous tyre that has it a bit worse.
    '03 Lexus IS300 2JZGTE

Couple of previous tyres, 6 months apart. Yes, a couple of shops have "checked alignment". I'm starting to think they might need to check the subframe.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20151226_103314_HDR.jpg 
Views:	21 
Size:	115.0 KB 
ID:	99378

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	20150912_134236_HDR.jpg 
Views:	20 
Size:	196.8 KB 
ID:	99379
    '03 Lexus IS300 2JZGTE

Something is bent probably not subframe but the exact car model would be helpful some cars have piss weak subframes some don't. Also if the wear is a little bumpy your shock is fucked

I did 7 years of smash repair on suspension for three smash repairers.
    Quote Originally Posted by Lord_fahrquhar View Post
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

2006 Subaru Liberty.

Shocks were replaced before this issue.

'03 Lexus IS300 2JZGTE

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    2006 Subaru Liberty.

Shocks were replaced before this issue.

From memory they have two lower control arms per side with only limited adjustment. Take it to a good alignment shop and ask for only a print out and post here and I bet we will see the problem straight away.
    The au put the fucking tunnel in with the bullbar. Even Chuck Norris respects the ability of the au coon.

Actually 2006 is the multi link but still get a printout.

That's very bad wear. Must have too much camber or some toe out, which should be obvious for an alignment. Is wheel bearing OK?
    Jason, 1983 GTV6 2.8, 1974 2000GTV Group Nc

Quote Originally Posted by GTV View Post
    That's very bad wear. Must have too much camber or some toe out, which should be obvious for an alignment. Is wheel bearing OK?
    A wheel bearing might be borked but will not cause noticeable wear also the wear in the first photo looks crazy but is actually accentuated by the tyre design the wear in the later photos was corrected but not correctly as there is not enough adjustment in these if there is something bent. Not to mention you don't want to over adjust something to compensate for bent components which is why manufactures don't give you much adjustment.

The tyre in the first photo has a fractured steel belt in the tread.

Quote Originally Posted by BigJonWB View Post
    The tyre in the first photo has a fractured steel belt in the tread.
    Please explain,

Look at the relation between the tread and the sidewall. It changes around the circumference of the tyre.

Look at the relation between the tread and the sidewall. It changes around the circumference of the tyre.
    Yea I noticed that and need more photographic evidence to come to that decision as some tyres actually look like that.

Big john may be infact on top of this and right but the op still needs to post more pics. I 'm starting to think BJ nailed it.
    Last edited by Rdyno; 03-05-17 at 12:09 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Rdyno View Post
    Yea I noticed that and need more photographic evidence to come to that decision as some tyres actually look like that.
    They look like that if they are fucked.

They look like that if they are fucked.
    Yea you are right if you look at the tread lines where they stop you can see it. Sorry you have an egal eye and were right.

I will say it's hard to judge off one photo but BJW nailed it good on you.
    Last edited by Rdyno; 03-05-17 at 12:13 AM.

It is a interesting theory but the other side tyre is the same as i mentioned. Bit wierd to have both fail.

Im going to get the insurance company involved. And as you said, get another wheel alignment with the printout.

'03 Lexus IS300 2JZGTE

For reference here is whamt they should look like.

Tyre off front.

'03 Lexus IS300 2JZGTE

Wheel alignment isn't go to fix broken tyres. Either impact damage of a manufacturing fault.

Opinionated Cunt perthdrivers.txt's Avatar
    That kind of wear right on the edge isn't usually a camber issue, it's way too much toe-out

Quote Originally Posted by Jim View Post
    I feel that rules are important as without rules there is no cheating and cheating is a vital part of drag racing.
    Quote Originally Posted by elfturbomax View Post
    What has happened to PF? It seems to be diesel love now days. Maybe the name should be changed to Particulate Forums.
    3x1UZ+1x2UR...

Wheel alignment isn't go to fix broken tyres. Either impact damage of a manufacturing fault.
    Sure a broken tyre might be very possible, I just can't get past that it's done the same thing to multiple tyres from different brands.

Quote Originally Posted by perthdrivers.txt View Post
    That kind of wear right on the edge isn't usually a camber issue, it's way too much toe-out
    That's what I was kind of thinking, even though the tyre blokes seem to think it's ok. Will call insurance company today and see what the options are, may take it to Ken at accurate to get a professional look at the geometry.
    '03 Lexus IS300 2JZGTE

+ 1 for toe out. A little neg camber won't wear the inside that quickly, unless you are doing lots of burnouts. A lot of neg camber eg 3%+, would be visually obvious to you.

Another thought - given the uneven nature of the wear, are you sure it's not rubbing on something?

EDIT: Do you know how to stringline a car? You should be able to check the toe yourself with this method.
    Last edited by Sprinkles; 03-05-17 at 02:54 PM.

Looks like it is rubbing on something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

No idea on stringlines, something that I've always thought "I really should learn to do that" but then just pay some bloke to slap it on a machine.

Stan, yeah that is what I thought at first too, but the only thing the tyres can hit is the plastic inner guard and there is not a mark on them.
    '03 Lexus IS300 2JZGTE

What about under full suspension compression/droop? Doesn't look like an alignment issue to me. Viewing the pics on my phone tho, so might be missing something.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Quote Originally Posted by Nick View Post
    No idea on stringlines, something that I've always thought "I really should learn to do that" but then just pay some bloke to slap it on a machine.

Stan, yeah that is what I thought at first too, but the only thing the tyres can hit is the plastic inner guard and there is not a mark on them.
    It's pretty straightforward, four axle stands and two bits of string and a tape measure is all you need. Run one bit of string between two axle stands next to the car at hub height, then do the same on the other side, making sure the two bits of string are perfectly parallel. Then measure the distance from the string to the rim edge (not the tyre) at hub height in front of the hub, then behind the hub ie 180 degree opposite. For zero toe, the measurement should be the same. If it's toeing out, the front measurement will be shorter than the back measurement.

I'll see if I can find you a video.

I had another thought, if you have really bad rear toe out, the car would be oversteering when turning in, do you notice that?

And here's the video. This guy is doing the toe on the front, but the same principle applies to the rear:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYhpBouhikk

actually, does look a lot like a tyre that is rubbing on the coilovers...
    Jason, 1983 GTV6 2.8, 1974 2000GTV Group Nc

Got a tyre on my car done same thing, but alignment, ok.

Did a bit of research with only a couple of links on the entire internet, but its called tyre tread/shoulder "separation"

Apparently can be a tyre defect apparently or overheated but I'm not entirely sure, mine are yum cha brand tyres however.

https://www.bobjane.com.au/info/tyre...n-information/

If you want to try and find more info look for "separation" in your google searches.

If you come up with concrete answer on the cause let me know.

Edit: And no it's not rubbing despite what internet mechanics say in most threads where someone asks about the same wear pattern.
    Last edited by RB30-POWER; 10-05-17 at 07:58 AM.

Something in the rear end is bent, either subframe or suspension arms. While it might be possible to get the alignment right to compensate, most aligners don't bother, hell most can't even get the car to drive straight after an alignment.
    Does the car drive straight when viewed from behind?
    Nopics had a similar issue on her old Magna after a motorbike hit the front wheel, no obvious damage but she suddenly started chewing out tyres and the CV joint. The impact had twisted the knuckle slightly. Couple of guys on another forum have had the same issue as well after hitting stuff with the wheels.